Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 am

I have a couple of friends that are summers at Troutman and they all love it and say that the associates like it too. Seems to be a pretty chill place relative to other biglaw shops

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow, so happy to see a thread that I started when I was a rising 2L getting ready to go through OCI is still going strong. I'm now a 5th year associate working for a large firm in ATL. To commemorate this occasion, I went back and updated my original post. It's probably incoherent, because I wrote it up at 4:30. But I'm happy to try to answer any questions folks might have.
Anonymous User wrote:I have a question regarding OCI and if is worth applying to some firms directly if I did not get an OCI screener.

I am top 20% at Emory (with an even higher second semester GPA). Very deep Atl connections - think one of the West Paces schools and long family ties to the city. My goal is A&B, Troutman, or K&S and I've spoken with attorneys from each to learn about the firms. I was preselected by all three among others. I am not worried about any "why Atlanta" or "why firm" questions - I have solid and honest answers. I really hope these interviews work out, but I understand how much of a crapshoot it is when everyone is applying for 20-25 spots at each of these firms.

However, I really want to work in Atlanta after I graduate and was not selected by a few firms I am also interested in. MMM, Kilpatrick, Eversheds in particular. Is it worth it to apply directly to these firms now, even though they did not select me for an OCI screener? What is the best way to approach this? I want to do everything I can to end up in Atlanta after school.
The firms you listed basically don't hire SAs outside of OCI.
Thanks for the update. I am interested in products liability/mass tort and just saw what you updated about that group at K&S. Could you share some more details about what you heard?

Thanks
This is not OP. From what I know, there are good things and bad things about this group. The good is that you'll get tons of experience and responsibility, much, much earlier than you would otherwise in biglaw - this group is somewhat unique in that associates do a bunch of trial work. The bad is that it's a ton of travel and a ton of work. The tobacco group has to take the bar in Florida because there's so much litigation there. You'll get market pay, and you'll work at a top three (at least) firm in Atlanta, but they'll make you work for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow, so happy to see a thread that I started when I was a rising 2L getting ready to go through OCI is still going strong. I'm now a 5th year associate working for a large firm in ATL. To commemorate this occasion, I went back and updated my original post. It's probably incoherent, because I wrote it up at 4:30. But I'm happy to try to answer any questions folks might have.
Anonymous User wrote:I have a question regarding OCI and if is worth applying to some firms directly if I did not get an OCI screener.

I am top 20% at Emory (with an even higher second semester GPA). Very deep Atl connections - think one of the West Paces schools and long family ties to the city. My goal is A&B, Troutman, or K&S and I've spoken with attorneys from each to learn about the firms. I was preselected by all three among others. I am not worried about any "why Atlanta" or "why firm" questions - I have solid and honest answers. I really hope these interviews work out, but I understand how much of a crapshoot it is when everyone is applying for 20-25 spots at each of these firms.

However, I really want to work in Atlanta after I graduate and was not selected by a few firms I am also interested in. MMM, Kilpatrick, Eversheds in particular. Is it worth it to apply directly to these firms now, even though they did not select me for an OCI screener? What is the best way to approach this? I want to do everything I can to end up in Atlanta after school.
Thanks for the update. I am interested in products liability/mass tort and just saw what you updated about that group at K&S. Could you share some more details about what you heard?

Thanks
This is not OP. From what I know, there are good things and bad things about this group. The good is that you'll get tons of experience and responsibility, much, much earlier than you would otherwise in biglaw - this group is somewhat unique in that associates do a bunch of trial work. The bad is that it's a ton of travel and a ton of work. The tobacco group has to take the bar in Florida because there's so much litigation there. You'll get market pay, and you'll work at a top three (at least) firm in Atlanta, but they'll make you work for it.
Interesting. I appreciate the insight. Do you think having this experience is helpful in the long term? (Whether it makes you more valuable to the firm or for exit opportunities?). I understand the experience seems to come at a cost of having to work even more than the average K&S associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks
Interesting. I appreciate the insight. Do you think having this experience is helpful in the long term? (Whether it makes you more valuable to the firm or for exit opportunities?). I understand the experience seems to come at a cost of having to work even more than the average K&S associate.
This is OP. Toxic torts at K&S has some great folks in it. Chilton Varner looks and acts like your nice southern grandma, rips you to shreds, then says "bless your heart" afterwards.

The previous poster is correct in that some teams get huge amounts of trial experience (The Engle progeny team). Others are doing massive class actions that will never go to trial. Personally, I wouldn't want to do the Engle work. I think it's like asbestos--great if you rode it on the way up but not a good idea for anyone of our vintage. Poster is also correct in that it has a lot of travel, which is not my speed.

The main reason why I specifically called it out is because the group used to have a bunch of screamers/throwers in it. After my 1L year, I reached out for an informational interview with this guy who was a senior associate (later made partner) at K&S. I had lunch with him and another senior associate. And I distinctly remember, when he introduced the other guy, he said, "this is ____. He made it for 5 years in the toxic tort group," and then looked at me like he told me the most unbelievable fact.

I'm sure this has been reiterated in innumerable other threads, but I'll say it again here: Vault ranking doesn't matter in ATL. Amlaw ranking barely matters. What really and truly matters is how well-renown the practice group YOU want to work for is. I work in a Band 1 practice group at my firm with people who I respect and who respect me. The fact that I could make $10k more or whatever at another firm doesn't even move the needle. Same thing with exit options--nobody is going to snub a Kilpatrick IP or construction lawyer (both band 1 groups for them) cause someone from K&S applied. To be sure, the firm you work will affect your exit options. But that is more a function of the clients you work with rather than the firm's rank.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks
This is OP. Toxic torts at K&S has some great folks in it. Chilton Varner looks and acts like your nice southern grandma, rips you to shreds, then says "bless your heart" afterwards.

The previous poster is correct in that some teams get huge amounts of trial experience (The Engle progeny team). Others are doing massive class actions that will never go to trial. Personally, I wouldn't want to do the Engle work. I think it's like asbestos--great if you rode it on the way up but not a good idea for anyone of our vintage. Poster is also correct in that it has a lot of travel, which is not my speed.

The main reason why I specifically called it out is because the group used to have a bunch of screamers/throwers in it. After my 1L year, I reached out for an informational interview with this guy who was a senior associate (later made partner) at K&S. I had lunch with him and another senior associate. And I distinctly remember, when he introduced the other guy, he said, "this is ____. He made it for 5 years in the toxic tort group," and then looked at me like he told me the most unbelievable fact.

I'm sure this has been reiterated in innumerable other threads, but I'll say it again here: Vault ranking doesn't matter in ATL. Amlaw ranking barely matters. What really and truly matters is how well-renown the practice group YOU want to work for is. I work in a Band 1 practice group at my firm with people who I respect and who respect me. The fact that I could make $10k more or whatever at another firm doesn't even move the needle. Same thing with exit options--nobody is going to snub a Kilpatrick IP or construction lawyer (both band 1 groups for them) cause someone from K&S applied. To be sure, the firm you work will affect your exit options. But that is more a function of the clients you work with rather than the firm's rank.
Thanks- that is all great information for me. How would you rank how well-renown the products liability/tort groups are in Atlanta? That is my main interest, and I will be interviewing with only firms in Atlanta.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:22 am

K&S, Jones Day, and Greenberg are the big firms. I'd probs only work for Jones Day but make efforts to stay out of Engle cases. I don't think I added GT to my list, but they're awful. It used to be a "blood for cash" place because you billed a zillion hours but got way above market bonuses. But I don't think they raised salaries (in response to the 20k bump last year or the 10k bump this year), so their comp is still above market but you have to bill a lot to get there. I can also say from personal experience that at least two of their partners are terrible people. A guy I know also left and made the most bizarre farewell announcement I've ever seen. It heavily implied that he had been asked to do unethical things.

Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell just opened up a shop here. It's probably too soon for that office to take on junior associates (like, it opened a month ago), but it's a phenomenal defense torts shop (Band 2 nationally!) that pays at or slightly above market. I have no idea whether it's a good work environment, but I guarantee you'll get substantive experience working on cool stuff.

Although I don't work at one, I've always been partial to lit boutiques. In my experience, associates get to do more cool stuff, the lower-end matters mean more responsibility, and they tend to be less heavy on the bullshit formalism and endless need to tweak (read: increase billables) that can infect larger law firms.

Weinberg Wheeler would also be an excellent choice if you don't mind doing products liability with some wrecks and medmal thrown in. I don't know what they pay, but I'd be surprised if it was lower than 10-15k below market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:20 am

I’ve heard this more than once; K&S is pretty much a boy’s club. They’re not nearly as female friendly as other ATL firms when it comes to case distribution, advancement to senior associate and especially partnership. At least not K&S Atlanta. What say you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve heard this more than once; K&S is pretty much a boy’s club. They’re not nearly as female friendly as other ATL firms when it comes to case distribution, advancement to senior associate and especially partnership. At least not K&S Atlanta. What say you?
I've heard that things have gotten better since K&S's wet t-shirt contest days, but they still have a long way to go. Even though one partner doesn't move the needle for the whole firm, I'm hoping that Sally Yates coming back will make things better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&S, Jones Day, and Greenberg are the big firms. I'd probs only work for Jones Day but make efforts to stay out of Engle cases. I don't think I added GT to my list, but they're awful. It used to be a "blood for cash" place because you billed a zillion hours but got way above market bonuses. But I don't think they raised salaries (in response to the 20k bump last year or the 10k bump this year), so their comp is still above market but you have to bill a lot to get there. I can also say from personal experience that at least two of their partners are terrible people. A guy I know also left and made the most bizarre farewell announcement I've ever seen. It heavily implied that he had been asked to do unethical things.

Wheeler Trigg O'Donnell just opened up a shop here. It's probably too soon for that office to take on junior associates (like, it opened a month ago), but it's a phenomenal defense torts shop (Band 2 nationally!) that pays at or slightly above market. I have no idea whether it's a good work environment, but I guarantee you'll get substantive experience working on cool stuff.

Although I don't work at one, I've always been partial to lit boutiques. In my experience, associates get to do more cool stuff, the lower-end matters mean more responsibility, and they tend to be less heavy on the bullshit formalism and endless need to tweak (read: increase billables) that can infect larger law firms.

Weinberg Wheeler would also be an excellent choice if you don't mind doing products liability with some wrecks and medmal thrown in. I don't know what they pay, but I'd be surprised if it was lower than 10-15k below market.

Great info here. Only one question: why would you make efforts to stay out of Engle cases?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:17 am

Is A&B supposed to be as bad as K&S work-balance wise? Or is it closer to Kilpatrick/Sutherland/Troutman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is A&B supposed to be as bad as K&S work-balance wise? Or is it closer to Kilpatrick/Sutherland/Troutman?
I understand the general idea behind this question, but just remember when considering this type of stuff that it's very group- and partner-specific. As very anecdotal evidence, I, a K&S transactional junior associate, have billed fewer hours this year than my Troutman litigation junior associate buddy. So just remember, YMMV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is A&B supposed to be as bad as K&S work-balance wise? Or is it closer to Kilpatrick/Sutherland/Troutman?
I understand the general idea behind this question, but just remember when considering this type of stuff that it's very group- and partner-specific. As very anecdotal evidence, I, a K&S transactional junior associate, have billed fewer hours this year than my Troutman litigation junior associate buddy. So just remember, YMMV.
Anon quoted here, I'm lit focused, so I'm curious about lit.

I understand it varies based on partner, practice group, etc. But just looking for a general idea

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 pm

i was a summer there, and from what i could tell of the associates it is more akin to K&S

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote: I, a K&S transactional junior associate, have billed fewer hours this year than my Troutman litigation junior associate buddy
What does your Troutman buddy say about working at T? Does T pay similar to K&S?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I, a K&S transactional junior associate, have billed fewer hours this year than my Troutman litigation junior associate buddy
What does your Troutman buddy say about working at T? Does T pay similar to K&S?
Troutman has not yet matched Atlanta raises, to my knowledge. So they start at 155, not 165. He likes it there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Troutman has not yet matched Atlanta raises, to my knowledge. So they start at 155, not 165. He likes it there.
Given their under market pay, I did a quick random check. No surprise. there are very few T14ers or tier one hires (over the last few years). Overall, they are mainly a feeder firm for local LS grads, mainly Mercer and Ga State (some Emory too).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Troutman has not yet matched Atlanta raises, to my knowledge. So they start at 155, not 165. He likes it there.
Given their under market pay, I did a quick random check. No surprise. there are very few T14ers or tier one hires (over the last few years). Overall, they are mainly a feeder firm for local LS grads, mainly Mercer and Ga State (some Emory too).
Troutman associate here. Can confirm that we haven't matched 165 yet, but to say that there are few tier one hires and that we mostly hire Mercer and Georgia State grads is ill informed. The vast majority of atlanta office hires are emory, virginia, vanderbilt, north carolina, and georgia, all of which are tier 1. We normally bring in a top 5 mercer student and some top 10 georgia state students as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Troutman associate here. Can confirm that we haven't matched 165 yet, but to say that there are few tier one hires and that we mostly hire Mercer and Georgia State grads is ill informed. The vast majority of atlanta office hires are emory, virginia, vanderbilt, north carolina, and georgia, all of which are tier 1. We normally bring in a top 5 mercer student and some top 10 georgia state students as well.
This is completely unrelated, but since you're a TS associate thought it'd be worth a shot to ask: How is your IP dep't? Two partners in the city have suggested I reach out to your firm to learn more about entry-level opportunities.

(This will out me for if/when I eventually do...)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is completely unrelated, but since you're a TS associate thought it'd be worth a shot to ask: How is your IP dep't? Two partners in the city have suggested I reach out to your firm to learn more about entry-level opportunities.

(This will out me for if/when I eventually do...)
Quoted Anon here. I don't practice IP, so my knowledge of how our IP department stacks up to other Atlanta biglaw isn't especially well informed, but my understanding is that our IP practice has been thriving. The associates are busy but don't seem super overworked, and as I understand it, the department has been consistently recognized for good work in the industry lately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I know like 4 kids from UVA that were there this summer so this is definitely wrong

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I know like 4 kids from UVA that were there this summer so this is definitely wrong
What I find puzzling is why a T14er would consider hitching up to a firm paying under market.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What I find puzzling is why a T14er would consider hitching up to a firm paying under market.
Not everyone has perfect grades, dipshit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not everyone has perfect grades, dipshit
So the earlier reply should have said…. I know like 4 kids from UVA (with mediocre grades) that were there this summer.

(The result of failing to pay market?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TS has an aggressive 1L SA program (8 or 9 slots in a class of 30ish from what I hear). I imagine the 1Ls from UVA probably found the idea of biglaw employment attractive. 3K/week to work in ATL for the summer while many classmates are doing unpaid work in small markets sounds like a no-brainer. Rumor has it they extend "permanent offers" as well (or have in the past--not sure if they still do). So, if you're inclined, you may be able to blow off OCIs. Not a terrible outcome by any stretch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TS has an aggressive 1L SA program (8 or 9 slots in a class of 30ish from what I hear). I imagine the 1Ls from UVA probably found the idea of biglaw employment attractive. 3K/week to work in ATL for the summer while many classmates are doing unpaid work in small markets sounds like a no-brainer. Rumor has it they extend "permanent offers" as well (or have in the past--not sure if they still do). So, if you're inclined, you may be able to blow off OCIs. Not a terrible outcome by any stretch.
This is correct. Also, Troutman is really well regarded for their work-life balance and partnership prospects as compared to K&S and A&B

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”