knowing people at firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theturkeyisfat

Bronze

knowing people at firms

Post by theturkeyisfat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:34 pm

how much can this help you land a job, particularly at big firms?

ran12

Silver

Re: knowing people at firms

Post by ran12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:how much can this help you land a job, particularly at big firms?
Depends who you know and how legit the relationship is. Even if you know someone, unless they're managing partner or something like that, it'll help you get in the door but you still gotta ace the interview.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:02 am

90 % of life is showing up, and 73 % is having someone or two who like you when you show up.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:24 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:90 % of life is showing up, and 73 % is having someone or two who like you when you show up.
:?

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:45 am

I think that if you are otherwise within the grade/school range of what the firm hires, knowing someone may be enough to get you an initial interview. And, possibly, if you get to the call-back stage and your interview goes just average or above-average, knowing someone may help you get an offer when you otherwise wouldn't.

You have to remember, though, that firm hiring decisions are made according to the input of a whole host of people- your initial interviewer, your call-back interviewers, anyone you may have spoken to or who may have observed your conduct (i.e. receptionists, recruiting, etc...), and a hiring committee. If you haven't put forth a probable case on your own for why you should be hired, then it's unlikely that knowing one person is going to help you too much. Even if you know the managing partner, you'd have to know him pretty well for him/her to expend the "political capital" to get you into a firm with subpar academic credentials, or make up for poor interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

2LLLL wrote:I think that if you are otherwise within the grade/school range of what the firm hires, knowing someone may be enough to get you an initial interview. And, possibly, if you get to the call-back stage and your interview goes just average or above-average, knowing someone may help you get an offer when you otherwise wouldn't.

You have to remember, though, that firm hiring decisions are made according to the input of a whole host of people- your initial interviewer, your call-back interviewers, anyone you may have spoken to or who may have observed your conduct (i.e. receptionists, recruiting, etc...), and a hiring committee. If you haven't put forth a probable case on your own for why you should be hired, then it's unlikely that knowing one person is going to help you too much. Even if you know the managing partner, you'd have to know him pretty well for him/her to expend the "political capital" to get you into a firm with subpar academic credentials, or make up for poor interviews.
This pretty much sums it up. Do you know the person well enough that they would risk embarrassing themselves on your behalf if you turned out not to interview well, or are late, or some other thing? And if so, are they in a position to make themselves heard, or do they not really have the juice to help you even if they wanted to?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:03 pm

didn't really help me that much

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm also very interested in this. As an 0L, my current job puts me in constant contact with a bunch of librarians at firms across the country. I wonder whether knowing them might help one way or another.

I'm inclined to say that it does not. I let on to one of them that I was going to lawlschool, and they said that their daughter was still unemployed after graduating from a T20. This was a V100 firm...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”