Good for my resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DocHawkeye

Good for my resume?

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 am

I am a 0L have been offered a position as a "Community Organizer" with Opportunity for America (i.e.: the 2012 Obama campaign). It is an unpaid position and I am trying to determine if it worthwhile as a line on my resume as I look for a 1L SA (or similar) position in a few months. The position will consist of overseeing various "grass roots" volunteers in an important battleground state as well as various administrative tasks and I will report directly to staffers at the DNC. Thoughts?

Ginj

Re: Good for my resume?

Postby Ginj » Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 am

I worked in a paid position for the 2008 Obama campaign. I think that it's a beneficial experience in terms of your overall professional development. Will it help with future legal employment? Who knows. I'm not sure how common it is. However, if your experience is anything like mine, it will demonstrate a certain level of work ethic. I was working 80+ hours a week.

Probably not very helpful, but good luck!

micwrecka45

Postby micwrecka45 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 pm

sure it'll help a bit. for an SA position though, the only line that really matters is the one that has your law school GPA (1st semester for 1L SA and 1st year for 2L SA). everything else is just splitting hairs.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 25, 2011 8:00 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I am a 0L have been offered a position as a "Community Organizer" with Opportunity for America (i.e.: the 2012 Obama campaign). It is an unpaid position and I am trying to determine if it worthwhile as a line on my resume as I look for a 1L SA (or similar) position in a few months. The position will consist of overseeing various "grass roots" volunteers in an important battleground state as well as various administrative tasks and I will report directly to staffers at the DNC. Thoughts?

TLS conventional wisdom would say "probably not lead to any direct benefits"

PS, I love M*A*S*H

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 25, 2011 8:02 pm

What's the alternative? If you're just going to be sitting around all summer, this certainly can't hurt.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Unless you plan going into elections law or something similar, I don't think so. I volunteered (organizing, phone banking, researching, etc.) with the 2008 campaign, and the DCCC, and it hasn't helped me get a legal position so far. It did help me get interviews in the public sector, but didn't have much mileage outside of that. I think they wanted to see how those experiences translated directly to the work I would be doing at the firms, if the e-mail are any indication. Keep in mind that I haven't applied to any law firms since the end of 2009, when legal work was harder to get than it is now.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed May 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Borhas wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:I am a 0L have been offered a position as a "Community Organizer" with Opportunity for America (i.e.: the 2012 Obama campaign). It is an unpaid position and I am trying to determine if it worthwhile as a line on my resume as I look for a 1L SA (or similar) position in a few months. The position will consist of overseeing various "grass roots" volunteers in an important battleground state as well as various administrative tasks and I will report directly to staffers at the DNC. Thoughts?

TLS conventional wisdom would say "probably not lead to any direct benefits"

PS, I love M*A*S*H

So do I but I fail to see how this relates to anything written in this thread so far. Also, being in politics would be kinda cool but I suspect that there are more direct routes than this.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Also, being in politics would be kinda cool but I suspect that there are more direct routes than this.

i fail to see how this relates to anything written in this thread so far

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Dany wrote:What's the alternative? If you're just going to be sitting around all summer, this certainly can't hurt.

Basically this. Working on the campaign isn't going to help or hurt you really but if I were you I would try to find a job that actually pays me money.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm

naterj wrote:
Dany wrote:What's the alternative? If you're just going to be sitting around all summer, this certainly can't hurt.

Basically this. Working on the campaign isn't going to help or hurt you really but if I were you I would try to find a job that actually pays me money.

I have a job that pays money. It only requires that I work four hours per week in the summer. I'm looking for something worthwhile to do with the rest of my time.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

I mean, I'd get another paying job to save up for 1L if I were you, but if not then go for it.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Ginj wrote:I worked in a paid position for the 2008 Obama campaign.

Ditto, me too. But OP, you should consider how much this job would burn you out prior to law school this fall. As an organizer in 2008, I was working 12 to 16 hours a day, seven days a week in a high stress environment. I loved the work and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, but it was ridiculously taxing on my body and mind. Your job would probably be a lot less stressful since there's no election, but I'm not sure if the resume boost would outweigh the risk of pre-1L burnout.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
Ginj wrote:I worked in a paid position for the 2008 Obama campaign.

Ditto, me too. But OP, you should consider how much this job would burn you out prior to law school this fall. As an organizer in 2008, I was working 12 to 16 hours a day, seven days a week in a high stress environment. I loved the work and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, but it was ridiculously taxing on my body and mind. Your job would probably be a lot less stressful since there's no election, but I'm not sure if the resume boost would outweigh the risk of pre-1L burnout.

This is what I am worried about.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Hey, what about Obama?

"Community Organizer" --> Senator --> President

Didn't hurt his resume as far as I can see.

LogosEther

Postby LogosEther » Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 pm

weejonbu wrote:Hey, what about Obama?

"Community Organizer" --> Senator --> President

Didn't hurt his resume as far as I can see.

I think you missed a minor step or two:

(Community Organizer in the background) Editor, Harvard Law Review --> Lawyer --> Law Lecturer --> Senator --> President

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu May 26, 2011 11:01 am

Don't take a "volunteer position." The campaign will be hiring plenty of honest-to-god staff soon enough, and it's not going to help all that much with 1L jerb search. Law schools are filled with ex-political operatives.

Return to “Legal Employment”