Re PD / crim track

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
woej0001

Re PD / crim track

Postby woej0001 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:47 am

This is precisely what I want to do as well. Academically, I have taken evidence, crim pro 1 (booked it) and 2 (adjudication and "police"), and criminal. I am a lowish level editor on LR and am currently top 10%. I started clerking for a small private firm last fall crushing out motions, interviewing clients from time to time, and sporadically watching court proceedings. I then did the clinic at PD for this past spring in misdemeanor full time for 12 credits. I was more or less the unofficial attorney of record (I did everything from initial contact through trial) for about 60-70 clients at a time and did 5 trials (4 jury and 1 bench) and 5 or 6 major motion hearings. I am now back at my crim firm and taking some summer class. I got in with the misdemeanor chief and he said I can take one of his trials as first chair doing the entire thing about once per month when his rotation comes around. I should be able to get some stuff off a few other misdemeanor attorneys there as well. My school is ranked about #50. As a rising 3L any advice to further this career track?
Last edited by woej0001 on Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woej0001

Re: Re PD / crim track

Postby woej0001 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 am

Oops pushed the wrong button. Mod delete? I'll post in the proper place. Sorry, late and kinda drunk *_*

Gideon Strumpet

Re: Re PD / crim track

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Tue May 24, 2011 5:47 am

woej0001 wrote:As a rising 3L any advice to further this career track?

At this point, not much you can do but hope and pray. You have done an outstanding job doing every single thing within your control to set yourself up for this track. The only problem you will have now is the same problem we all have; finding an agency that's actually hiring.

A couple things you didn't mention, so I assume you might not have heard of: Georgetown runs an extremely competitive post-JD fellowship program for PDs (the Prettyman fellowship); you work as a PD and a clinical instructor for either two or three years I think, and get paid for it. Equal Justice Works also just started a new Equal Justice Corps program that funds new JDs to be placed in PD offices in selected states; also a hard program to get into, but a great start for a PD career. The EJW fellowship might give you a foot in the door at an agency that would want to hire you, but cannot due to budget issues. Both of these programs are super competitive, but with your experience, solid academics, and very strong demonstrated commitment, I think it's worth your time to apply for both of them.

Based on my experience with fellow interns and recent grads, I would say you are better set than 90-95% of new JD applicants to most public defender offices, in terms of your substantive experience. And you covered all your bases in school.

If you have the chance before you graduate and are looking for classes, I highly recommend taking anything you can on immigration; any class on statutory interpretation (often called "legislation" or "legislative process" or something like that); and professional responsibility (even if it's not required or you exempted out of it). Normally I would recommend clinic and trial ad as well, but it sounds like you have plenty of court time with your intern / extern job already.

Return to “Legal Employment”