SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DoubleChecks

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 23, 2011 8:52 pm

any insight from any former SAs about how id fare doing transactional work w/ zero business or transactional background/experience?

yes, shameful post bump from earlier page

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 23, 2011 8:57 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:any insight from any former SAs about how id fare doing transactional work w/ zero business or transactional background/experience?

It won't be a big deal. Don't hesitate to ask questions and you'll be fine. 99% of law students don't know anything about business, and yet somehow there are still plenty of corporate lawyers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2011 9:25 pm

jkay wrote:Got thrown a ridiculously substantive letter to write for an attorney to another attorney. Ridiculous. Gave me until Wednesday.

Did I mention it's about two subjects I know nothing about?

Same. Someone told me the first day would be easy? Sigh.

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Renzo wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:any insight from any former SAs about how id fare doing transactional work w/ zero business or transactional background/experience?

It won't be a big deal. Don't hesitate to ask questions and you'll be fine. 99% of law students don't know anything about business, and yet somehow there are still plenty of corporate lawyers.

I suspect that there are a fair number of corporate lawyers who are horrendously bad at their jobs.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm

haus wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I suspect that there are a fair number of corporate lawyers who are horrendously bad at their jobs.

I suspect you're dead wrong, considering the attrition rates in biglaw.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Mon May 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Summer associate missed connection. To the summer I saw wandering the halls looking for the right conference room: I totally could have pointed you in the right direction, but watching you have a mini-freak out was so worth it. Let's do it again tomorrow.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon May 23, 2011 9:33 pm

PKSebben wrote:Summer associate missed connection. To the summer I saw wandering the halls looking for the right conference room: I totally could have pointed you in the right direction, but watching you have a mini-freak out was so worth it. Let's do it again tomorrow.

Awsome.

forza

Postby forza » Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 pm

PKSebben wrote:Summer associate missed connection. To the summer I saw wandering the halls looking for the right conference room: I totally could have pointed you in the right direction, but watching you have a mini-freak out was so worth it. Let's do it again tomorrow.

Hahaha :lol:

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 pm

dougroberts wrote:To all who started today,

What did you wear, and did it look out-of-place?

What did you do on your first day? Any real work, or training only? Did you like it, worried, etc.?

How's the competition?

Everyone was in a suit. Men - full suits and ties. Women - mix of pant and skirt suits.

Training + real assignments. Several projects already on my plate!!! Absolutely loving my choice in firms. :D

zanda

Postby zanda » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

f7 wrote:The partners mocked us repeatedly for wearing suits.

being the one kid not being mocked would have been worse

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

f7 wrote:The partners mocked us repeatedly for wearing suits.

I got mocked for showing up for an interview in a suit at my firm. And then for showing up in business casual that was a little too formal.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon May 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:We're business formal until after Memorial Day, so I didn't have to deal with the whole suit/no-suit thing.

No assignments yet because we went through the training process - sexual harassment, insider trading, HR, login information. Tomorrow we're going to spend 3 hours learning how to use our firm's system (great). Assignments should start tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday.

Ditto, except for the "until after Memorial Day" thing. We're business formal every day.

Wonder if your Sexual Harassment & Insider Training videos were the same quality productions ours were! :shock:

dood

Postby dood » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Everyone but 2 people suited up at my firm. They stuck out. The first day was a lot of meeting with the high ups in the firm so I'm glad I went for the suit.

ditto

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 pm

First day was awesome- was ten hours though.

Got my own office!! (unexpected). Got a secretary- she's the nicest and smartest person ever too.

I also got two mentors; one partner, one associate. The associate is a seventh year and the partner is cool too. I am worried about the actual work though- I really have no idea where to begin.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 pm

swc65 wrote:First day was awesome- was ten hours though.

Got my own office!! (unexpected). Got a secretary- she's the nicest and smartest person ever too.

I also got two mentors; one partner, one associate. The associate is a seventh year and the partner is cool too. I am worried about the actual work though- I really have no idea where to begin.

The one reason I'm glad I'm law clerking instead of being an SA. 9-5. No matter what.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Mon May 23, 2011 11:01 pm

PKSebben wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
swc65 wrote:First day was awesome- was ten hours though.

The one reason I'm glad I'm law clerking instead of being an SA. 9-5. No matter what.

Cool. while your classmates are getting paid 6666 every two weeks, you make?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon May 23, 2011 11:04 pm

My firm has a full week of orientation...

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Rotor wrote:
Wonder if your Sexual Harassment & Insider Training videos were the same quality productions ours were! :shock:

Haha, although they are very serious matters the videos themselves were pretty hilarious. Horrible production/background music.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 am

rundoxierun wrote:My firm has a full week of orientation...

+1. I feel like it's going to be an excruciating week. Day one wasn't bad, but it'd also be nice to get assignments and start pretending I'm important enough to earn my ridiculous paycheck.

Also, am I alone in feeling a bit awkward as a 1L in a summer class where nearly everyone else is a 2L? (Not that I've told anyone I'm a 1L, but still)

Off to day 2. Best of luck to everyone else. And to everyone who starts in the upcoming few weeks, wear a suit the first day.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am

Currently siting in on computer training via conference call. This is going to last for a few hours...fun.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

I don't start until May 31 (late start, but still like 10 weeks)...also struggling with the biz cas v. biz on the first day. Recruiting sent a letter saying something to the effect of "feel free" to wear biz cas on the first day. Seems like everybody agrees biz is TCR, regardless of whether recruiting provides a pseudo-passive suggestion.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:I don't start until May 31 (late start, but still like 10 weeks)...also struggling with the biz cas v. biz on the first day. Recruiting sent a letter saying something to the effect of "feel free" to wear biz cas on the first day. Seems like everybody agrees biz is TCR, regardless of whether recruiting provides a pseudo-passive suggestion.

As another poster aptly put. Wear biz. If everyone else is in biz cas- take off the jacket and then so are you. It's like a haircut, you can always go shorter but if you start out too short it's all over.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 pm

swc65 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:I don't start until May 31 (late start, but still like 10 weeks)...also struggling with the biz cas v. biz on the first day. Recruiting sent a letter saying something to the effect of "feel free" to wear biz cas on the first day. Seems like everybody agrees biz is TCR, regardless of whether recruiting provides a pseudo-passive suggestion.

As another poster aptly put. Wear biz. If everyone else is in biz cas- take off the jacket and then so are you. It's like a haircut, you can always go shorter but if you start out too short it's all over.

tyty. I'd already decided on biz: I just wanted to vent.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Haha, although they are very serious matters the videos themselves were pretty hilarious. Horrible production/background music.

This is funny, because I didn't get any insider trading or sexual harassment training. Instead we got "always be billing your time" training. Maybe it says something about the firm...

haus

Postby haus » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Renzo wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Rotor wrote:

This is funny, because I didn't get any insider trading or sexual harassment training. Instead we got "always be billing your time" training. Maybe it says something about the firm...

Perhaps they feel that you already know how to trade illegally and sexually harass people.

Return to “Legal Employment”