top 25%-biglaw chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Black-Blue

Re: top 25%-biglaw chances?

Postby Black-Blue » Sun May 29, 2011 11:08 am

If he goes to AU, he would have around 100 people ranked ahead, not 35.

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Biglaw isn't happening. You are right on the border of being able to get any sort of paid SA gig at any kind of firm, if I had to guess. You'll need to apply very widely to smaller firms and hope you interview well. Though as has been mentioned, spending your 1L summer flipping burgers was a horrible choice and does not suggest good things about your ability to do the kind of work it's going to take if you want a shot at a firm job.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun May 29, 2011 7:18 pm

According to what's been reported in this year's OCI thread Cardozo placed 5.7% of their 2012 class in Vault 100 SAs and 8% in NALP firms. And they have New York to rely on which has done quite a bit better than D.C.

softspoken

Postby softspoken » Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 pm

so there is nothing i can do to land biglaw at this point?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 am

softspoken wrote:so there is nothing i can do to land biglaw at this point?

Blackmail?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 12:19 am

rayiner wrote:

Blackmail?

Time machine?

blackandyellow

Postby blackandyellow » Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 am

This is what you need to do.

Find a legal summer volunteer job. Since it is already Memorial Day, try cold calling. You can't rely on cold emailing because you are in a time crunch. Cold calling should also help you with your interviewing skills because you are talking to someone face to face. This might come in handy when you interview next year.

Biglaw isnt 100% out of the question. It is still possible but unlikely.You need to network with lawyers in the area. Find an alumni list from your LS and start contacting lawyers. When OCI comes around, apply to EVERY firm, but focus on researching "midlaw" and small law firms that come to campus.

Lastly, if you aren't on a full scholarship, think about transferring to wustl/nd/bc/bu/gw range of schools. They have a lot more OCI on campus. You might be better off at those schools than at your t50. With your grades, you will likely get accepted at as a transfer at a couple of those schools.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 am

Get some legal work going this summer PDQ. Get at least one thing, try for two.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Mon May 30, 2011 11:50 am

Anyone implying that top 25% at American has any shot at Biglaw (unless you have a background some IP folks are interested in) clearly hasn't been through the lower tier 1/tier 2 bloodbath ITE.

The majority of magna cum laude graduates at my school are unemployed as of graduation. They can't even find shitlaw jobs. At AU ITE I'd say you'd prob need top 10% with law review or moot court for any chance.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 30, 2011 10:12 pm

No. Even the advice you've gotten thus far has been directed toward getting you a solid gig outside of Biglaw (which is fine, and a perfectly good thing to gun for).

You can push your grades as a plus. Right now you need a summer job.

seriousstudenttt

Postby seriousstudenttt » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm

I'll be blunt--you're looking at a shitlaw future.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Aim towards NYC for your 2L job hunt. DC isn't happening.

Go volunteer to do RA work for your professors for free. Tell them you couldn't find anything else. They'll help you out.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 30, 2011 10:27 pm

seriousstudenttt wrote:I'll be blunt--you're looking at a shitlaw future.

That really isn't true. His grades are okay; it's the fact that he's so shitty at asking for work that's the real concern here.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 10:38 pm

flcath wrote:

That really isn't true. His grades are okay; it's the fact that he's so shitty at asking for work that's the real concern here.

Agreed. If he/she can overcome that, then s/he's probably looking at a pretty bright future. If not, it'll be breadlines.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am

I'll be blunt - you're banned.

Dude already knows he's not getting biglaw. There are plenty of decent smaller firms to look at, there's government, there are a lot of things. But just being a dick to people on the forums is likely to get you shown the door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:48 pm

:cry: i did the write-on-if i make law review, that wont make a difference?

No.

I hate to say it, but you are pretty much screwed. I was top 5% at a similarly ranked (maybe the same) school in the same market as you, with LR, a summer position at a state AG, as well as pre-LS work experience. I struck out at OCI last year (albeit largely b/c of a personal tragedy in September, 2010). I found a good firm job, but not until December and only after a lot of hustle. But, even assuming you are prepared to hit the non-OCI job market, you will be competing against people like me, whose credentials blow yours out of the water.

Honestly, based on what I've seen at my school, your chances at finding a paid job, ANY paid job, for next summer are basically zero. You need to find a job ASAP- at this point just call any PI or small firms you can find and beg them to let you work for free, even if you'll just be making copies. Then spend the rest of the summer going to any networking event you can get into and gladhanding your ass off.

Really, if you haven't found some summer employment, you really need an attitude adjustment to start displaying the hustle necessary for someone in your position to find a job.

billbrasky

Postby billbrasky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 pm

You're gonna have to bid outside DC. I think that the consensus is that NY is the easiest big market to break into (DC arguably is the toughest). Still, your grades aren't up to par for biglaw (you need to be in the top 10% range).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a bit of a dick, I'll echo that Biglaw is completely out of the question here. Nothing indicates that OCI this year is going to be like pre-ITE OCI.

After finishing in the top 5% of my 1L class from a school that has always been ranked somewhere between 25 and 50 and transferring to CCN, and after bidding only on firms that are ranked outside of the V10, I struck out. I never had trouble interviewing before OCI and would consider myself to be a decently sociable guy, so I don't think that's what caused me to strike out. I also had a badass GPA at an Ivy League undergrad and held down a paralegal job for two years at either Cravath, Wachtell, Skadden, or S&C before law school. I lined something up for this summer that I'm really happy with but will be hustling like crazy over the summer to line anything up for after graduation that will give me some experience working as an attorney. I guess where I'm going with this is that you should probably start changing your expectations for legal work or else you're going to have a pretty depressing fall semester.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 pm

ill give u some optimism bro. the only thing i can see as even remotely helping u get big law: get ur grades up to like 3.9+ every semester from now on, work at anything legal related 2L summer, apply to the 4 big law firms interviewing at 3L OCI, apply to clerkships, hope for the best. i guess u could get lucky at 3L OCI or land a decent clerkship that will give u a boost on ur way out. chances are very slim, but i can think of nothing more u can do.

softspoken

Postby softspoken » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Cold-called small firms, local judges--nobody's hiring now. Looks like i'm heading into OCI with zero (legal) work experience. Top 25% has to be good for something-what should I aim for if not biglaw?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 pm

softspoken wrote:Cold-called small firms, local judges--nobody's hiring now. Looks like i'm heading into OCI with zero (legal) work experience. Top 25% has to be good for something-what should I aim for if not biglaw?

Call a professor who gave you a good grade. Explain that you have nothing, and it's going to fork you over for OCI. Ask to do unpaid Research assistant work, beg if you have to.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 pm

My school is still posting 1l jobs. You gotta find something

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:My school is still posting 1l jobs. You gotta find something
So is mine.

Use this too.

http://lawstudentjobs.net/

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Cold-called small firms, local judges--nobody's hiring now. Looks like i'm heading into OCI with zero (legal) work experience. Top 25% has to be good for something-what should I aim for if not biglaw?

Try to find a fall internship somewhere. Go in and give it 110%. Beg them to hire you for the summer on an unpaid basis. At this point it's less about aiming for something and more about trying to snag anything you can get.

Return to “Legal Employment”