Two 2L summer jobs on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Two 2L summer jobs on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Because of financial difficulties, I was forced to take an RA position in addition to my full-time 2L SA gig at a mid-sized firm that does not give offers to its SAs, meaning that I'll have to look for a job come August. How do I address my summer situation on my resume?

I'm afraid that if I put down both the SA and the RA positions, recruiters will think (erroneously!) that my SA gig was part-time and not take me as seriously. On the other hand, having both things on there may prove that I have a good work ethic and am willing and able to work 80 hour weeks -- and emphasize my familiarity with the area of the law that I'm doing my RA work in.

So, do I include my RA position or not?

Re: Two 2L summer jobs on resume?

Postby ggocat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Yes, assuming you are a "summer associate" (rather than a "law clerk" at your firm). If the latter, then I would say "full-time law clerk" or something to that effect to convey it was full-time.

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:20 pm

I would put down both, and designate that the RA gig was part-time.

Postby Transpher » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 pm

It's also appropriate to include the hours you worked per week for each job in your work experience section, perhaps just after the position title. That's one way to indicate that you indeed had a very full work load over the summer. I would include the RA position.

Return to “Legal Employment”