Political Affiliations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
non sequitur

Political Affiliations

Postby non sequitur » Thu May 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Is it inadvisable to include political affiliations on your resume? I am involved quite a bit in partisan politics, as this is one of the few genuine passions I have in life, so I don't do much of anything else extracurricular. It seems like this might sink me, but I am involved in the leadership of several political organizations, so perhaps it's good.

I am not talking about seeking a job in a heavily partisan area (other than my ideology/party), but more the law firms which seem to have a mix of ideological leanings. What is the general TLS consensus on this? Good ... bad?

Borhas

Re: Political Affiliations

Postby Borhas » Thu May 26, 2011 8:39 pm

focus on the leadership aspect (and other actual work), not the affiliation

e.g. what problems you solved and how you solved them...

but I don't think you need to hide your passion... unless you're a birther.

Indubitably

Postby Indubitably » Sat May 28, 2011 12:05 pm

While it is obviously firm-dependent, most places will have a mix of political leanings. It's not like you're going to be chastised for being a Democrat or Republican; don't worry about it.

I had political stuff listed on my resume. During one of my callback interviews, a partner point-blank told me that he was a Republican and asked what my views were. I told him I was a Democrat and we had a nice chat about politics for a few minutes. I ended up getting the offer.

So, don't worry about it. But, as the above poster said: focus on the work, not the affiliation.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:35 pm

I have a couple of obviously political things on my resume (school democrats - president) and the senator I interned for (although I don't have his political affiliation listed, everyone seems to know). Most employers haven't talked about it, and the ones who have said it was a positive. But, this depends upon where you want to work - I'm primarily interested in things that are liberal in nature, so, of course being liberal is only positive.

Return to “Legal Employment”