0L Unpaid Intern

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sheendream

0L Unpaid Intern

Postby Sheendream » Mon May 30, 2011 11:38 am

Hey guys, I'm a 0L taking the LSAT in October, applying to law school for the fall of 2012. I have been given the opportunity to work in a law office this summer as an unpaid intern from a family friend. He is giving me very flexible hours so I can spend a lot of time preparing for the LSAT which is perfect. Do you guys think I should take this job and be broke all summer/my senior year of undergrad (seeing as I'll have no summer income saved up and I don't work during the school year) or decline the internship offer and work somewhere else, non-related to law, just to make money. Is an unpaid legal internship as a 0L useful as a soft and will it help in the hunt for 1L/2L summer jobs, as employers will recognize that I have a background in a law office? Thanks for the help guys.

Moxie

Re: 0L Unpaid Intern

Postby Moxie » Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Sheendream wrote:Hey guys, I'm a 0L taking the LSAT in October, applying to law school for the fall of 2012. I have been given the opportunity to work in a law office this summer as an unpaid intern from a family friend. He is giving me very flexible hours so I can spend a lot of time preparing for the LSAT which is perfect. Do you guys think I should take this job and be broke all summer/my senior year of undergrad (seeing as I'll have no summer income saved up and I don't work during the school year) or decline the internship offer and work somewhere else, non-related to law, just to make money. Is an unpaid legal internship as a 0L useful as a soft and will it help in the hunt for 1L/2L summer jobs, as employers will recognize that I have a background in a law office? Thanks for the help guys.

The legal internship won't matter much (if at all) as a soft. Kindly thank the family friend for the opportunity, but get a job to make money, and enjoy senior year!

If you're really this excited about the opportunity, do it next summer right before you head off to LS.

japes

Postby japes » Mon May 30, 2011 12:47 pm

There is something to be said for the value of doing legal work before law school if you have no idea what legal work is actually like. If you want a better sense of what legal work is, then it'll probably be a helpful experience, even if you think you're dead-set on lawl school.

That said, if money is a concern, it may not be worth it. And if money is a concern, why not work during the school year? Undergrad is not hard.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey OP I think it sounds like a great opportunity you should take. I encourage anyone considering law school to do an unpaid internship before law school or work as a paralegal for a year because there is no better way to know if the law is for you.

Job market aside, there are still a lot of practicing attorneys that would not do law if they could turn back the clock. If you intern in this firm you will get a real idea of what the profession/practice is like, so if you like it, you can go knowing full well your decision is right for you, whereas you might realize it's not for you and you'd save yourself a great deal of money and head/heart ache.

Return to “Legal Employment”