Summer Clerkship can lead to...??? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Diesel123

New

Summer Clerkship can lead to...???

Post by Diesel123 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster. I just finished my 1L year at a top-25 school and finished with slightly below a 3.0. When I say slightly below I mean absurdly close, but nonetheless below 3.0. Now, I have a summer clerkship locked in at a solid firm, which I got through personal networks (don't want this to sound douchey). This GPA is driving me insane because I know it is going to hurt me when I search for a job in the next 2 years. I was wondering, however, how much this 1L summer clerkship will help me. I am realistic and realize that it will not offset my lower GPA, but how will this look on my resume, and can I hope for this clerkship to potentially lead to something longterm in the future or at least help me land a job in the future? Thank you for any info and suggestions.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Summer Clerkship can lead to...???

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:18 pm

If the firm gives you an offer to return as a 2L, and or straight-up give you a permanent offer, it can be a full time job, which is great. Otherwise just having it on your resume is really not much of a boost. It's a boost, but really just adds a little color / talking points to your resume and not much else.

westbayguy

Bronze

Re: Summer Clerkship can lead to...???

Post by westbayguy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Diesel123 wrote:Good afternoon everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster. I just finished my 1L year at a top-25 school and finished with slightly below a 3.0. When I say slightly below I mean absurdly close, but nonetheless below 3.0. Now, I have a summer clerkship locked in at a solid firm, which I got through personal networks (don't want this to sound douchey). This GPA is driving me insane because I know it is going to hurt me when I search for a job in the next 2 years. I was wondering, however, how much this 1L summer clerkship will help me. I am realistic and realize that it will not offset my lower GPA, but how will this look on my resume, and can I hope for this clerkship to potentially lead to something longterm in the future or at least help me land a job in the future? Thank you for any info and suggestions.
Where does your GPA put you in the class? top 1/3? 1/2? If your school has a harsh curve it might not be so bad (but probably is :( )

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”