Boalt 3L worth returning to school? (Employment Prospects) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kronk

Diamond

Re: Boalt 3L worth returning to school? (Employment Prospects)

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 am

Last edited by Kronk on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:22 am

Just FYI, we just got the 2010 OCI Bid / Offer / Accept spreadsheet, and I did an approximate count of a 133 people that got jobs from OCI last year, with about triple that in offers (mostly to the same people, I would assume).

So that 30% number must be wrong somehow, or at least skewed. We have a 270-ish person class, but if it gets a big bigger with the transfer class maybe? So 280-290, with 133-ish getting SAs. That'd be about 45%-50% of the class that got jobs through OCI, all those a couple of those offers were government organizations that came to OCI. Either way, I am guessing that 30% stat must have been either a total flame or a number CDO gave out before offers had been accepted or something. Don't know. Can only say that the CDO says the spreadsheet I just read was information from the employers, not from the students.

It was also evident people bid based on location rather than where they would want to get a job. MoFo and Kirkland recruit for all their offices, but each had 100+ bids just for the SF offices and didn't give out near that many interviews, obviously. I imagine if some of those people had big on NYC firms instead they might have had more success. Although if they're anything like me, they didn't big on NYC firms because they hate NYC.
30% was for 2009. 45-50% seems about right.

Also you should probably post this anonymously.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Just FYI, we just got the 2010 OCI Bid / Offer / Accept spreadsheet, and I did an approximate count of a 133 people that got jobs from OCI last year, with about triple that in offers (mostly to the same people, I would assume).

So that 30% number must be wrong somehow, or at least skewed. We have a 270-ish person class, but if it gets a big bigger with the transfer class maybe? So 280-290, with 133-ish getting SAs. That'd be about 45%-50% of the class that got jobs through OCI, all those a couple of those offers were government organizations that came to OCI. Either way, I am guessing that 30% stat must have been either a total flame or a number CDO gave out before offers had been accepted or something. Don't know. Can only say that the CDO says the spreadsheet I just read was information from the employers, not from the students.

It was also evident people bid based on location rather than where they would want to get a job. MoFo and Kirkland recruit for all their offices, but each had 100+ bids just for the SF offices and didn't give out near that many interviews, obviously. I imagine if some of those people had big on NYC firms instead they might have had more success. Although if they're anything like me, they didn't big on NYC firms because they hate NYC.

For what it's worth, I'd say about 75% of the class does OCI in a wholehearted manner.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Desert Fox: You are just a hard-core anti-Boalt troll. I am pasting a link below of a graph from this website that actually shows close to 50% for the class of 2009.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150681

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm

What's sad is that TLS is one of the few places where trolls can be so successful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
For what it's worth, I'd say about 75% of the class does OCI in a wholehearted manner.
If what you're saying is accurate then: .75 x 270 = 202 students and 133/202 x 100 = 65.8%

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
If what you're saying is accurate then: .75 x 270 = 202 students and 133/202 x 100 = 65.8%
I'd say I'm within 5% of being right. I also just looked at the data and there are a few missing offers that I'm aware of (where there are blanks, but I have personal knowledge of individuals working there). Could mean they didn't get them through OCI, but helpful, nonetheless.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Desert Fox: You are just a hard-core anti-Boalt troll. I am pasting a link below of a graph from this website that actually shows close to 50% for the class of 2009.

OCI 2009 you dumbass.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

OCI 2009 you dumbass.
Good job. You demonstrated my 0L nube-ish-ness by pointing out this (not insignificant) distinction (between class of '09 and OCI '09).

BUT STILL. If you're gonna call me a dumbass like saying BOOM case-closed, you better come up with some actual data to support that 30% claim of yours.

Otherwise the troll accusation stands!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Shut the fuck up, you are out of your element.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 pm

DF isn't trolling, and the 30% wasn't his stat. Someone else put that out there, and DF was just pointing out that the 30% stat was from 2009 OCI rather than the 2010 numbers being discussed now.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Kronk wrote:DF isn't trolling, and the 30% wasn't his stat. Someone else put that out there, and DF was just pointing out that the 30% stat was from 2009 OCI rather than the 2010 numbers being discussed now.
Believe me. I understand.
I just don't think he is right about 2009 OCI being 30%.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Shut the fuck up, you are out of your element.
How 'bout less aggression and more data please? What is your source for 30% 2009 OCI?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Kronk wrote:DF isn't trolling, and the 30% wasn't his stat. Someone else put that out there, and DF was just pointing out that the 30% stat was from 2009 OCI rather than the 2010 numbers being discussed now.
Believe me. I understand.
I just don't think he is right about 2009 OCI being 30%.
He wasn't even arguing that. Someone else was.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote: 30% was for 2009. 45-50% seems about right.
Kronk: Respectfully, you missed it. Desert Fox quotes 30% here as fact.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:56 pm

The internet, where everyone has an opinion and people get angry about nothing.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:00 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:The internet, where everyone has an opinion and people get angry about nothing.
Are you guys saying I'm off-base? I just hate the amount of unsubstantiated data and information that gets thrown around this site.

As someone on their way to Boalt, I felt I had a right to call him on it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Respectfully, no he doesn't. DF doesn't know shit about the 30% number except that someone else quoted it. He didn't argue the 30% number either way. If you want to know about the 30% number, ask the troll who started this thread (boaltrising3L).

ETA: And as far as I'm aware, the 30% number was a rumor that some people started, saying that CDO told them 30% got jobs at OCI. No one ever substantiated it, but it was flying around in this thread and on xoxo. I would guess the real number was more around 40-45%, but I have no idea.
Last edited by Kronk on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:The internet, where everyone has an opinion and people get angry about nothing.
And bilbobaggins, I've seen your ire raised a couple of times when people have served up BS on Boalt in the past. I liked that about you.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Kronk wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Respectfully, no he doesn't. DF doesn't know shit about the 30% number except that someone else quoted it. He didn't argue the 30% number either way. If you want to know about the 30% number, ask the troll who started this thread (boaltrising3L).
I wasn't referring to you, Rock, about the anger.

This is sort of bullshit, dude. If he doesn't know the number to be accurate he shouldn't be presenting it as such. By saying "30% was for 2009" he is presenting it as such. If someone says it like that people are going to ask why he's quoting that number. If it's not his number, he should attribute it. This is how trolling in general and Boalt-trolling in particular generally occurs.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
I wasn't referring to you, Rock, about the anger.

This is sort of bullshit, dude. If he doesn't know the number to be accurate he shouldn't be presenting it as such. By saying "30% was for 2009" he is presenting it as such. If someone says it like that people are going to ask why he's quoting that number. If it's not his number, he should attribute it. This is how trolling in general and Boalt-trolling in particular generally occurs.
Thanks. That's how I feel.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Well I edited it to show where the 30% number came from. DF isn't an idiot, and he knows the difference between a rumor and a hard statistic (I would assume, though the dude can't spell so who knows).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I guess I need to retard proof my message for the boaltie 0Ls.

I was clearly referring to Kronks claim that the 30% figure must be wrong because he counts 45-50%. I replied that 30% was for a different year. If it would make you waterheads feel better, next time I will write it out as "The 30% claim was for 2009. That data is for 2010. That seems right."

That 165 25%ile really shows in some of these threads.

^That is Boalt antitrolling.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I guess I need to retard proof my message for the boaltie 0Ls.

I was clearly referring to Kronks claim that the 30% figure must be wrong because he counts 45-50%. I replied that 30% was for a different year. If it would make you waterheads feel better, next time I will write it out as "The 30% claim was for 2009. That data is for 2010. That seems right."

That 165 25%ile really shows in some of these threads.

^That is Boalt antitrolling.
I like how I defended you and then you diarrhead'd all over Boalt anyway. Shows the moral compass of someone from NorthwesTTTern.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Kronk wrote:Well I edited it to show where the 30% number came from. DF isn't an idiot, and he knows the difference between a rumor and a hard statistic (I would assume, though the dude can't spell so who knows).
Kronk: I'm saying the unsubstantiated BS people quote on here as fact DOES affect 0Ls who are just grasping at straws, trying to find a shred of meaningful data to help guide their decision of what law school to attend.

And it's neither here nor there, but if what you're saying is true about Dersert Fox's intention, he could have surely told me that instead of telling me to F' off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”