1L at American and fluent in Arabic

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
csbcsb

1L at American and fluent in Arabic

Postby csbcsb » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 am

EDIT: nvm, someone private messaged me with all the info I need, thanks for your help. Mods can lock this thread.
Last edited by csbcsb on Tue May 24, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Re: 1L at American and fluent in Arabic

Postby Total Litigator » Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 am

At the very least, just know that now is exactly the time to be asking those questions. كنت سخيف رجل ثمل.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 am

Best get that flame in the gym, b.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue May 24, 2011 3:07 am

csbcsb wrote:Hey all,

I will be starting my first year at American this fall and have been thinking of potential legal fields that may interest me later on. International law has recently come to mind because of American's excellent international law program (2nd behind G-town I believe) and my Arabic speaking skills (can't read Arabic). What kind of jobs in the international law market will I have good access to with a JD from American and my Arabic speaking skills? What kind of salaries are we talking about? Do any of these jobs involve a lot of traveling around the world? Do any of these jobs involve relocating? This is assuming I land in the top 10% after 1L, of course.

Thanks ahead of time for your answers, and I apologize for my noobishness

If you are not a flame, definitely don't assume you will end up top 10%. Also, be prepared to be ridiculed on here for wanting international law: most people think it doesn't exist. The fact is that it is more of a meta-category description that can encompass many practice areas rather than being a particular substantive body of law IMO (which, in a sense, means it doesn't exist in the way other practice areas do). Additionally, it is very hard to get a law job that is international in scope, regardless of the practice area.

That said, I would def look at applying to CIA, State Department, and other Fed. agencies that may deal with counterterrorism. Your language expience could be a strong advantage for you. But it still may be a long shot, and the fact is you could prob be applying to some of those places now for agent-type positions just based on the language experience. That's one route. If you are more interested in business, I imagine you could also find an international niche involving Arab countries etc. It won't necessarily be easy to say the least, but I also wouldn't take it too much to heart if people tell you there's no way.... assuming you are for real..

Return to “Legal Employment”