cover letter + interview question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

cover letter + interview question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

Hey guys,

My significant other just found a job in NYC. I am currently a rising 3L with a SA position in the midwest.
When I send out cover letters to NY firms later this summer is it appropriate to put down that my SO found a job in NY and that I want to work in NYC.

What about during the interview?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 29, 2011 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

zanda

Silver

Re: cover letter + interview question

Post by zanda » Sun May 29, 2011 10:11 am

I wouldn't mention it. SO/BF/GF sounds a lot less serious than spouse/fiance, despite what might be reality in some situations.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sun May 29, 2011 10:37 am

Time to propose so you can call her your fiance XD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2011 11:01 am

Definitely want to propose and lock that down. Or just break up.

On a similar note, I don't have any connections to NYC, but my spouse does. Spouse has worked there in the past. Is this something to put on cover letters for 2L OCI and address in interviews when they ask, "Why NYC" ?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 am

In these situations, I've always found "family" to work. Like they need to know what that really means?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 pm

Whereas ties are very important when it comes to most legal markets, NYC tends to be the exception. If you really feel the need to mention your geographic ties, I agree with the above poster that "family" is a good way to do it. But in an interview, when asked, don't bring up your significant other (unless it's a spouse or fiance) and just gush about New York. People seem to be of the "Who DOESN'T want to be in NYC???" mindset.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun May 29, 2011 5:27 pm

warumnicht wrote:Whereas ties are very important when it comes to most legal markets, NYC tends to be the exception. If you really feel the need to mention your geographic ties, I agree with the above poster that "family" is a good way to do it. But in an interview, when asked, don't bring up your significant other (unless it's a spouse or fiance) and just gush about New York. People seem to be of the "Who DOESN'T want to be in NYC???" mindset.
This works when you don't already have a job. The OP needs to explain enough to make clear that he didn't fuck up and get a cold offer from his 2L firm; that he actually has a job, and that something changed that made him want to find a new job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”