Most selective Bay Area law firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Most selective Bay Area law firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm

I am a 2L at a top 10 school and I am between the top 50-25% as far as grades at my school. We have to bid on employer interviews and I just wanted to know which bay area law firms are the most selective, hardest to get into so that I do not waste a bid on them and which are not as selective, but still pay well?

Thanks,

amandap

Bronze

Re: Most selective Bay Area law firms

Post by amandap » Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Does most prestigious necessarily mean most selective as far as grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2011 8:21 pm

The bay area is very selective. With your grades, you better have good ties to CA. If you do, you will probably be ok.

Most selective in bay area:
Kirkland
Mofo
Gibson Dunn
Munger (of course)

The other firms are less selective, but most, with the exception of some of the larger SV offices (latham, wilson, mofo) only take 5-10 summers, and some even less. So keep that in mind. The largest classes in the bay typically top out at 30, max, and only at a couple firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The bay area is very selective. With your grades, you better have good ties to CA. If you do, you will probably be ok.

Kirkland
Mofo
Gibson Dunn
Munger (of course)

The other firms are less selective, but most, with the exception of some of the larger SV offices (latham, wilson, mofo) only take 5-10 summers, and some even less. So keep that in mind. The largest classes in the bay typically top out at 30, max, and only at a couple firms.
Old thread but saw this. Don't agree - surely the NY firms (STB, DPW, Skadden) are up there. Those from my school seemed to get more offers from some of the above than those I mentioned now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The bay area is very selective. With your grades, you better have good ties to CA. If you do, you will probably be ok.

Kirkland
Mofo
Gibson Dunn
Munger (of course)

Old thread but saw this. Don't agree - surely the NY firms (STB, DPW, Skadden) are up there. Those from my school seemed to get more offers from some of the above than those I mentioned now.
Pretty shitty example you chose. Arendt Fox NY gives fewer offers than Paul Weiss, but that doesn't imply that the former is more selective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm

The most selective firms overall are definitely Altshuler Berzon and Keker & Van Nest. They only take top 5% types, and only from top 10 schools. In Keker's case they usually only look at HYS and B. All of the summers at both firms usually go on to fed clerkships.

After those two the most selective are prob Howard Rice and of course Leif Cabraser. For the big firms, Covington is quite tough to get. Gibson Dunn is pretty selective as well, especially because the SF office is quite small.

Also to the poster who said Munger: they dont hire 2Ls. Only 1Ls (one summer only) and then post-clerkship applicants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The most selective firms overall are definitely Altshuler Berzon and Keker & Van Nest. They only take top 5% types, and only from top 10 schools. In Keker's case they usually only look at HYS and B. All of the summers at both firms usually go on to fed clerkships.

After those two the most selective are prob Howard Rice and of course Leif Cabraser. For the big firms, Covington is quite tough to get. Gibson Dunn is pretty selective as well, especially because the SF office is quite small.

Also to the poster who said Munger: they dont hire 2Ls. Only 1Ls(one summer only) and then post-clerkship applicants.
This is incorrect.. if you look at the NALP forms, Munger had 22 2Ls last summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The most selective firms overall are definitely Altshuler Berzon and Keker & Van Nest. They only take top 5% types, and only from top 10 schools. In Keker's case they usually only look at HYS and B. All of the summers at both firms usually go on to fed clerkships.

Also to the poster who said Munger: they dont hire 2Ls. Only 1Ls(one summer only) and then post-clerkship applicants.
This is incorrect.. if you look at the NALP forms, Munger had 22 2Ls last summer.
Not OP: I am sure this poster is referring to Munger San Francisco, since after all, this is the most selective Bay Area firms. Munger LA, of course, hires 2L summers and is very selective.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP: I am sure this poster is referring to Munger San Francisco, since after all, this is the most selective Bay Area firms. Munger LA, of course, hires 2L summers and is very selective.
Exactly. This thread is about the Bay Area.

Munger SF does not hire 2Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:17 am

The most selective 4 are definitely Keker, Howard Rice, Altshuler Berzon, and Lieff Cabraser. Farella Braun is similarly selective and fancy, I think. Of the big offices, MoFo, Covington, and GDC are the most selective, followed by the other big offices in the area (Quinn/Orrick/Wilson/K&E/etc.), followed by random satellite offices of national firms (which have smaller class sizes). I have no idea about how IP-oriented firms/offices fall into this hierarchy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:The most selective 4 are definitely Keker, Howard Rice, Altshuler Berzon, and Lieff Cabraser. Farella Braun is similarly selective and fancy, I think. Of the big offices, MoFo, Covington, and GDC are the most selective, followed by the other big offices in the area (Quinn/Orrick/Wilson/K&E/etc.), followed by random satellite offices of national firms (which have smaller class sizes). I have no idea about how IP-oriented firms/offices fall into this hierarchy.
This seems about right, though Lieff isn't as grade-selective as it is interest-selective (you have to have a serious interest in plaintiff-side work, without which it doesn't matter how good your grades are, even from HYS).

I think KVN, Altshuler and Howard Rice are a notch more selective than anywhere else in the Bay Area. Farella has a small class, but doesn't care as much about grades as the other three. Same with Shartsis Friese.

Covington, GDC and Quinn are probably the most selective BigLaw shops, with K&E, MoFo and OMM another step below.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not OP: I am sure this poster is referring to Munger San Francisco, since after all, this is the most selective Bay Area firms. Munger LA, of course, hires 2L summers and is very selective.
Exactly. This thread is about the Bay Area.

Munger SF does not hire 2Ls.
Is the 1L hiring through their diversity program, or is there an SF specific hiring program?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The most selective 4 are definitely Keker, Howard Rice, Altshuler Berzon, and Lieff Cabraser. Farella Braun is similarly selective and fancy, I think. Of the big offices, MoFo, Covington, and GDC are the most selective, followed by the other big offices in the area (Quinn/Orrick/Wilson/K&E/etc.), followed by random satellite offices of national firms (which have smaller class sizes). I have no idea about how IP-oriented firms/offices fall into this hierarchy.

I hate to bump such an old thread, but why would someone choose Altshuler or Lieff over less selective firms that pay so much more per year?

What are exit options from elite plaintiff-side firms, like those two?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:14 pm

GDC hires people who are top 1/3 at MVP. Not sure if that counts as "selective."

arodtoo

New

Post by arodtoo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Which of the bay area firms would be likely to hire a 3l? Are they receptive to mass mailings?

My ties to the area: spent early childhood there, lots of extended family still there, parents just retired there

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I hate to bump such an old thread, but why would someone choose Altshuler or Lieff over less selective firms that pay so much more per year?

What are exit options from elite plaintiff-side firms, like those two?
they are great firms for 2L summer as they will help federal clerkship hiring. for real associates, i think ppl just generally like the work. rather than defending evil corporations , you are suing on behalf of migrant farm workers and stuff. basically, doing good-people work but still getting paid reasonably.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:18 am

Most selective: KVN.

Does Vault rank-related selectivity transfer over to the West Coast?

No, no, no. Many of the higher vault firms have crap BA practices.

The vault rankings should be renamed: the rankings of Public Company and PE corporate firms located in NYC, Chicago, and DC. Lit firms (see Williams Connolly, Quinn, Boies), and private company corporate, VC, and tech firms (see most of the West Coast/ Silicon Valley powerhouses) aren't really measured in the vault rankings well.

The obligatory V30 NYC/Chicago satellites in Palo Alto are not nearly as selective because they are on the bottom of the food chain.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Most selective: KVN.

Does Vault rank-related selectivity transfer over to the West Coast?

No, no, no. Many of the higher vault firms have crap BA practices.

The vault rankings should be renamed: the rankings of Public Company and PE corporate firms located in NYC, Chicago, and DC. Lit firms (see Williams Connolly, Quinn, Boies), and private company corporate, VC, and tech firms (see most of the West Coast/ Silicon Valley powerhouses) aren't really measured in the vault rankings well.

The obligatory V30 NYC/Chicago satellites in Palo Alto are not nearly as selective because they are on the bottom of the food chain.
This thread slowed down. Does anyone know of selective mid size firms in SOUTHERN CA (LA, OC, SD) that are also great places to work (but hard to get). Like Althuser Berzon or Keker Van Nest. Even less selective. Mainly hoping to see if there are mid size firms that are good choices in so-cal even over some of the big firms

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Does Altshuler generally make permanent offers to summer associates?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 am

sheD wrote:Does Altshuler generally make permanent offers to summer associates?
No, permanent offers aren't even on the table.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:13 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
So what do their SAs do? Is there just an assumption that they will get clerkships and move on to something else (DOJ Honors, PI, another firm, etc.)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:42 am

sheD wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
So what do their SAs do? Is there just an assumption that they will get clerkships and move on to something else (DOJ Honors, PI, another firm, etc.)?
May I ask why selectivity is so important to you? Some of the best SoCal firms (Quinn, Cooley, OMM) are as good or better than some more selective ones (GDC, Irell, Latham).

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sheD wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
May I ask why selectivity is so important to you? Some of the best SoCal firms (Quinn, Cooley, OMM) are as good or better than some more selective ones (GDC, Irell, Latham).
....Didn't say it was. Simply asking what Atshuler SAs tend to do post-grad if offers aren't even on the table from the firm.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sheD wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
I think my question and the quoted ? were thought of as together. I was asking about firms in SoCal and I guess selective wasnt the correct choice of words. I meant are there any really good boutique(ish) firms in SoCal that were top notch. I only said selective because the most selective boutiques tend to be the best

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”