Law as a noble profession

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow, this just came up on Volokh about conclusory:
http://volokh.com/2011/05/25/we-are-the ... sory-blog/

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 pm

So much for the topic of the thread

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby keg411 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 pm

You could tell Verity is a 0L simply because ConLawl sucks and no one post 1L talks about it like that.

To the OP - thanks for the topic. It's nice to see that some practicing attorneys are not jaded. I question your given reason behind the layoffs and no-offers (bad attitude rather than ITE), but I guess if you have to cut, that's one way of choosing to do so.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Verity » Wed May 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Verity, do you really not understand how fucking douchy you look? It's like I turned to a picture of someone with aspergers and saw you. People don't hate vocabulary, they hate people who look like they are trying to impress with their vocabulary. Seriously, if you want to be successful you need to learn how to interact with people. And seemingly you have gone through life without that skill.



This is nonsensical. You're assuming that the use of a word like "jejune," which you deem to be far too uncommon to use in any context, must necessarily imply that I'm trying to impress you.

Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?

Maybe you, and all the idiots who responded in kind ITT are douches for jumping to conclusions and focusing on inconsequential nonsense. I'm the one who had to defend myself from your smugness, and yes, what you are all doing is indeed a brand of smugness.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed May 25, 2011 1:13 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:You guys suck.

This statement is still true.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Verity wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Verity, do you really not understand how fucking douchy you look? It's like I turned to a picture of someone with aspergers and saw you. People don't hate vocabulary, they hate people who look like they are trying to impress with their vocabulary. Seriously, if you want to be successful you need to learn how to interact with people. And seemingly you have gone through life without that skill.


This is nonsensical. You're assuming that the use of a word like "jejune," which you deem to be far too uncommon to use in any context, must necessarily imply that I'm trying to impress you.
Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?

Maybe you, and all the idiots who responded in kind ITT are douches for jumping to conclusions and focusing on inconsequential nonsense. I'm the one who had to defend myself from your smugness, and yes, what you are all doing is indeed a brand of smugness.
it clearly made sense. And whether or not you were trying to impress is irrelevant because you came across like you were. Here is the thing, if everyone else thinks you are acting like a douche, it doesn't matter if you think you are. Plenty of well meaning people come off as assholes and they are treated like assholes. Your intentions don't really matter. A little self awareness would help you quite a bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?


Verity, had you known that this word would cause a "backlash" before you used it, would you still have used it?

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Verity » Wed May 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Verity wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Verity, do you really not understand how fucking douchy you look? It's like I turned to a picture of someone with aspergers and saw you. People don't hate vocabulary, they hate people who look like they are trying to impress with their vocabulary. Seriously, if you want to be successful you need to learn how to interact with people. And seemingly you have gone through life without that skill.


This is nonsensical. You're assuming that the use of a word like "jejune," which you deem to be far too uncommon to use in any context, must necessarily imply that I'm trying to impress you.
Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?

Maybe you, and all the idiots who responded in kind ITT are douches for jumping to conclusions and focusing on inconsequential nonsense. I'm the one who had to defend myself from your smugness, and yes, what you are all doing is indeed a brand of smugness.


it clearly made sense. And whether or not you were trying to impress is irrelevant because you came across like you were. Here is the thing, if everyone else thinks you are acting like a douche, it doesn't matter if you think you are. Plenty of well meaning people come off as assholes and they are treated like assholes. Your intentions don't really matter. A little self awareness would help you quite a bit.


So I'm not a douche, but I just come across as one? How can you say intentions don't matter? I'm not saying what's bolded above, I'm saying that it does matter that I didn't intend to be condescending. You all assume that I do, and that's the only way (if you're right) you could justifiably call me a douche.
Last edited by Verity on Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Verity » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?


Verity, had you known that this word would cause a "backlash" before you used it, would you still have used it?


I probably wouldn't have posted at all, since there are so many arrogant pricks ITT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Verity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?


Verity, had you known that this word would cause a "backlash" before you used it, would you still have used it?


I probably wouldn't have posted at all, since there are so many arrogant pricks ITT.


So you're repentant?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Verity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?


Verity, had you known that this word would cause a "backlash" before you used it, would you still have used it?


I probably wouldn't have posted at all, since there are so many arrogant pricks ITT.


So you're repentant?

Are you having a conversation with yourself?

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Verity » Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Verity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Honestly, I had no idea that an non-scientific, non-jargon, non-technical six-letter word would cause such a backlash. Really. I just used it because it fit. That makes me a douche?


Verity, had you known that this word would cause a "backlash" before you used it, would you still have used it?


I probably wouldn't have posted at all, since there are so many arrogant pricks ITT.


So you're repentant?


Not repentant, but maybe disgusted.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby AreJay711 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Verity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Verity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Verity, had you known that this word would cause a "backlash" before you used it, would you still have used it?


I probably wouldn't have posted at all, since there are so many arrogant pricks ITT.


So you're repentant?


Not repentant, but maybe disgusted.


Yeah, no regrets but you should be ashamed of yourself.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Verity » Wed May 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Are you having a conversation with yourself?


If that's your clever trick, touche.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Verity » Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Yeah, no regrets but you should be ashamed of yourself.



This, along with other reasons, is why most people think lawyers are scumbags. They cultivate a frame of mind and an attitude in law school that, while largely appropriate in the legal world, alienates others in real life. Like it or not, most people will think you're a douche after graduation when you approach them with the same rampant smugness ITT.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby A'nold » Wed May 25, 2011 2:43 pm

From what I've seen, Verity seems like a good guy/girl. However, I will say that it is true that you can always spot a 0L when the discussion becomes about the law. There is just no way a person can be able to "talk law" w/ a law student and be on the same level. It's not a superiority thing, but once you get to law school and get through the first semester, you'll begin to understand why this is so.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby AreJay711 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Verity wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Yeah, no regrets but you should be ashamed of yourself.



This, along with other reasons, is why most people think lawyers are scumbags. They cultivate a frame of mind and an attitude in law school that, while largely appropriate in the legal world, alienates others in real life. Like it or not, most people will think you're a douche after graduation when you approach them with the same rampant smugness ITT.


Oh god, I'm just joshing. You, good sir or madam, need to lighten up and stop taking yourself and random exchanges on the internet so seriously.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby fatduck » Wed May 25, 2011 2:47 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Verity wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Yeah, no regrets but you should be ashamed of yourself.



This, along with other reasons, is why most people think lawyers are scumbags. They cultivate a frame of mind and an attitude in law school that, while largely appropriate in the legal world, alienates others in real life. Like it or not, most people will think you're a douche after graduation when you approach them with the same rampant smugness ITT.


Oh god, I'm just joshing. You, good sir or madam, need to lighten up and stop taking yourself and random exchanges on the internet so seriously.

indubitably

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Man, it is so jejune to argue over this.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Verity wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Yeah, no regrets but you should be ashamed of yourself.



This, along with other reasons, is why most people think lawyers are scumbags. They cultivate a frame of mind and an attitude in law school that, while largely appropriate in the legal world, alienates others in real life. Like it or not, most people will think you're a douche after graduation when you approach them with the same rampant smugness ITT.


"Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man girl."

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby fatduck » Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Man, you guys are so jejune to argue over this.

i think you used that improprietarily

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Man, you guys are so jejune to argue over this.

i think you used that improprietarily


You can't "own" a word. What a jejune argument.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby fatduck » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Man, you guys are so jejune to argue over this.

i think you used that improprietarily


You can't "own" a word. What a jejune argument.

reported for abusing anonymous feature to post anti-semitic garbage

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm

This is a reminder that the Anonymous Feature is only to be used "when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc."
STOP ABUSING THE FEATURE.
I will out any further anon posts that do not comply with the rules.
Thank you, carry on.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby fatduck » Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm

well don't i look like a narc, now




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.