Tier 2 OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Tier 2 OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Can anyone throw around OCI numbers at their schools? We have some decent data in previous posts regarding t14/20. Frankly I'm wondering if OCI even exists for this range of schools...

DAJ_Summer
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby DAJ_Summer » Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 am

OCI doesn't really exist at Tier 2 schools.

(It happens, but only a tiny fraction of the student population has a chance. Those I knew with strong credentials from T2 schools often had luck with direct mailings - the firms sure as hell weren't coming to them, though)

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby TTH » Thu May 26, 2011 9:42 am

DAJ_Summer wrote:OCI doesn't really exist at Tier 2 schools.

(It happens, but only a tiny fraction of the student population has a chance. Those I knew with strong credentials from T2 schools often had luck with direct mailings - the firms sure as hell weren't coming to them, though)


At my non t25 T1, we have a whopping 30 employers coming to OCI. The top 10% of the class will all get 5-6 interviews each and the rest of us will be out in the cold.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 am

OCI certainly exists at TTs; but don't expect to get interviews unless you're at or near the top of the class (e.g. like top 15-20% at the lowest--and even then, interview/CB ratios add another layer of unpredictability). It's really eye-opening to compare TTs v. T20s--like, two orders of magnitude more employers may be at the latter compared to the former.

As the previous poaster intimated, mass-mailing is highly credited. If you're at a TT (or anywhere except HYS), you want a firm, and you don't mass mail--you're an idiot.

Edit: Dang--sorry TTH, that's a tough break. There's really a strong discrepancy in OCI even between some T20 v. T30 schools. At GW, we have like 29 bidding options for the elusive 3L OCI (I think like 15 or so are firms--the rest are gubmint jerbs). IIRC, we had something like 174 bidding options and 121 unique employers at 2L OCI (edit--if you added-in our regional programs, there were more like 130-140 unique employers). Granted, the school is twice the size as many (most?) schools; but you still couldn't be like median and expect lots of interviews.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby TTH » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Edit: Dang--sorry TTH, that's a tough break. There's really a strong discrepancy in OCI even between some T20 v. T30 schools. At GW, we have like 29 bidding options for the elusive 3L OCI (I think like 15 or so are firms--the rest are gubmint jerbs). IIRC, we had something like 174 bidding options and 121 unique employers at 2L OCI (edit--if you added-in our regional programs, there were more like 130-140 unique employers). Granted, the school is twice the size as many (most?) schools; but you still couldn't be like median and expect lots of interviews.


What a difference a big market/half a dozen spots in the rankings make. I just counted and we have 30 bidding options for 25 unique employers. Some of those are interviewing for multiple offices, but only have one bid option. There's also another four resume collects, and I don't have access to the regional symplicity thing yet.

Still, it's a jungle out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 am

In that case it's not surprising when top 5% students transfer from T2/lower T1 schools...Just the confidence of having an OCI goes a long way...no matter how false that confidence is.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu May 26, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:In that case it's not surprising when top 5% students transfer from T2/lower T1 schools...Just the confidence of having an OCI goes a long way...no matter how false that confidence is.


True. I think the doods at lawschooltransparency.com should try to get OCI numbers from schools. That information, IMO, could elucidate employment expectations for prospective students.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby keg411 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In that case it's not surprising when top 5% students transfer from T2/lower T1 schools...Just the confidence of having an OCI goes a long way...no matter how false that confidence is.


True. I think the doods at lawschooltransparency.com should try to get OCI numbers from schools. That information, IMO, could elucidate employment expectations for prospective students.


You can get the firm data through NALP (although this doesn't help with the number actually hired through OCI). I'm considering a transfer, so I made a spreadsheet and the difference is really significant.

Also, I agree with the above; there is a safety net to getting 20+ interviews through the top school OCI/EIW programs as opposed to 5-6 at lower ranked schools. On the other hand, most of the lower ranked schools are pre-select, so to even to get an initial interview you have to have the credentials where at top schools you can screw yourself if you bid poorly since it's all lottery and your own choices.

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby SteelReserve » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

I attend a T50-100. Yes we have OCI and yes some people received summer associate positions and ultimate offers, and I know each of them. Approximately 10 people received SAs.

Basically it works like this: If you are top 20% you will get some screening interviews, maybe a dozen or so, then you will get a few call backs if you interview well. But ultimately the people that actually received offers were absolute top students, within the top 5%.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 pm

SteelReserve wrote:I attend a T50-100. Yes we have OCI and yes some people received summer associate positions and ultimate offers, and I know each of them. Approximately 10 people received SAs.

Basically it works like this: If you are top 20% you will get some screening interviews, maybe a dozen or so, then you will get a few call backs if you interview well. But ultimately the people that actually received offers were absolute top students, within the top 5%.



Quoted for posterity, as well as complete truth.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tier 2 OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 am

SteelReserve wrote:I attend a T50-100. Yes we have OCI and yes some people received summer associate positions and ultimate offers, and I know each of them. Approximately 10 people received SAs.

Basically it works like this: If you are top 20% you will get some screening interviews, maybe a dozen or so, then you will get a few call backs if you interview well. But ultimately the people that actually received offers were absolute top students, within the top 5%.



You will see the same people interviewing at every firm that goes to OCI at a t50-100. I went to upitt. I agree with the top20-25% or so candidates getting a decent amount of screening interviews but im not sure all the jobs went to the top 5%. I think there was def a correlation between grades and % of offers but I dont think it was that extreme.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.