International Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Njdeh

International Law

Postby Njdeh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Other than Academia, what positions can one find with an LLM in International Law?

dpk711

Re: International Law

Postby dpk711 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 pm

International Law is largely a myth.

jonas

Postby jonas » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 pm

If you're interested in international arbitration or international trade, look at the DC and London offices of big firms like Skadden, Cleary, Covington, Crowell & Moring, Allen & Overy, Freshfields, Linklaters, Latham & Watkins, Arnold & Porter, WilmerHale, Debevoise, King & Spalding, Hogan Lovells, Shearman & Sterling, Hughes Hubbard, Sidley Austin, etc.

There are also NGO and government positions (e.g., ICC Office of the Prosecutor, State Department attorney-advisor, Human Rights Watch), although those jobs are exceedingly hard to get.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm

LLMs outside of tax are rarely useful for domestic employment by U.S. citizens who hold JDs.

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Why is it that so many other 0Ls that I have talked to are interested in "International Law?" Is it even possible to work in this field? Does it actually exist?

SOCRATiC

Postby SOCRATiC » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 pm

chimp wrote:Why is it that so many other 0Ls that I have talked to are interested in "International Law?" Is it even possible to work in this field? Does it actually exist?

I have a theory, although it does come with a few flaws.

Many 0Ls want to become lawyers because law seems to be a very glamorous career path. Therefore, doing "international" law appears to be even more prestigious and glamorous.

Have they actually considered what lawyers actually do on a daily basis? Probably not. They probably think about themselves in glamorous attire, glamorously shaking hands with a colorful crowd of people, etc.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 pm

chimp wrote:Why is it that so many other 0Ls that I have talked to are interested in "International Law?" Is it even possible to work in this field? Does it actually exist?

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:21 am

International law is a booming field. Grab up that LLM and you will be beating employers off with a stick just waiting to get you to work doing "international lawyering."

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:25 am

I think 90% of the people I met at ASDs wanted to do International Law.
Meh, more jerbs for me.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 am

reasonable_man wrote:International law is a booming field. Grab up that LLM and you will be beating employers off with a stick just waiting to get you to work doing "international lawyering."

If I put up a bunch of "Abogado, Accidentes!" signs, is that international law?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm

rad law wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:International law is a booming field. Grab up that LLM and you will be beating employers off with a stick just waiting to get you to work doing "international lawyering."

Works for me brah

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 pm

These might be relevant to your interests:

http://www.hrw.org/en/about/jobs

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:55 pm

rad law wrote:

I think there'd be more money in "Abogado, Immigracion" practice. There are hundreds of those signs around here.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:01 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:These might be relevant to your interests:

OP should certainly look into getting on with HRW, but not count on it. Even getting general internship with them is next to impossible.

Merr

Postby Merr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm

jonas wrote:If you're interested in international arbitration or international trade, look at the DC and London offices of big firms like Skadden, Cleary, Covington, Crowell & Moring, Allen & Overy, Freshfields, Linklaters, Latham & Watkins, Arnold & Porter, WilmerHale, Debevoise, King & Spalding, Hogan Lovells, Shearman & Sterling, Hughes Hubbard, Sidley Austin, etc.

There are also NGO and government positions (e.g., ICC Office of the Prosecutor, State Department attorney-advisor, Human Rights Watch), although those jobs are exceedingly hard to get.

I have talked to some folks who work with state department lawyers doing international development work. The thing about that is from what they described you live in work in some pretty horrible places.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 pm

kapachino wrote:
SehMeSerrious wrote:These might be relevant to your interests:

OP should certainly look into getting on with HRW, but not count on it. Even getting general internship with them is next to impossible.

Over 100 applications a year for the LA internship and with 4-5 interns...yikes!

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:30 pm

http://www.un.org/en/law/ this is quite different, though, i'm assuming.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Conflicts of Law in the international setting is quite interesting.

But 'international lawyers' don't work on that sort of thing, regular lawyers do.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 am

Merr wrote:
jonas wrote:If you're interested in international arbitration or international trade, look at the DC and London offices of big firms like Skadden, Cleary, Covington, Crowell & Moring, Allen & Overy, Freshfields, Linklaters, Latham & Watkins, Arnold & Porter, WilmerHale, Debevoise, King & Spalding, Hogan Lovells, Shearman & Sterling, Hughes Hubbard, Sidley Austin, etc.

I have talked to some folks who work with state department lawyers doing international development work. The thing about that is from what they described you live in work in some pretty horrible places.

Define "horrible place". Also, anyone who goes into international development/international human rights who thinks that you won't be working in rough conditions is a fool.

Return to “Legal Employment”