Would I be stupid to bid on only 8 firms during OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renzo

Re: Would I be stupid to bid on only 8 firms during OCI?

Postby Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 3:06 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
rayiner wrote:I can't believe you put a rant about leverage in the same sentence as a bid list that includes: Cravath, Sullcrom, Cleary, and DPW.

If you want to really do trial work at an early level, you need have more low-leverage litigation shops. Throw in: Irell and Patterson Belknap, and also WilmerHale. If you want to do appellate practice, you need to apply to more of the DC appellate shops: Gibson DC, Kirkland DC, Sidley DC. You need to seek out advice from some other folks because your bid list is *completely* wrong if you want appellate practice. See: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120472

Note, appellate practice is not a given with your stats. It's not out of the question, but into appellate practice you're going to need to have solid execution at OCI, then gun for a COA clerkship.

you continue to misunderstand my posts

those firms are only on my list if I want to do transactional work and Wachtell doesn't work out for me

however if I hate transactional work this summer then I'll only apply to lit firms where there is low leverage and I'll have a great chance to get true lit experience at an early stage

could you please give me some more info on Kirkland DC and Sidley DC? I know Gibson DC is the best appellate litigation shop in the country but how come you put Kirkland and Sidley in the same group?

Oh and I do plan on gunning for a top clerkship with a SCOTUS feeder judge. One person from CLS gets on the supreme court every year (and sometimes two on a good year). So why not me?

Ah, you overdid it. Now I believe this is a flame.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 30, 2011 3:10 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
rayiner wrote:I can't believe you put a rant about leverage in the same sentence as a bid list that includes: Cravath, Sullcrom, Cleary, and DPW.

If you want to really do trial work at an early level, you need have more low-leverage litigation shops. Throw in: Irell and Patterson Belknap, and also WilmerHale. If you want to do appellate practice, you need to apply to more of the DC appellate shops: Gibson DC, Kirkland DC, Sidley DC. You need to seek out advice from some other folks because your bid list is *completely* wrong if you want appellate practice. See: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120472

Note, appellate practice is not a given with your stats. It's not out of the question, but into appellate practice you're going to need to have solid execution at OCI, then gun for a COA clerkship.

you continue to misunderstand my posts

those firms are only on my list if I want to do transactional work and Wachtell doesn't work out for me

however if I hate transactional work this summer then I'll only apply to lit firms where there is low leverage and I'll have a great chance to get true lit experience at an early stage

could you please give me some more info on Kirkland DC and Sidley DC? I know Gibson DC is the best appellate litigation shop in the country but how come you put Kirkland and Sidley in the same group?

Oh and I do plan on gunning for a top clerkship with a SCOTUS feeder judge. One person from CLS gets on the supreme court every year (and sometimes two on a good year). So why not me?

Excuse me, I haven't been following the story changes ITT. I'm just saying if you want to do appellate litigation that's not the bid list you should have.

Gibson is of course a top appellate shop, but appellate litigation isn't like other big firm work. The groups are small and top people go to all these places. Sidley might be a notch out of the V10 overall but the appellate group gets top notch people. One firm I was considering, Wiley Rein, is only V100, but regularly gets SCOTUS clerks in its appellate practice (2 in 2009).

You need to talk to dbt and G. T. L. Rev. They'll give you good advice.

chup

Postby chup » Mon May 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Quality flame, but OP's vanity got the best of him (LinkRemoved).

Return to “Legal Employment”