SA salary info.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

SA salary info.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm beginning a summer associates position at a NY biglaw firm next week. However, I haven't yet been told how much I'm getting paid. I was told by my school that it is rude to ask them straight up. Is this normal? When do you normally find out about salary information?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: SA salary info.

Postby Cupidity » Fri May 27, 2011 9:25 pm

I apologize if you already tried this, but have you NALP quicksearched them? Most firms list SA salary.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: SA salary info.

Postby Sup Kid » Fri May 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Biglaw in NYC = $3077-$3100 per week. If it doesn't pay that, its not Biglaw.

Regarding your question, you can ask the recruiting manager or you can wait for your first paycheck. Since its not like you're going to ditch the job if they aren't paying what you want them too, it doesn't really matter. However, if you really want to check no one will fault you for asking.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: SA salary info.

Postby thelawyler » Fri May 27, 2011 10:39 pm

I thought asking about compensation is a standard part of employee/employer communication during the hiring process. Is this just not the case with law? I am shocked to hear that it is "rude" to ask how much you will be being paid...

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: SA salary info.

Postby Renzo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Sup Kid wrote:Biglaw in NYC = $3077-$3100 per week. If it doesn't pay that, its not Biglaw.

Regarding your question, you can ask the recruiting manager or you can wait for your first paycheck. Since its not like you're going to ditch the job if they aren't paying what you want them too, it doesn't really matter. However, if you really want to check no one will fault you for asking.


Yep, all of this.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: SA salary info.

Postby Moxie » Sat May 28, 2011 10:10 am

Renzo wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:Biglaw in NYC = $3077-$3100 per week. If it doesn't pay that, its not Biglaw.

Regarding your question, you can ask the recruiting manager or you can wait for your first paycheck. Since its not like you're going to ditch the job if they aren't paying what you want them too, it doesn't really matter. However, if you really want to check no one will fault you for asking.


Yep, all of this.


This. Plus Cupidity's suggestion of checking the NALP Directory for the firm's salary information.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: SA salary info.

Postby BunkMoreland » Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 pm

FYI, you still get taxed at the 160k rate. So that number will be quite lower than you hoped, especially in NYC

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: SA salary info.

Postby Renzo » Sat May 28, 2011 7:47 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:FYI, you still get taxed at the 160k rate. So that number will be quite lower than you hoped, especially in NYC


No, you get taxed on what you make--that's how taxes work. Now, you might get taxes withheld based on the 160k rate, but you can fix this too.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: SA salary info.

Postby splitmuch » Sat May 28, 2011 7:58 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:FYI, you still get taxed at the 160k rate. So that number will be quite lower than you hoped, especially in NYC

lol




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.