Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:10 am

I have heard different opinions from my classmates. I am very quiet at the firm I am a 2L summer associate at, but I sometimes wonder if they expect to see the "business personality" in summer associate? I work a lot, and am producing work product that they really like. I don't really socialize with my colleagues, and I am not sure if I should. They seem kind of busy...

Could you share your experiences/tips/thoughts? Are 2Ls supposed to show the "business personality"? Are we expected to make the law firm feel confident that we will be able to bring in business in the future? Thanks!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have heard different opinions from my classmates. I am very quiet at the firm I am a 2L summer associate at, but I sometimes wonder if they expect to see the "business personality" in summer associate? I work a lot, and am producing work product that they really like. I don't really socialize with my colleagues, and I am not sure if I should. They seem kind of busy...

Could you share your experiences/tips/thoughts? Are 2Ls supposed to show the "business personality"? Are we expected to make the law firm feel confident that we will be able to bring in business in the future? Thanks!


They don't expect you to bring in business, but you should try and socialize if possible. Have you tried asking any associates you've met to lunch? I'm assuming your firm allocates some money for associates to take SAs out to lunch, so they are usually happy to get a free lunch and get to know you (assuming they aren't particularly busy at the time).

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:07 am

Are you joking? Of course you have to bring in business--the firms isn't going to just pay you $160,000 if you have zero clients. You should aim to get at least $200,000 of business so that it will be profitable for the firm to hire you. Better start networking ASAP.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

Postby TTH » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:08 am

Cavalier wrote:Are you joking? Of course you have to bring in business--the firms isn't going to just pay you $160,000 if you have zero clients. You should aim to get at least $200,000 of business so that it will be profitable for the firm to hire you. Better start networking ASAP.


TITCR

At my firm, one of our SAs got a successful cert petition before the court but they dumped him like a bad habit because he couldn't get a pitch meeting with the GC of McDonnell Douglas. Fortunately, I know a bunch of people in the legal division of P&G and got them to retain us on a few matters. Not quite to 200k yet, but I think I'll be safe.

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:16 am

These guys are tooling you around. You absolutely do not have to bring in business as a summer associate. Period. Having said that, you definitely don't want to come across as a total wallflower and you should be socializing with your colleagues within reason. They should be asking you out to lunch and you should be receiving invitations to parties/dinners/ and other E&C events. If you are too timid to socialize with them--no matter how outstanding your work--how will you ever be able to ask a prospective client for business? Gone are the days when a firm can afford to stick someone in the library and expect to make money off them. Good luck.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Do you have to bring in business as a 2L summer associate?

Postby Moxie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 am

Knock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have heard different opinions from my classmates. I am very quiet at the firm I am a 2L summer associate at, but I sometimes wonder if they expect to see the "business personality" in summer associate? I work a lot, and am producing work product that they really like. I don't really socialize with my colleagues, and I am not sure if I should. They seem kind of busy...

Could you share your experiences/tips/thoughts? Are 2Ls supposed to show the "business personality"? Are we expected to make the law firm feel confident that we will be able to bring in business in the future? Thanks!


They don't expect you to bring in business, but you should try and socialize if possible. Have you tried asking any associates you've met to lunch? I'm assuming your firm allocates some money for associates to take SAs out to lunch, so they are usually happy to get a free lunch and get to know you (assuming they aren't particularly busy at the time).


^ This, unsurprisingly Knock comes in with the credited response.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.