Law as a noble profession

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

fatduck wrote:well don't i look like a narc, now

For the record, I submitted that post before Duck had posted his - believe me, others had reported this thread before you did, Duck.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby fatduck » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 pm

but i didn't report it! oh god, i'll never be able to buy weed around here again.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby firemed » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 pm

This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even that entertaining.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 25, 2011 3:23 pm

fatduck wrote:but i didn't report it! oh god, i'll never be able to buy weed around here again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, everyone! DUCK DID NOT REPORT THIS THREAD.
(But see, that's how it always goes, isn't it? It's the poor schmuck standing there saying, "I'm GONNA tell" who gets bagged for telling... even when he didn't.)
Now please. I have work to do. Go back to arguing, only use your real usernames.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 25, 2011 3:23 pm

firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even that entertaining.

:lol:
+1

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby A'nold » Wed May 25, 2011 3:35 pm

firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even that entertaining.

What a jejune comment.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Wed May 25, 2011 3:49 pm

firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even thatentertaining.


FTFY

JEJUNATION!

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby A'nold » Wed May 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Rooney wrote:
firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even thatentertaining.


FTFY

JEJUNATION!

You are now TLS's official Jejuninator.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 pm

A'nold wrote:
Rooney wrote:
firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even thatentertaining.


FTFY

JEJUNATION!

You are now TLS's official Jejuninator.


--ImageRemoved--

Image

You're welcome.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby A'nold » Wed May 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Rooney wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Rooney wrote:
firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even thatentertaining.


FTFY

JEJUNATION!

You are now TLS's official Jejuninator.


--ImageRemoved--

Image

You're welcome.

Auto-rise to top 10 favorite TLS posters.

Newberry642
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Newberry642 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

I still strongly disagree that pro bono work is for large law firms what many in this thread claim it to be. Realize that many of the partners at large law firms are smart enough and hard working enough that they could have gone into investment banking or several other fields if they had just wanted to make a lot of money. However, they chose to go into law. Why? Because law is different, and because they’re different too.

Several years ago my firm represented a woman who had been brutally raped and abused by a prison guard. Everyone initially thought that she was making the whole thing up, and no one else would touch the case with a ten-foot pole. My client had no one in the world to turn to and no money to pay for representation. However, one of the partners that I worked for at the time found out about the matter, and asked me if I would like to work on it. Over the course of the following 12 months, the partner, another associate, and I spent hundreds of hours working on the matter. These hours all could have been billed out to corporate clients at several hundred dollars a pop, but we focused on the inmate’s case because we felt that it was our calling as lawyers to do so. I can also say that I slept less during that inmate’s trial than during a trial in which I was involved helping defend a fortune 500 company. In the end, it was found that the guard had not only been raping and abusing our client but also almost half a dozen other inmates at the prison as well. That guard is now behind bars.

Maybe things are different now. You see a lot more students today who went to law school simply as a way of escaping a lukewarm economy. Based on my experience working with several recent summer associates, you also see some law students who are obsessed with simply making money above all else now. Regardless of what people in this thread say though, I believe that law is inherently a noble profession. I believe that the naysayers tend to leave the profession shortly after joining. And I believe that the incoming batch of attorneys has the ability to shape this profession for the better. To those of you with higher goals and objectives, I look forward to having you join this profession and hope that I will have the pleasure of working with you one day. Who knows, maybe one of you is even starting at my firm this summer.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Rooney wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Rooney wrote:
firemed wrote:This thread is so full of fail. It wasn't even thatentertaining.


FTFY

JEJUNATION!

You are now TLS's official Jejuninator.


--ImageRemoved--

Image

You're welcome.

I so seriously want Jujubees, now. Or would that be, "Jejujubees." Dammit.

DAJ_Summer
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby DAJ_Summer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 pm

I haven't really spent time on this website since I took the LSAT. Even skimming this thread, I'm wondering why exactly I thought I missed it...

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu May 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow, jejune is Bill O'Reilly's word of the day today :shock:

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby quakeroats » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Wow, jejune is Bill O'Reilly's word of the day today :shock:


Someone here watches Bill O'Reilly? :shock:

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby fatduck » Fri May 27, 2011 12:05 pm

quakeroats wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Wow, jejune is Bill O'Reilly's word of the day today :shock:


Someone here watches Bill O'Reilly? :shock:

Bill O'Reilly has a word of the day?

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 pm

A'nold wrote:Auto-rise to top 10 favorite TLS posters.


Image

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

fatduck wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Wow, jejune is Bill O'Reilly's word of the day today :shock:


Someone here watches Bill O'Reilly? :shock:

Bill O'Reilly has a word of the day?


"Pinhead"

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri May 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Rooney wrote:
fatduck wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Wow, jejune is Bill O'Reilly's word of the day today :shock:


Someone here watches Bill O'Reilly? :shock:

Bill O'Reilly has a word of the day?


"Pinhead"

"Patriot"

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby quakeroats » Fri May 27, 2011 3:04 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Rooney wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Wow, jejune is Bill O'Reilly's word of the day today :shock:


Someone here watches Bill O'Reilly? :shock:

Bill O'Reilly has a word of the day?
"Pinhead"

"Patriot"


Fucking thing sucks!

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Fri May 27, 2011 3:14 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Fucking thing sucks!


Haha!!!! "We'll do it again!"

Commonwealthman
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Commonwealthman » Sat May 28, 2011 1:59 am

OP has some strange (weirdly stilted?) language, possibly odd flame, but:

Retiarius wrote:But I have trouble believing that when I'm arguing for the exact opposite as an opponent, we can both be fighting for justice and a noble cause.


The idea of due process - that everyone is entitled to certain procedural and substantive rights and protections - is noble in itself. By representing clients even when they may not be "right" (e.g., public defender represents guilty criminal), a lawyer advances fundamental concepts of justice that go beyond the case-specific particular questions of which party is right or wrong.

DAJ_Summer wrote:But there is absolutely nothing innately noble about it. It is a system for resolving disputes, nothing more, and nothing less.


Just because a system may be mechanical does not mean it is not noble. It is eminently reasonable to believe that having, and participating in, a dispute resolution system that strives at fairness and order is itself noble, because it advances principles of equity and fundamental concepts of justice.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Tue May 31, 2011 10:53 am

Commonwealthman wrote:OP has some strange (weirdly stilted?) language, possibly odd flame, but:

Retiarius wrote:But I have trouble believing that when I'm arguing for the exact opposite as an opponent, we can both be fighting for justice and a noble cause.


The idea of due process - that everyone is entitled to certain procedural and substantive rights and protections - is noble in itself. By representing clients even when they may not be "right" (e.g., public defender represents guilty criminal), a lawyer advances fundamental concepts of justice that go beyond the case-specific particular questions of which party is right or wrong.

DAJ_Summer wrote:But there is absolutely nothing innately noble about it. It is a system for resolving disputes, nothing more, and nothing less.


Just because a system may be mechanical does not mean it is not noble. It is eminently reasonable to believe that having, and participating in, a dispute resolution system that strives at fairness and order is itself noble, because it advances principles of equity and fundamental concepts of justice.


You said it perfectly

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 31, 2011 10:57 am

Rooney wrote:
A'nold wrote:Auto-rise to top 10 favorite TLS posters.


Image


Guy was the lone bright spot for Man U in the UEFA championship game, dude. Messi and Villa. :shock:

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Law as a noble profession

Postby Rooney » Tue May 31, 2011 11:08 am

bjsesq wrote:
Rooney wrote:
A'nold wrote:Auto-rise to top 10 favorite TLS posters.


Image


Guy was the lone bright spot for Man U in the UEFA championship game, dude. Messi and Villa. :shock:


Oh man, that game. It just sucks we had to play against one of the top 3 teams in the history of the game. Still, our fans were gracious in defeat and realized the amazing team they got to watch. But yeah, we should have packed the midfield with an extra player, went with Rooney up top alone and played how we did in 2008 when we beat them 1-0 in the semifinals.

Barca is amazing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.