Orrick: You too could make $60k in West Virginia!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Orrick: You too could make $60k in West Virginia!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2011 11:47 am

I was a Knight of the Golden Horseshoe. Got tapped on the shoulder with by Gov. Bob Wise and everything.

Didn't even list it on my academic resume in high school.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:51 am

Also, LOL that they call their office in WV their "Global Operations Center"

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Jesus, this guy has an MS in Industrial Engineering from Carnegie Mellon and graduated from GULC in 2005. How would you convince this guy to work in bumfuck WV?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Flips88 wrote:Jesus, this guy has an MS in Industrial Engineering from Carnegie Mellon and graduated from GULC in 2005. How would you convince this guy to work in bumfuck WV?

Education: B.S., cum laude, Mechanical Engineering, West Virginia University, 1991

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Flips88 wrote:Jesus, this guy has an MS in Industrial Engineering from Carnegie Mellon and graduated from GULC in 2005. How would you convince this guy to work in bumfuck WV?

An MS in IE is basically useless when you're practicing in securities litigation.

GULC is not so good a school that graduates don't struggle to find work.

He might be from WV.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:13 pm

RVP11 wrote:

An MS in IE is basically useless when you're practicing in securities litigation.

GULC is not so good a school that graduates don't struggle to find work.

He might be from WV.

Even if he was at Yale and graduated in 2005, that was 6 years ago. Most associates don't last that long. Furthermore a lot of associates got laid off in 2008-09.

Why are people so shocked to find that law isn't model and bottles. 60K in WV is a pretty comfy lifestyle. Especially if you did a couple years in big law and paid your debt off already.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why are people so shocked to find that law isn't model and bottles.

Debbie downer.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue May 24, 2011 1:23 pm

West Virginia is actually pretty beautiful. Not everyone is obsessed with NYC. Some people like trees.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:

West Virginia is actually pretty beautiful. Not everyone is obsessed with NYC. Some people like trees.

It's 48th in median income too! Prior state slogans include, "almost heaven," and "open for business."

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 pm

quakeroats wrote:It's 48th in median income too! Prior state slogans include, "almost heaven," and "open for business."

Wild and wonderful, baby.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm

quakeroats wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:

It's 48th in median income too! Prior state slogans include, "almost heaven," and "open for business."

Yeah, let's bash West Virginia for it's lack of political-economic power! Fuck the coal miners who helped build our nation, and fuck their progeny too! Sarcasm is so cool!

On the real, I wouldn't want to live in West Virginia. But I'm not from West Virginia. If my family and friends all lived there, it wouldn't be so bad. It really is a gorgeous state.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 2:10 pm

They are making more than Legal Aid lawyers here in Dallas.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue May 24, 2011 2:32 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:

Yeah, let's bash West Virginia for it's lack of political-economic power! Fuck the coal miners who helped build our nation, and fuck their progeny too! Sarcasm is so cool!

On the real, I wouldn't want to live in West Virginia. But I'm not from West Virginia. If my family and friends all lived there, it wouldn't be so bad. It really is a gorgeous state.

Honestly, fuck the coal miners. If they had never found coal in those hills, people there would be just as poor and at least not have cancer from drinking all the shit that runs off the mines into the water supply.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:36 pm

TTH wrote:Honestly, fuck the coal miners. If they had never found coal in those hills, people there would be just as poor and at least not have cancer from drinking all the shit that runs off the mines into the water supply.

The rest of the country wouldn't have shit either, well except for agricultural areas I guess. The industrial parts of the country were built on coal and still rely on it.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
TTH wrote:Honestly, fuck the coal miners. If they had never found coal in those hills, people there would be just as poor and at least not have cancer from drinking all the shit that runs off the mines into the water supply.

The rest of the country wouldn't have shit either, well except for agricultural areas I guess. The industrial parts of the country were built on coal and still rely on it.

Mostly because people won't stop using the shitty, dirty energy source because it's still so goddamn cheap, environment be damned.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Mostly because people won't stop using the shitty, dirty energy source because it's still so goddamn cheap, environment be damned.

It's "cheap" they don't have to pay for the damage they do to other people. I wouldn't say anything ill about the miners though. They're just regular folks looking for make a living.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Flips88 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Yeah but it would never have been started. I mean I guess if you hate everything industry has ever given us then you might have a point but I wouldn't want to go back to before coal power. I kind of doubt one day people would all of a sudden discover nuclear power or figure out how to use natural gas effectively.

j12

Postby j12 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 pm

WV Coal Miners can easily make $70-$100K/year.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 24, 2011 3:10 pm

j12bash wrote:WV Coal Miners can easily make $70-$100K/year.

Blackwater pays pretty well too.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

OMGz lawyerz making less than coal miners!

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

It's also pretty dangerous work.

Return to “Legal Employment”