Pepper Hamilton's "Extreme Interviews" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wojo96

New

Pepper Hamilton's "Extreme Interviews"

Post by wojo96 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Loving this news that Pepper Hamilton is adopting more case based interviews, similar to how finance and consulting firms vet their candidates.

Seems to be a boon to well-adjusted law students and those with substantial work experience.

Any 2Ls/3Ls taking part? Would be curious a) details about the process (anecdotally), b) whether candidates felt this was an effective legal interviewing technique, and c) blind speculation as to whether other firms will adopt this rigorous standard.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Pepper Hamilton's "Extreme Interviews"

Post by kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

I like the idea. I'd rather be questioned about my writing sample and asked to defend it than be judged based on how well I converse about sports.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue May 24, 2011 3:35 pm

kalvano wrote:I like the idea. I'd rather be questioned about my writing sample and asked to defend it than be judged based on how well I converse about sports.
Eh, I dunno, I guess it's all a matter of preference, but I wonder if this approach will catch-on. I prefer the old way and don't think this approach will become the norm. I also doubt that any interviewer will judge a candidate based upon how well he/she can converse in sports. Sports convos in interviews are actually pretty common but usually as an icebreaker/parting chatter--not as a variable for assessment.

If you're given a CB, then you've probably met a firm benchmark for success (e.g. credentials and the "stamp of approval" by your screening interviewer). At that point, the consensus seems to be that interviewers want to see if they'd be able to spend like 20 hours straight with a candidate on a deal/trial/etc... without wanting to strangle the candidate. Sure, the more substantive Q&A reveals a candidate's ability to perform some functions of the profession, but I wonder whether that assessment could be incorporated without this whole "three-pronged" pressure-interview.

I've definitely had a mix of both in my experience: interviewers grilling me for a bit about a note topic, then shooting the sht about sports or something. While it's intellectually stimulating to talk about a note topic or a writing sample, it's equally stimulating to create a personal connection outside of "law" with someone during an interview (As an aside--I see how the third-prong is "traditional" interviewing...but, in case anybody hasn't experienced one, "panel" interviews suck and largely resemble a candidate pressure-cooker. This result, IMO, defeats the purpose of the "traditional interview" anyways).

Thus, I doubt this tactic will catch-on. The result Pepper seeks could probably be achieved by having each interviewer during a CB ask some questions, requiring the candidate to think on his/her feet, rather than implementing some draconian ibank-style interviewing system (I've done them...they suck).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Callbacks aren't really about simply "fit" anymore. Some firms brought back over a 100 candidates back for 12 summer positions. I went through this Pepper interview last year. Its not hard, nerve wracking or anything like that. They all basically end up turning into conversations.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
kalvano wrote:I like the idea. I'd rather be questioned about my writing sample and asked to defend it than be judged based on how well I converse about sports.
Sports convos in interviews are actually pretty common but usually as an icebreaker/parting chatter--not as a variable for assessment.
Only callback interview --> product of trying to analyze why Lincecum was having such a horrible month last year, and speculating as to whether he would bounce back. Didn't end up getting the job, but got a World Series.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Callbacks aren't really about simply "fit" anymore. Some firms brought back over a 100 candidates back for 12 summer positions. I went through this Pepper interview last year. Its not hard, nerve wracking or anything like that. They all basically end up turning into conversations.
Thanks for the info :).

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed May 25, 2011 12:34 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Sports convos in interviews are actually pretty common but usually as an icebreaker/parting chatter--not as a variable for assessment.
Only callback interview --> product of trying to analyze why Lincecum was having such a horrible month last year, and speculating as to whether he would bounce back. Didn't end up getting the job, but got a World Series.
Damn, dood, out of like 10 CBs, sports only came up in passing. Welp, rising 2Ls, it couldn't hurt to catch ESPN once or twice a week. :wink:

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 25, 2011 6:58 am

It always shocks me how many times posters on here express fear of talking about sports.......it reminds me that many of you are like little Nileses on Frasier.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 am

A'nold wrote:It always shocks me how many times posters on here express fear of talking about sports.......it reminds me that many of you are like little Nileses on Frasier.
Okay, that is pretty freakin funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed May 25, 2011 1:01 pm

My only SA CB heavily revolved around sports (probably because it was a niche boutique, and I'm only a 1L), but mostly because it was a standout on my resume. If anyone ever asked me about football or baseball news, I'd be in trouble. I can talk about soccer until the end of time, but football and baseball bore me to tears.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2011 1:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:My only SA CB heavily revolved around sports (probably because it was a niche boutique, and I'm only a 1L), but mostly because it was a standout on my resume. If anyone ever asked me about football or baseball news, I'd be in trouble. I can talk about soccer until the end of time, but football and baseball bore me to tears.
Same for me. For a large DC firm callback, almost every interview during the day started with the disinterested "oh I didn't have time to review your resume; please tell me about yourself" one. I would just say my rehearsed spiel and then dovetail with a piece of current news that was reconcilable with my stated interests and an area of that person's practice. Then the convo would just drift for the next 25 minutes into anything from the Nats to mountain biking to food (basically cocktail chatter). I had a voicemail offer waiting when my plane landed a few hours later. Based on the expediency, it seems clear that they just flew me out there to dazzle me with the firm's extravagances and also ensure that I'm not a complete ra-tard.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 pm

damn. i was kind of hoping extreme interviewing was more like this

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 25, 2011 7:17 pm

A'nold wrote:It always shocks me how many times posters on here express fear of talking about sports.......it reminds me that many of you are like little Nileses on Frasier.

I know absolutely nothing about sports other than hockey. Less than nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 25, 2011 7:28 pm

kalvano wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about sports other than hockey. Less than nothing.
Hmmm.....I shall engage in a factors balancing test to determine your manliness (conclusory preemption of claims of irrelevance to thread: it is relevant):

1) Are you actually a guy?
2) Where are you from?
3) Private or public schools growing up?
4) Sports played and at what age?
5) ???????? (out of order but always necessary)
6) Profit.
7) Beard or no beard?
8) How much knowledge of hockey do you have and how often do you watch?
9) Do you follow a certain team?
10) If you do watch hockey and/or go to the games, would you miss a playoff game your team is playing in to go to the opera, go on a date w/ your girlfriend/wife, go hiking, or something similar?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 25, 2011 9:58 pm

A'nold wrote: 1) Are you actually a guy?
2) Where are you from?
6) Profit.
7) Beard or no beard?
10) If you do watch hockey and/or go to the games, would you miss a playoff game your team is playing in to go to the opera, go on a date w/ your girlfriend/wife, go hiking, or something similar?
1) It would appear so.
2) Texas.
3) Public until I was kicked out, private from 7th to 12th grade.
4) Karate, 26-28, until a knee went bad.
5) !!!!!!!!!
6) Not with the current market.
7) Partial beard, for a long time. I hate shaving.
8) A good bit, and I watched all 82 games before last season. As many games as I could last season, but being 1L, not as many as I would have liked.
9) Stars, mostly.
10) My wife would love to go to playoff games as a date, so your question is invalid.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 pm

glitter178 wrote:damn. i was kind of hoping extreme interviewing was more like this

+1 :lol:

I might actually have a better shot that way.... maaaybe.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 26, 2011 8:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
2) Where are you from?
6) Profit.
7) Beard or no beard?
1) It would appear so.
2) Texas.
5) !!!!!!!!!
8) A good bit, and I watched all 82 games before last season. As many games as I could last season, but being 1L, not as many as I would have liked.
9) Stars, mostly.
10) My wife would love to go to playoff games as a date, so your question is invalid.
1) semi-feminine response but too many variables to count as a factor.
2) Hmmm....it appears that you are from Dallas, the yuppiest big city in Texas, no?
3) Would need to know why you were kicked out to evaluate this as a plus or minus.
4) This is a very big negative. Parents put their losery, unathletic kids in karate in hopes that they will learn some self respect and how to defend themselves from the bullies constantly beating them up. The fact that this came about later in life is especially disturbing.
5) Totally.
6) Admitting to self-doom = manly.
7) Are you stubble guy like Tom Sellek or like nerdy computer guy wearing a greasy ponytail and black t-shirt? This is a wash as of now.
8) Watching all 82 hockey games = almost prima facie case of at least some manliness.
9) Not a deciding factor.
10) Wife more manly than you = a bad sign......

I dub thee placed in the semi-butch feminist category (manlier than valley girl but less manly than ball busting she-male. Think Hillary Clinton).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 pm

A'nold wrote:1) semi-feminine response but too many variables to count as a factor.
2) Hmmm....it appears that you are from Dallas, the yuppiest big city in Texas, no?
3) Would need to know why you were kicked out to evaluate this as a plus or minus.
4) This is a very big negative. Parents put their losery, unathletic kids in karate in hopes that they will learn some self respect and how to defend themselves from the bullies constantly beating them up. The fact that this came about later in life is especially disturbing.
5) Totally.
7) Are you stubble guy like Tom Sellek or like nerdy computer guy wearing a greasy ponytail and black t-shirt? This is a wash as of now.
8) Watching all 82 hockey games = almost prima facie case of at least some manliness.

I dub thee placed in the semi-butch feminist category (manlier than valley girl but less manly than ball busting she-male. Think Hillary Clinton).
1) I also said I am married with a wife and live in Texas. By default, that makes me male.
2) Don't judge me....I hate the fact that I am from Texas. Texas blows.
3) I got pushed off the slide and went face-first into gravel. Two weeks later, I saw the kid that did it drinking from the water fountain and slammed him face-first into the wall and broke his nose and chipped 3 teeth.
4) I can beat you up.
5) @@@@@@@
6) Unicorns and sunshine!
7) Neither one. I don't shave unless I have to, but I have no greasy long hair.
8) I would watch more if the Stars didn't suck.
9) OK.
10) How does that make her more manly? That makes her awesome. But it's my fault that she likes hockey, which by default makes me more manly.

Hillary Clinton? Have you ever heard of a karate move called the Cobra? Come closer, I think you'll find it fascinating. You don't need to use your hands, right?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 am

kalvano wrote:
2) Where are you from?
6) Profit.
7) Beard or no beard?

1) It would appear so.
(that I am, in fact, a guy and not a chick; added for effect by Lawquacious).....
2) Texas.
5) !!!!!!!!!
9) Stars, mostly.
:shock: no offense intended but I totally thought you were a chick for the longest time (i.e. until you presently disclosed otherwise)... I think it was that in the past your tar was a picture of some chick... that often throws me lol....

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 27, 2011 7:51 am

Did you think I was hot?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 27, 2011 4:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
A'nold wrote:1) semi-feminine response but too many variables to count as a factor.
5) Totally.

1) I also said I am married with a wife and live in Texas. By default, that makes me male.
2) Don't judge me....I hate the fact that I am from Texas. Texas blows.
3) I got pushed off the slide and went face-first into gravel. Two weeks later, I saw the kid that did it drinking from the water fountain and slammed him face-first into the wall and broke his nose and chipped 3 teeth.
4) I can beat you up.
5) @@@@@@@
6) Unicorns and sunshine!
7) Neither one. I don't shave unless I have to, but I have no greasy long hair.
8) I would watch more if the Stars didn't suck.
9) OK.
10) How does that make her more manly? That makes her awesome. But it's my fault that she likes hockey, which by default makes me more manly.

Hillary Clinton? Have you ever heard of a karate move called the Cobra? Come closer, I think you'll find it fascinating. You don't need to use your hands, right?
:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri May 27, 2011 4:22 pm

:lol:

I know nothing about sports.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Honestly, I love hearing that sports is such a common topic in interviews/callbacks. I have a pretty good working knowledge of football, baseball, and basketball, and would love to get hired to a market-paying position based on my addiction to ESPN. And watching sports seems considerably easier and more enjoyable than striving for top 10%.

wojo96

New

Post by wojo96 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:39 pm

beachbum wrote:And watching sports seems considerably easier and more enjoyable than striving for top 10%.
Hah "PTI" and prosper...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri May 27, 2011 4:53 pm

beachbum wrote:Honestly, I love hearing that sports is such a common topic in interviews/callbacks. I have a pretty good working knowledge of football, baseball, and basketball, and would love to get hired to a market-paying position based on my addiction to ESPN. And watching sports seems considerably easier and more enjoyable than striving for top 10%.
The caveat is if you're not in the top 10%, you aren't getting these interviews to begin with.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”