Let's talk about Atlanta! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk about Atlanta!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Any news on offers from any of the major atl firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news on offers from any of the major atl firms?
Or callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news on offers from any of the major atl firms?
Or callbacks.
Think they've all sent out at least some CBs at this point. If you look at the reports from the UVA and. Duke threads it'll give you specific names

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Alston ding via snail mail

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone familiar with how often the hiring committee meets at A&B or K&S? Trying to get a sense for offer timeline. General impression just seems to be Atl moves "slowly."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alston ding via snail mail
Post CB???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Screener, no cb

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alston ding via snail mail
School?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Just read this as "Let's talk about Asians!" fail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Any word on offers this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on offers this week?
K&S hiring committee won't meet until mid next week.

Do we know about any other big Atl firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:11 pm

After seeing so much doom and gloom on here, I just want to share something that should inspire confidence for some.

I'm lower T14, below median (probably bottom third actually), and K-JD. No impressive work experience at all. Born and raised in the metro area.

People on here told me I had very very little chance at all in Atlanta because it was a "bloodbath" right now.

Bid on the three (arguably) best firms in Atlanta, interviewed at OCI, and got CBs from each. I ended up cancelling them because of another offer, but still wanted to suggest that the advice on here might be good in several aspects....but Atlanta can be done, even below median and as a K-JD. Obviously a CB isn't an offer but I am confident I could've converted at least one to an offer.

Just be a normal, conversational, and friendly person in interviews. The rest will fall into place.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Delete

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After seeing so much doom and gloom on here, I just want to share something that should inspire confidence for some.

I'm lower T14, below median (probably bottom third actually), and K-JD. No impressive work experience at all. Born and raised in the metro area.

People on here told me I had very very little chance at all in Atlanta because it was a "bloodbath" right now.

Bid on the three (arguably) best firms in Atlanta, interviewed at OCI, and got CBs from each. I ended up cancelling them because of another offer, but still wanted to suggest that the advice on here might be good in several aspects....but Atlanta can be done, even below median and as a K-JD. Obviously a CB isn't an offer but I am confident I could've converted at least one to an offer.

Just be a normal, conversational, and friendly person in interviews. The rest will fall into place.

The only thing worth repeating in this post is "a CB isn't an offer"

Congrats on your initial success, but you're wrong in that Atl is a bloodbath, buddy. The two biggest firms in the city (K&S and A&B) are planning a total of ~35 SAs this summer and there may be another 60-70 SA spots in all the other firms combined. Between the Georgia schools, top regionals, T14s, and other southern schools there are probably well over 1k law students who would love Atl BigLaw

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After seeing so much doom and gloom on here, I just want to share something that should inspire confidence for some.

The only thing worth repeating in this post is "a CB isn't an offer"

Congrats on your initial success, but you're wrong in that Atl is a bloodbath, buddy. The two biggest firms in the city (K&S and A&B) are planning a total of ~35 SAs this summer and there may be another 60-70 SA spots in all the other firms combined. Between the Georgia schools, top regionals, T14s, and other southern schools there are probably well over 1k law students who would love Atl BigLaw
Sure it is competitive. But it's not impossible. And that is what people often say here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 pm

How bout that kilpatrick cb

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:06 pm

sat CB?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 am

Good luck; you're very fortunate to say the least. I had insanely strong GA connections and I had close friends with them as well (i.e. the same as yours or better) and we all got slaughtered from UVA. There's something about your resume that stands out/maybe the economy is picking up. But bottom line don't take these interviews for granted.

And I'm debating on revealing this to you but your grades are not a bygone issue just because you have a callback. That's sort of a TLS myth--particularly for secondary markets like Atlanta (which is a very grade focused market). To be honest they are still an issue. So just think of some answers you can give if you are asked about them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am

Disagree entirely ^

Once you get a cb, you've cleared the grade barrier. It's then a matter of fit.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Disagree entirely ^

ah yes, anonymous generalizations. The bread and butter of TLS.

So what is the source of your knowledge? Are you familiar with the hiring practices of every Atl firm?

This thread has really lost steam recently. Does anyone have news about CBs/ offers at any firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:44 pm

I have CBs at Sutherland and Alston this week, I will update once they're done and I hear back.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 pm

No. This is just TLS mantra. At some firms that may be the case but at many others it's not; especially in secondary markets. I've had partners tell me that it's often used to at the end of the summer to make cuts where everyone is fine but they simply are not going to give out 100 percent offers. In other words, not only does it matter after the callback, it can even matter AFTER you're finished with your actual summer position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Friend of mine has a Troutman offer as of Friday. Any other offers out there, ATL?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Friend of mine has a Troutman offer as of Friday. Any other offers out there, ATL?
School?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:28 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

No. This is just TLS mantra. At some firms that may be the case but at many others it's not; especially in secondary markets. I've had partners tell me that it's often used to at the end of the summer to make cuts where everyone is fine but they simply are not going to give out 100 percent offers. In other words, not only does it matter after the callback, it can even matter AFTER you're finished with your actual summer position.
Sorry, but this just isn't true. Know first-hand that ATL's top three or four firms largely disregard grades after callbacks. In fact, interviewers don't even know grades for the most part. It's purely a question of whether the candidate will fit in with the office personality and whether associates want to work with the candidate.

To put it bluntly, BruceWayne, every single one of your posts serves only to scare people into thinking they will strike out in Atlanta. Things are picking up, though. The top firms are still competitive, don't get me wrong. But to say that people (with strong ties - i.e., grew up ITP) from T14 schools, even those below median, around the country can't return to ATL is naive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”