Late for work on my first day for summer job... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Late for work on my first day for summer job...

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 31, 2011 11:45 pm

I was late for work this morning on my first day at my summer job, and overheard my boss say "this is really unprofessional." I don't now if they were talking about me when I came in, but the conversation stopped all of a sudden...Has that ever happened to you? What are ways to make up for this? I am really embarrassed, and have been feeling paranoid all day. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Platinum

Re: Late for work on my first day for summer job...

Post by 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Don't be late again and do your job really well. If you do those things odds are this will be forgotten in a few weeks. I don't think there is too much more you can do other than apologize.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 pm

chimp wrote:Don't be late again and do your job really well. If you do those things odds are this will be forgotten in a few weeks. I don't think there is too much more you can do other than apologize.
That's good advice, thanks! I did apologize, but I felt they kind of just ignored my apology and gave me the first day tour right away. Will they fire me? I have this fear that they will tell me to leave all of a sudden. The fear has been nagging at me all day, and it's killing me.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm

How late were you?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

TBF, that is really unprofessional.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:01 am

Why were you late?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:01 am

Yeah, dude. First day, I'm planning to be extra early as to make sure this doesn't happen. Just do good work, be polite and friendly, etc. They will forget about it soon enough.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chimp wrote:Don't be late again and do your job really well. If you do those things odds are this will be forgotten in a few weeks. I don't think there is too much more you can do other than apologize.
That's good advice, thanks! I did apologize, but I felt they kind of just ignored my apology and gave me the first day tour right away. Will they fire me? I have this fear that they will tell me to leave all of a sudden. The fear has been nagging at me all day, and it's killing me.
LOL you need to calm down. As long as you are not consistently late you should be fine. Just seems like common sense to me.

Also, yes, how late were you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:11 am

chimp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LOL you need to calm down. As long as you are not consistently late you should be fine. Just seems like common sense to me.

I was 14 minutes late :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chimp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was 14 minutes late :(
Did you at least call and let them know you were going to be late?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 am

kaiser wrote:Yeah, dude. First day, I'm planning to be extra early as to make sure this doesn't happen. Just do good work, be polite and friendly, etc. They will forget about it soon enough.
Yeah, that's a good idea! You should definitely try your suit on the day before you go to work. I got up at 6am this morning to get ready, but realized that the suit I was preparing to wear didn't look right on me. I was nervous, and spent another 40-ish minutes trying on other ones in my closet. That was why I was late:(

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote: I was 14 minutes late :(
That doesn't seem very late for a corporate environment job.

It shouldn't have happened your first day, but it shouldn't be the be all end all.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:15 am

You sound like you have bigger issues that punctuality.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 am

I did, but neither partner picked up :( The train experienced a delay as well. It was raining, so I was running like a nut when I got out of the subway station. I showed up soaking wet when I got to the office. Man, this was worse than any nightmare I could have imagined.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did, but neither partner picked up :( The train experienced a delay as well. It was raining, so I was running like a nut when I got out of the subway station. I showed up soaking wet when I got to the office. Man, this was worse than any nightmare I could have imagined.
Yeah... chill the fuck out.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am

NYC Law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did, but neither partner picked up :( The train experienced a delay as well. It was raining, so I was running like a nut when I got out of the subway station. I showed up soaking wet when I got to the office. Man, this was worse than any nightmare I could have imagined.
+1 Hopefully you didn't come off this psycho at work :mrgreen: jk

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
So to make up for it, you're using TLS at work? Good call.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 am

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So to make up for it, you're using TLS at work? Good call.
LOL, no. I busted my a** at work all day, and posted from home. I would never do private stuff at the law firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 am

chimp wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
+1 Hopefully you didn't come off this psycho at work :mrgreen: jk
Haha, no. I am actually pretty normal. My personality is pretty average, and my occasional anxiety is invisible to the naked eye. I just get very anxious when I run late, which is why I am early to 99% of all meetings, appointments, parties etc. I have been like that since I was a child. Just a personality flaw.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:39 am

This will be on your permanent record. Might as well drop out now.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kaiser wrote:Yeah, dude. First day, I'm planning to be extra early as to make sure this doesn't happen. Just do good work, be polite and friendly, etc. They will forget about it soon enough.
Yeah, that's a good idea! You should definitely try your suit on the day before you go to work. I got up at 6am this morning to get ready, but realized that the suit I was preparing to wear didn't look right on me. I was nervous, and spent another 40-ish minutes trying on other ones in my closet. That was why I was late:(
TBH, that is a retarded reason to be late.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:15 am

This is where I understood it was a flame. Good job. You lasted a while, given the topic.

Oh, and if I'm lucky enough to land a firm job I plan on sleeping in the lobby.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 am

shut up. all of you. not a big deal.

kujhawk24

New

Post by kujhawk24 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 pm

You know when they talk about those being no-offers, they reference those who just don't fit in and are socially awkward? Don't be that guy. You need to relax and quit worrying so much. Take a deep breath and work your ass off to get back in good favor. Make sure you show up 30 minutes early from this point on and do not leave until they tell you to. By the end of the summer, noone will remember that you were late on the first day.

It will be OKAY! Being 14 minutes late one day isn't going to screw your chances at a permanent offer, but obsessing over the most trivial crap will.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

f7u12 wrote:
kujhawk24 wrote:You know when they talk about those being no-offers, they reference those who just don't fit in and are socially awkward? Don't be that guy. You need to relax and quit worrying so much. Take a deep breath and work your ass off to get back in good favor. Make sure you show up 30 minutes early from this point on and do not leave until they tell you to. By the end of the summer, noone will remember that you were late on the first day.

It will be OKAY! Being 14 minutes late one day isn't going to screw your chances at a permanent offer, but obsessing over the most trivial crap will.
You really think "that guy" can help being "that guy"?
To be fair, staying until you are told to leave during an internship or summer entry-level position is TCR. It's not in law, but my wife and I both got full-time positions in our respective fields (architecture and television) as soon as our initial internships ended when others didn't and we used that approach. You work your ass off at first, but it makes a hell of an impression. It's hard to overcome a bad first impression, so OP would be well served to take that strategy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”