(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Re: Do-gooder big law?

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Nope.

This isn't a dumb question. The most important thing to realize about large law firms is that they chase fees. That's why the same firm that will litigate a billion dollar anti-trust suit will also work billion dollar M&A transactions and write wills for billionaires. Sadly, good causes tend to have very shallow coffers.

The flip side is that big firms, believe it or not, are often filled with good people. Most attorneys at such firms do substantial amounts of pro bono work, usually things like representing indignant clients but also sometimes doing corporate/transactional work for nonprofits. Most firms encourage such behavior, and advertise it to those applying.

There are a few VERY narrow exceptions, at large but not traditionally 'big law' firms, which might do things like civil rights litigation. But those will be well outside of the traditional biglaw model and probably both hard to get a job at and find information on.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Mon May 30, 2011 4:24 pm

As the above poster noted, there is pro-bono.

I would also consider shooting over an app to Cohen Milstein if you have the stats for it, they do a lot of big civil rights, consumer antitrust cases

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 pm

2LLLL wrote:I would also consider shooting over an app to Cohen Milstein if you have the stats for it

yes stats like 2nd or 9th COA clerkship

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Sealocust nailed it; although there are plaintiff's-side firms that might be considered "do gooders," depending on how far you're willing to stretch that term. Firms like Milberg (and a few others) make big money basically finding ways to put together class-actions and sue corporations. Some of this type of work could be seen as actually beneficial (like toxic torts or products liability), but most of it is securities litigation (ie rich people fighting over money).

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Simpson Thatcher has some kind of public interest practice, though I'm sure it's not your traditional public interest.

Aside from that, pro bono all the way.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Simpson Thatcher has some kind of public interest practice, though I'm sure it's not your traditional public interest.

Uh, Simpson Thatcher, while an incredible firm, does anti-union labor law, defends toxic torts, defends products liability cases (including tobacco clients), and defends companies/boards against shareholder suits. I fear that you and I have a very different definition of "public interest."

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Renzo wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Simpson Thatcher has some kind of public interest practice, though I'm sure it's not your traditional public interest.

Uh, Simpson Thatcher, while an incredible firm, does anti-union labor law, defends toxic torts, defends products liability cases (including tobacco clients), and defends companies/boards against shareholder suits. I fear that you and I have a very different definition of "public interest."

Uh, no that's not what I was talking about.

http://www.stblaw.com/practice_exemptOrg.htm

I also made it pretty clear that the practice group is not your traditional public interest practice group.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 31, 2011 12:00 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Uh, no that's not what I was talking about.

http://www.stblaw.com/practice_exemptOrg.htm

I also made it pretty clear that the practice group is not your traditional public interest practice group.

Cadwalader, the firm that ruined the economy, has one of those, too. That's PR, not public interest.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 31, 2011 12:11 am

Best (and most accurate) title ever for Cadwalader.

Return to “Legal Employment”