2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
ExAnt3
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby ExAnt3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Guchster wrote:
good to know if I get half B and half B+, I'm basically biglaw secure. hilarious.


My grades exactly. You'll be fine.

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby V811 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:36 pm

USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.

EDIT: its 89 / 221
Last edited by V811 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks guys for leaking out your schools info! Really helpful for some of us 0L's debating between schools still. Keep them coming! (Berkeley or NYU particularly if anyone has figures or accurate guesstimates?)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:52 pm

V811 wrote:USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.


That kinda sucks.

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby V811 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
V811 wrote:USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.


That kinda sucks.


It seriously does. I hope next year it approaches 50%.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 pm

V811 wrote:USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.

EDIT: its 89 / 221

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that data?

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby V811 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 pm

chimp wrote:
V811 wrote:USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.

EDIT: its 89 / 221

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that data?


CSO handed out a packet titled "OCI Program Guide" with all the current 2L's and 3L's names that have jobs through OCI. I added up the names of all the people graduating in 2013.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 pm

V811 wrote:
chimp wrote:
V811 wrote:USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.

EDIT: its 89 / 221

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that data?


CSO handed out a packet titled "OCI Program Guide" with all the current 2L's and 3L's names that have jobs through OCI. I added up the names of all the people graduating in 2013.

That's what I thought. I'm looking at that packet right now and I noticed that there were a few duplicates. Did you notice that?

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby V811 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 pm

chimp wrote:
V811 wrote:
chimp wrote:
V811 wrote:USC is right about 40% for this years OCI (summer SA 2012). 89 offers out of 212 students I believe.

EDIT: its 89 / 221

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that data?


CSO handed out a packet titled "OCI Program Guide" with all the current 2L's and 3L's names that have jobs through OCI. I added up the names of all the people graduating in 2013.

That's what I thought. I'm looking at that packet right now and I noticed that there were a few duplicates. Did you notice that?



No, I actually had my friend next to me add it up and look through it. But 40% is tough considering I'm currently above 3.3 but below 3.4.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:42 pm

You have to remember that the percentage of people who get offers at OCI doesn't necessarily correspond to the top X% class ranking, but I guess it's a pretty good proxy.

ETA: Also, how do you know that the class of 2013 has 221 people? Is it in that packet somewhere? Seems a bit high. So does the 40% number to be honest.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Guchster wrote:
kwais wrote:well, either way, when you need top %10 at many Tier 1 schools for biglaw, I'd say %78 is pretty sweet. Gives a different spin to getting median pwnd


srsly.


good to know if I get half B and half B+, I'm basically biglaw secure. hilarious.


No you are not. Hiring is not linear throughout the class. I know people with B-s who got offers because of relevant work experience or in-demand language skills. Everyone at median is at risk. Please go study.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby Guchster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
kwais wrote:well, either way, when you need top %10 at many Tier 1 schools for biglaw, I'd say %78 is pretty sweet. Gives a different spin to getting median pwnd


srsly.


good to know if I get half B and half B+, I'm basically biglaw secure. hilarious.


No you are not. Hiring is not linear throughout the class. I know people with B-s who got offers because of relevant work experience or in-demand language skills. Everyone at median is at risk.


So you're still butthurt about your disastrous EIP experience, mirite? Have you figured out post grad life, yet?

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Guchster wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
kwais wrote:well, either way, when you need top %10 at many Tier 1 schools for biglaw, I'd say %78 is pretty sweet. Gives a different spin to getting median pwnd


srsly.


good to know if I get half B and half B+, I'm basically biglaw secure. hilarious.


No you are not. Hiring is not linear throughout the class. I know people with B-s who got offers because of relevant work experience or in-demand language skills. Everyone at median is at risk.


So you're still butthurt about your disastrous EIP experience, mirite? Have you figured out post grad life, yet?



Yep. Get back to the library.

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby V811 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 pm

chimp wrote:You have to remember that the percentage of people who get offers at OCI doesn't necessarily correspond to the top X% class ranking, but I guess it's a pretty good proxy.

ETA: Also, how do you know that the class of 2013 has 221 people? Is it in that packet somewhere? Seems a bit high. So does the 40% number to be honest.



I got the 221 number from here: http://weblaw.usc.edu/news/article.cfm?newsID=3614

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:01 pm

V811 wrote:
chimp wrote:You have to remember that the percentage of people who get offers at OCI doesn't necessarily correspond to the top X% class ranking, but I guess it's a pretty good proxy.

ETA: Also, how do you know that the class of 2013 has 221 people? Is it in that packet somewhere? Seems a bit high. So does the 40% number to be honest.



I got the 221 number from here: http://weblaw.usc.edu/news/article.cfm?newsID=3614

Interesting. So that number probably doesn't even take into account transfer students. I know class of 2014 is significantly smaller (around 199). That should up our odds a bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can someone post UChi's and NYU's v10-v20 stats?

For those of us making decisions between the two...


+1


U of C probably won't be out for another few weeks (we still have three weeks of classes left).

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Guchster wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
kwais wrote:well, either way, when you need top %10 at many Tier 1 schools for biglaw, I'd say %78 is pretty sweet. Gives a different spin to getting median pwnd


srsly.


good to know if I get half B and half B+, I'm basically biglaw secure. hilarious.


No you are not. Hiring is not linear throughout the class. I know people with B-s who got offers because of relevant work experience or in-demand language skills. Everyone at median is at risk.


So you're still butthurt about your disastrous EIP experience, mirite? Have you figured out post grad life, yet?


He's not wrong. At a T14, everyone below the top 1/3 or so is basically fungible. The distribution of offers might look something like everyone in the top 1/3 getting an offer, then 2/3 of the remaining 2/3 getting an offer (= 78%). Some portion of people in the bottom quarter are going to have work experience, have an AA advantage, have an IP advantage, and will get jobs at the expense of people in the middle 1/3.
Last edited by rayiner on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V811
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby V811 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 pm

chimp wrote:
V811 wrote:
chimp wrote:You have to remember that the percentage of people who get offers at OCI doesn't necessarily correspond to the top X% class ranking, but I guess it's a pretty good proxy.

ETA: Also, how do you know that the class of 2013 has 221 people? Is it in that packet somewhere? Seems a bit high. So does the 40% number to be honest.



I got the 221 number from here: http://weblaw.usc.edu/news/article.cfm?newsID=3614

Interesting. So that number probably doesn't even take into account transfer students. I know class of 2014 is significantly smaller (around 190). That should up our odds a bit.



I know a couple transfers and didn't see their names on the list, so maybe its safe to only count the 221 non-transfers.

I think c/o 2014 is around like 199

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 pm

V811 wrote:
chimp wrote:
V811 wrote:
chimp wrote:You have to remember that the percentage of people who get offers at OCI doesn't necessarily correspond to the top X% class ranking, but I guess it's a pretty good proxy.

ETA: Also, how do you know that the class of 2013 has 221 people? Is it in that packet somewhere? Seems a bit high. So does the 40% number to be honest.



I got the 221 number from here: http://weblaw.usc.edu/news/article.cfm?newsID=3614

Interesting. So that number probably doesn't even take into account transfer students. I know class of 2014 is significantly smaller (around 190). That should up our odds a bit.



I know a couple transfers and didn't see their names on the list, so maybe its safe to only count the 221 non-transfers.

I think c/o 2014 is around like 199

Yea see my edit above. I also know that like two people dropped out after first semester for whatever that's worth.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby Guchster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Debbie Downers, I wasn't being literal. Relax.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
Guchster wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
No you are not. Hiring is not linear throughout the class. I know people with B-s who got offers because of relevant work experience or in-demand language skills. Everyone at median is at risk.


So you're still butthurt about your disastrous EIP experience, mirite? Have you figured out post grad life, yet?


He's not wrong. At a T14, everyone below the top 1/3 or so is basically fungible. The distribution of offers might look something like everyone in the top 1/3 getting an offer, then 2/3 of the remaining 2/3 getting an offer (= 78%). Some portion of people in the bottom quarter are going to have work experience, have an AA advantage, have an IP advantage, and will get jobs at the expense of people in the middle 1/3.


It's about setting yourself apart from the other 20 students they are seeing that day. Great grades can do this. So can other skills that can compensate for great grades, like finance experience, IP, or language skills. A friend speaks a rather rare, in-demand language fluently. Although he had below median grades, he ended up with a V20 job and was staffed on projects with the firm's foreign office all summer, giving him real, substantive experience. I figure he actually has pretty damn good job security relative to other first-years because of this skill.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Guchster wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
No you are not. Hiring is not linear throughout the class. I know people with B-s who got offers because of relevant work experience or in-demand language skills. Everyone at median is at risk.


So you're still butthurt about your disastrous EIP experience, mirite? Have you figured out post grad life, yet?


He's not wrong. At a T14, everyone below the top 1/3 or so is basically fungible. The distribution of offers might look something like everyone in the top 1/3 getting an offer, then 2/3 of the remaining 2/3 getting an offer (= 78%). Some portion of people in the bottom quarter are going to have work experience, have an AA advantage, have an IP advantage, and will get jobs at the expense of people in the middle 1/3.


It's about setting yourself apart from the other 20 students they are seeing that day. Great grades can do this. So can other skills that can compensate for great grades, like finance experience, IP, or language skills. A friend speaks a rather rare, in-demand language fluently. Although he had below median grades, he ended up with a V20 job and was staffed on projects with the firm's foreign office all summer, giving him real, substantive experience. I figure he actually has pretty damn good job security relative to other first-years because of this skill.


One thing to add is that law school curves are asymmetric, with a huge bunch-up below them median. Columbia's curve has something like a 3.17 median, but because only like 7% get a B- in any class, bottom 20% is probably around a 3.0. Employers thus don't give a whole lot of weight to the fact of whether you're slightly below median versus way below median.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone post UChi's and NYU's v10-v20 stats?

For those of us making decisions between the two...


Posting anonymously because I don't know how confidential this info is.

NYU didn't give us as detailed stats (I think we have to go to career services to get them and I'm to lazy to do so until after finals, they gave GPA averages for those who got offers at some firms, but I am definitely not allowed to leak that). I think we had an 80% success rate at EIW for the class of 2013, so relatively similar and I don't remember how many people participated, but I think it was in the high 70%'s.

I know from the rumor mill and what firms said at 1L receptions that we have at least 40 people going to just two firms (1 V5 and 1 V10) and that is only the people who accepted the offer so I imagine that our numbers are fairly similar on the Vault scale as well.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Is Spanish considered a valuable language at OCI if at a fluent level (particularly in California)?

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: 2011 OCI 2L Placement by School - post your school's data

Postby drbarry987 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I wonder why so fewer students participated at EIW at NYU ("high 70s%") than at CLS (92%) ?

I'm sure NYU's focus on PI accounts for some of the diparity, but it still seems like almost everyone should do EIW, try and get an offer, and then back out if a good PI job comes along later (since the PI recuiting cycle is later). What gives? Seems like a pretty big difference.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.