All my grades are in from UVA. Fell from Top 10% to Top 33%

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

All my grades are in from UVA. Fell from Top 10% to Top 33%

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Went from high 3.6 to a low 3.4 after Spring grades.

How will this effect my chances and what are the range of firms in NY that I should be looking at?

Anonymous User

Re: All my grades are in from UVA. Fell from Top 10% to Top 33%

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Went from high 3.6 to a low 3.4 after Spring grades.

How will this effect my chances and what are the range of firms in NY that I should be looking at?

How is this possible? I don't have a single grade in.

I guess I'd wait to see the info CSO said they would give us about GPA ranges, etc. That's tough luck -- any idea what happened?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 pm

I would seriously be shocked if this wasn't trolling. OP, what section are you in?

memaha

Postby memaha » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Well seeing as there is ONE property grade up, and NO conlaw grade up... OP, you must have magical powers.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Someone posted in the UVA 2L questions thread that a bunch of grades got posted without the corresponding evals. I guess it's possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm

memaha wrote:Well seeing as there is ONE property grade up, and NO conlaw grade up... OP, you must have magical powers.

Grades are coming up without Evals being posted. HTH.

Keep in mind that it is different this year, with only two 1L classes being shared.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 pm

The odds are still in your favor; while UVA won't release official numbers, I'd estimate that well over half (and perhaps two thirds) of people who did OGI landed summer associate positions. You should talk to career services to get a better idea of where a 3.4 is likely to get you, but basically, I'd recommend using a lot of bids on V50-V100 firms. You can still land at a higher ranked firm, but it will be more difficult and you want to ensure you have a lot of backup options, especially if the class of 2013 learns from last year and bids more heavily on NY this time around. You probably shouldn't use more than a couple in the V10--a 3.4 can still get you there, but it's unlikely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Cavalier wrote:The odds are still in your favor; while UVA won't release official numbers, I'd estimate that well over half (and perhaps two thirds) of people who did OGI landed summer associate positions. You should talk to career services to get a better idea of where a 3.4 is likely to get you, but basically, I'd recommend using a lot of bids on V50-V100 firms. You can still land at a higher ranked firm, but it will be more difficult and you want to ensure you have a lot of backup options, especially if the class of 2013 learns from last year and bids more heavily on NY this time around. You probably shouldn't use more than a couple in the V10--a 3.4 can still get you there, but it's unlikely.

I really was serious. I'd like to hear more on this if anyone has information.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:32 pm

SIS down for anyone else?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Nope, just worked fine for me.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 pm

First of all, the change from 1st to 2nd semester won't matter more than your average. That's a tough break, but a 3.4 is still a solid GPA to have from UVA, and is right around the top third.

You should bid up and down the vault range in NYC. Some firms to avoid that are extremely grade-sensitive are places like Cravath and S&C. After that, you've got what, 50 bids? If you're looking at NYC you might not even have to trim your list very much.

There are no guarantees in life and even fewer in OGI, but you've got better than a fighting chance. Do your research, stay positive, and make sure you also do mass mailings before OGI to keep your bases covered.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 pm

affect and effect don't mean the same thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

affect and effect don't mean the same thing.

Thanks!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:41 pm

TCR: negatively

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Cavalier wrote:The odds are still in your favor; while UVA won't release official numbers, I'd estimate that well over half (and perhaps two thirds) of people who did OGI landed summer associate positions. You should talk to career services to get a better idea of where a 3.4 is likely to get you, but basically, I'd recommend using a lot of bids on V50-V100 firms. You can still land at a higher ranked firm, but it will be more difficult and you want to ensure you have a lot of backup options, especially if the class of 2013 learns from last year and bids more heavily on NY this time around. You probably shouldn't use more than a couple in the V10--a 3.4 can still get you there, but it's unlikely.

What are the least selective V10s? Skadden?

Should I used my top bids on these firms or more firms along the lines of Akin Gump in the 25ish range?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Should I used my top bids on these firms or more firms along the lines of Akin Gump in the 25ish range?

There's no one right answer. Skadden NYC is probably not out of the question, but not terribly likely. You want to aim for the sweet spot of (1) large summer classes, (2) relatively non-picky with respect to grades, and (3) large NYC offices. That won't correspond perfectly with any Vault range, you'll have to dig deeper and take not of all the info you come up with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 am

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's no one right answer. Skadden NYC is probably not out of the question, but not terribly likely. You want to aim for the sweet spot of (1) large summer classes, (2) relatively non-picky with respect to grades, and (3) large NYC offices. That won't correspond perfectly with any Vault range, you'll have to dig deeper and take not of all the info you come up with.

Ok, thanks.

Is there any sort of bidding strategy you would recommend. In terms of where to rank a certain range of firms?

UVAHoo2013

Postby UVAHoo2013 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 am

do alot of people have grades already?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:20 am

A few questions pondering in my head....How big is the UVa TLS community? If it is quite large and the common knowledge seems to be that people should go towards NYC and not DC, does this open the backdoor a little bit for DC?

I feel like we could end up all having very similar/identical bidding strategies based on the advice of the generously helpful 2L/3Ls on TLS. It obviously wouldn't change the fact that DC has smaller class sizes, but I guess it would just make NYC more competitive if more people are learning from the mistakes of past OGI's. Either way, I think UVa TLS c/o 2013 really appreciates this help/advice.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 am

desertlaw wrote:A few questions pondering in my head....How big is the UVa TLS community? If it is quite large and the common knowledge seems to be that people should go towards NYC and not DC, does this open the backdoor a little bit for DC?

I feel like we could end up all having very similar/identical bidding strategies based on the advice of the generously helpful 2L/3Ls on TLS. It obviously wouldn't change the fact that DC has smaller class sizes, but I guess it would just make NYC more competitive if more people are learning from the mistakes of past OGI's. Either way, I think UVa TLS c/o 2013 really appreciates this help/advice.

I honestly think it's always been common knowledge, it just so happens that a large percentage of students at UVa want to work in DC or somewhere other than NY.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 am

If you're bidding NYC, then:

Definitely still bid on Davis Polk, Simpson Thacher, Skadden, Weil, and most any non-V10. They all dip down into the 3.5s and occasionally 3.4s. Maybe pick one or two of these to put in your "top 5" (I assume they're still doing a Top 5 system) as reaches.

Decide how risk averse you are with regard to bidding on Cleary, Debevoise, and Paul Weiss. You are probably outside of their range, but it wouldn't hurt to throw some bids at them near the bottom of your bid list, where you're not risking much.

Definitely don't waste a bid on Cravath or Sullivan & Cromwell. And a huge percentage of DC firms are also off limits.
Last edited by RVP11 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:46 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
desertlaw wrote:A few questions pondering in my head....How big is the UVa TLS community? If it is quite large and the common knowledge seems to be that people should go towards NYC and not DC, does this open the backdoor a little bit for DC?

I honestly think it's always been common knowledge, it just so happens that a large percentage of students at UVa want to work in DC or somewhere other than NY.

It was common knowledge for the class of 2012 that NY was way easier than DC and STILL that didn't affect our class's bidding. You have to figure that probably about 1/3 of the class has ties to DC/NoVA, and a significant percentage of everyone else went to UVA specifically because they believed we had a special edge in DC hiring. (We don't.)

plum

Postby plum » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 am

5ky wrote:Someone posted in the UVA 2L questions thread that a bunch of grades got posted without the corresponding evals. I guess it's possible.

^ this happened to me.

but what exactly is the problem OP, regression to the mean is inevitable

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:46 am

A few questions pondering in my head....How big is the UVa TLS community? If it is quite large and the common knowledge seems to be that people should go towards NYC and not DC, does this open the backdoor a little bit for DC?

DC will still be competitive. Many (if not most) students will use a large number of bids on DC; with 50 bids and 30 interviews, one can safely interview at several DC firms and have enough NY interviews to make striking out improbable. So even though the class of 2013 will probably lean more towards NY than previously, I don't think this will make DC a noticeably easier market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:26 am

Cavalier wrote:

DC will still be competitive. Many (if not most) students will use a large number of bids on DC; with 50 bids and 30 interviews, one can safely interview at several DC firms and have enough NY interviews to make striking out improbable. So even though the class of 2013 will probably lean more towards NY than previously, I don't think this will make DC a noticeably easier market.

I think we only get 20 interviews this year... I'm in a similar position as the OP (my grades dropped significantly between first and second semester). Does having a 1L SA help at all in what firms I realistically have a shot at? Or is that secondary to grades?

Return to “Legal Employment”