0L summer legal employment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

0L summer legal employment?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm currently a 0L, will be starting at a T15 school in the fall- a family friend has her own extremely successful family law practice (in a big city) and she's offered me a job clerking for her. I'll be getting paid $15/hr and have the option to continue working part time during the school year as a 1L. I'm so grateful for her help buy I have no interest in ultimately working in family law and would ideally like a 1L SA position at a big firm (I realize this might not happen- defiantly as a 2L though). I don't really need the money, so I'm wondering how helpful this experience will be in landing me a SA position as a 1L or 2L considering my other WE is minimal. If anything she is well-connected and could help me get a 1L SA position at a firm more relevant to what I eventually want to do. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!!

Rooney

Re: 0L summer legal employment?

Postby Rooney » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Definitely take that! I'd pass on working during 1L but any connection you can get in the legal community is a boost. The money sounds good and above all, it will expose you to the day to day work of an attorney/firm. (even if you don't need the $ or want to work that area of the law, go for it)

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:58 pm

How could it hurt? You don't have to commit to being there for 1L summer, but that's decent money for an 0L summer job, and will at least give you something to discuss when interviewing for 1L jobs.

Paul Muad'dib

Postby Paul Muad'dib » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:28 pm

These days, there are virtually no "1L SA" positions, and there are plenty of unemployed licensed attorneys who are working for free as clerks at firms they have no interest in just to avoid the dreaded resume gap...I say, take up your family friend's offer and be glad of it.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:31 pm

lol "t15"

Return to “Legal Employment”