Competitive bids for SA positions or signing bonuses? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anteater85

New

Competitive bids for SA positions or signing bonuses?

Post by anteater85 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 am

I am asking this out of curiousity, and not because I expect to get one even if these existed . . .

Do firms ever give SAs or new associates more than market or a signing bonus even if the student is straight out of law school (vs. a clerkship or other WE)? Specifically, if a student has more than one offer from a big firm for through either OCI or for a permanent position, do firms ever offer $ to sweeten the deal?

I guess my followup question the answer to the first set of questions is yes is: Is this only in major markets?

bdubs

Gold

Re: Competitive bids for SA positions or signing bonuses?

Post by bdubs » Fri May 27, 2011 10:39 am

I might be wrong, but I think this is the whole reason why salaries are lockstep (at top firms). Firms dislike bidding, it's more of a take what you get here, or get the same or very similar elsewhere.

If you're talking about firms that are smaller, or lower than lockstep, then perhaps there is room to strike a deal.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:42 am

In the current legal market where there are less jobs than qualified JDs it wouldn't make sense for firms to bid for someone. There could be rare instances of this happening but the person would be easily replaceable.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Doesn't even happen for Supreme Court clerks (I mean, ignoring the crazy high signing bonuses for SCOTUS clerks, anyway).

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:41 am

ran12 wrote:In the current legal market where there are less jobs than qualified JDs it wouldn't make sense for firms to bid for someone.
By that logic it doesn't make sense for them to pay $160,000, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon May 30, 2011 9:48 am

anteater85 wrote:I am asking this out of curiousity, and not because I expect to get one even if these existed . . .

Do firms ever give SAs or new associates more than market or a signing bonus even if the student is straight out of law school (vs. a clerkship or other WE)? Specifically, if a student has more than one offer from a big firm for through either OCI or for a permanent position, do firms ever offer $ to sweeten the deal?

I guess my followup question the answer to the first set of questions is yes is: Is this only in major markets?
I can't say I've ever heard of this, although maybe for SCOTUS clerks. But if you're choosing between V10 firm 1 and V10 firm 2, neither one is doing to up your offer just to pull you away from the other.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon May 30, 2011 9:55 am

I figured new big law associates would get signing bonuses. I'm going to a mid law firm at below market, but I was given a signing bonus. I'm using it to cover expenses between graduation and my starting date after the bar.

How do new big law associates bridge the gap without signing bonuses?

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon May 30, 2011 10:06 am

holdencaulfield wrote:I figured new big law associates would get signing bonuses. I'm going to a mid law firm at below market, but I was given a signing bonus. I'm using it to cover expenses between graduation and my starting date after the bar.

How do new big law associates bridge the gap without signing bonuses?
Some firms pay for bar prep courses + give salary advance or stipend, and other firms give larger stipends, expecting that you use some of the money to live on and some of it for a bar prep course.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 am

Diversity fellowships and other firm scholarships can function this way.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 11:28 am

Some firms do give signing bonuses or bar stipends, but they (like salary) are non-negotiable and lockstep. They're not given to lure students in (that's what 2L summer jobs are for), but to bridge the gap during bar prep, as other posters said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”