Lavender Law Career Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kretzy

Silver

Re: Lavender Law Career Fair

Post by Kretzy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 pm

jay115 wrote:BTW, all the LA Law Schools are trying to organize an awesome weho night for all of you Lav Law LA visitors, so look out for it!
Excellent :mrgreen:

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:33 pm

jay115 wrote:
BTW, all the LA Law Schools are trying to organize an awesome weho night for all of you Lav Law LA visitors, so look out for it!
West Hollywood? That's like, the gay Mecca for LA right?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Kretzy wrote:
jay115 wrote:BTW, all the LA Law Schools are trying to organize an awesome weho night for all of you Lav Law LA visitors, so look out for it!
Excellent :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:03 pm

jay115 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping an older thread, but I was wondering if it's worth attending Lavender Law if you're not exactly a stellar student. I'm at a T25 and at median and I couldn't get interviews with these firms through my schools preselect because of my grades. I'm mostly interested in the non-firm employers, particularly the NYC DA office and the SF DA office. My school offers absolutely no funding for travel expenses so I'd be paying for it on my own.

I know the employers that attend Lavender Law want the top of the class, especially the empolyer's I'm interested in. What do you guys think?
Gonna be tough to swing SF DA bc they're currently in a hiring freeze.

A lot of the firms coming to lav law will be NY biglaw firms, so the GPA cutoff will be equivalent to what it would be if those employers came to your school's OCIP.
So basically not worth it? I'm literally at median and almost all the firms at my school want top 1/3 at least.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping an older thread, but I was wondering if it's worth attending Lavender Law if you're not exactly a stellar student. I'm at a T25 and at median and I couldn't get interviews with these firms through my schools preselect because of my grades. I'm mostly interested in the non-firm employers, particularly the NYC DA office and the SF DA office. My school offers absolutely no funding for travel expenses so I'd be paying for it on my own.

I know the employers that attend Lavender Law want the top of the class, especially the empolyer's I'm interested in. What do you guys think?

A lot of the firms coming to lav law will be NY biglaw firms, so the GPA cutoff will be equivalent to what it would be if those employers came to your school's OCIP.
So basically not worth it? I'm literally at median and almost all the firms at my school want top 1/3 at least.
I would suggest (1) asking the SF DA recruiting coordinator to see whether they've lifted the hiring freeze, or (2) your CSO adviser.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Correct. Not worth it. The only thing the lavender law fair may do for you is get you the interview you could not get on campus. As a rule firms will not hire someone at a career fair that they would not have even considered interviewing at that person's own school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:33 am

Does anyone know how you schedule interviews? Is it just table talks and you walk up? or is there a limited number of firms you can sign up for... Just not sure how this works at all.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:55 pm

i hear most attendees go because it ends up being an all-out orgy (although considering what most law students look like, i'm not sure why this would be something to look forward to) and the pool at the hotel becomes this warm stew of DNA and STDs. any truth to this?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:07 pm

f0bolous wrote:i hear most attendees go because it ends up being an all-out orgy (although considering what most law students look like, i'm not sure why this would be something to look forward to) and the pool at the hotel becomes this warm stew of DNA and STDs. any truth to this?
the pool at the hotel is actually quite nice (it's a rooftop pool overlooking Los Angeles), but it's uber-small. That's a lot of speedos (and muff) for a tiny pool though...

and don't lie - i know everyone who isnt in DP-bound is looking forward to a lil Lav Law fun

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:49 am

jay115 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:i hear most attendees go because it ends up being an all-out orgy (although considering what most law students look like, i'm not sure why this would be something to look forward to) and the pool at the hotel becomes this warm stew of DNA and STDs. any truth to this?
the pool at the hotel is actually quite nice (it's a rooftop pool overlooking Los Angeles), but it's uber-small. That's a lot of speedos (and muff) for a tiny pool though...

and don't lie - i know everyone who isnt in DP-bound is looking forward to a lil Lav Law fun

I've been looking for a reason to wear my squarecut trunks! Don't get much call for them in the states!

LGLA in Los Angles

New

Post by LGLA in Los Angles » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 pm

LAVENDER LAW KICKOFF CELEBRATION!
Friday, September 9
7:00--9:30pm

LGLA [Lesbian & Gay Lawyer Association of Los Angeles—LA’s gay & lesbian Bar Association) and The City of West Hollywood (with Mayor John Duran and Councilman John Heilman) host a Kickoff Celebration for LAVENDER LAW at the Here Lounge in West Hollywood from 7--9:30 pm. Join LGLA members and Conference attendees, attorneys and law students from all over the country at this festive evening.

Expect discount drinks and special Lavender Law drinks created just for the occasion! Mayor Duran and John Heilman will provide a special personal meet and greet at 7:30pm.

Here Lounge
696 N. Robertson Blvd
West Hollywood 90069
Friday, September 9
7--9:30pm

LGLA in Los Angles

New

Post by LGLA in Los Angles » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57 pm

For information about Lavender Law:

http://www.lgbtbar.org/annual/

For info about West Hollywood and places and events:

http://visitwesthollywood.com/

West Hollywood is only a few miles from host hotel...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:29 pm

whos going?!?!?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Not really helpful to post that Anon.

We'll have a pretty big contingent from NYU at Lavender Law (although a fair number will be missing the career fair), including me. NYU is basically paying for the whole trip. The Career Fair is kind of late in the cycle, though. Unless you look at risk for striking out, it's mostly going to be good for schmoozing, IMO, and getting a sense of the place or places where you already have an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm

BenJ wrote:Not really helpful to post that Anon.

We'll have a pretty big contingent from NYU at Lavender Law (although a fair number will be missing the career fair), including me. NYU is basically paying for the whole trip. The Career Fair is kind of late in the cycle, though. Unless you look at risk for striking out, it's mostly going to be good for schmoozing, IMO, and getting a sense of the place or places where you already have an offer.
you don't think its worth it to go to try to get a callback?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:19 pm

-
Last edited by BenJ on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:38 pm

there's obviously gonna be a ton of people fro the LA schools - UCLA included. i hope to see some of you at one of the dozens of socials!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:45 am

I've never been to something like this. Do you just drop your resume off at the tables? Do you sit down and talk? Confused on how to approach it? Like a screener?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Has anyone been getting callbacks/offers from this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:10 pm

I know of two people who got CBs from this, both in NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:26 pm

LA CB.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:22 am

nope

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:03 am

Had a blast this year, can't wait to go again next year. I do know, though, that my firm from last summer did not extend any callbacks from the Career Fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 am

A couple of the firms I met with did intimate that, due to the timing of the fair in relation to ever earlier OCIs, getting a callback/offer out of the fair was becoming more difficult.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:26 am

I got 2 CBs from NY and 1 from SF. I feel pretty lucky.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”