SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby PKSebben » Sun May 22, 2011 11:17 pm

Renzo wrote:
dougroberts wrote:What if your firm allows golf shirts for biz casual? Suit necessary on first day still?
(in a mid-size market, market paying firm).

I suppose I want to look good, but also don't want to look like an overdressed fool if the other SA's don't have suits (and there are only 3 other SA's at the firm with me).


1) Just wear a suit. If it's too much you can take the jacket off and put it on the back of your chair.

2) Not directed at you, but golf shirts are not business casual. That's like "wear pajamas to work" for a dress code


yeah. I agree with this. Carry jacket in draped over your arm. Take off tie if NOBODY is wearing one. POOF.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun May 22, 2011 11:20 pm

You should wear a suit the first day anyway. You'll probably be taking photos and stuff for your card/firm facebook and don't want to look unimpressive.

I've been at it for a week too. The first couple days are uber stressful, and sometimes its scary if you know nothing about the area of law you are doing an assignment for, but the associates/partners are quite good about explaining things concisely and in an easy to understand way. Just don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure you get the billing number, the deadline, and the format they want the assignment in (memo, email, oral or written summary, etc)

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:You should wear a suit the first day anyway. You'll probably be taking photos and stuff for your card/firm facebook and don't want to look unimpressive.

I've been at it for a week too. The first couple days are uber stressful, and sometimes its scary if you know nothing about the area of law you are doing an assignment for, but the associates/partners are quite good about explaining things concisely and in an easy to understand way. Just don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure you get the billing number, the deadline, and the format they want the assignment in (memo, email, oral or written summary, etc)


This is going to sound incredibly ignorant, but we are going to be billing hours as SAs? I was under the impression that we didn't actually bill yet, since some clients don't want summers working on their matters.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby 98234872348 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 pm

y.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun May 22, 2011 11:27 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:You should wear a suit the first day anyway. You'll probably be taking photos and stuff for your card/firm facebook and don't want to look unimpressive.

I've been at it for a week too. The first couple days are uber stressful, and sometimes its scary if you know nothing about the area of law you are doing an assignment for, but the associates/partners are quite good about explaining things concisely and in an easy to understand way. Just don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure you get the billing number, the deadline, and the format they want the assignment in (memo, email, oral or written summary, etc)


This is going to sound incredibly ignorant, but we are going to be billing hours as SAs? I was under the impression that we didn't actually bill yet, since some clients don't want summers working on their matters.


This may differ at different firms. Some may bill their SAs out, some may not. Many will probably give out a decent amount of non-billable work, too.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

We all need to check in tomorrow and give updates. I need to get to sleep....eventually. But I'm terrified I will sleep through both of my alarms. :D

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Rotor » Sun May 22, 2011 11:49 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Oy vey. This is absolutely making me more nervous lol.


Well, you only have the OP to blame for starting the thread. :lol:

Good luck IG (and everyone else starting tomorrow)!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun May 22, 2011 11:49 pm

ugh im curious now too -- is it wise to choose to do your SA in an area that you have absolutely zero knowledge in? i was hoping to work in transactional stuff, but i have taken zero transactional courses (on account of me being a 1L)...will i be pwned? lol i know they say a business background is not necessary to work in corporate/transactional dept...but is it wise for a backgroundless SA to do so?

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Just ironed my shirt/tie and laid out my suit. Feeling like $100...kind of. Still need to polish my shoes, though.

transferguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby transferguy » Mon May 23, 2011 3:44 am

patrickd139 wrote:Worked till at least 8 every night this week, now doing research on a Sunday afternoon for a motion I'm writing.

Taking questions, insults, etc. ...


I suggest not doing what this guy is doing. There's absolutely no reason to be staying until 8 every night, especially *NOT* during the first week when 3/4 of the stuff entailed in the first week is hardly substantive. I stayed past 730 at the office doing work maybe 2-3 times my entire summer. You really don't want to be pegged as "that guy" and this is a surefire way to get yourself that title.

As far as what to wear the first day, everyone at my firm suited up and I think that's the best way to go.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
markymark wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I start in the morning but can't find my SS card...I also left my birth certificate back in NYC, so providing them with originals will take a while. They sent us a schedule of events we're having the first week, looks like it'll be fun.



Can't you just bring in your passport?

Never been outside the US.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. We sent in our paperwork/copies of our documentation a few weeks ago. I guess they just need originals for verification. I'm requesting my SS card tomorrow, and if they need it quicker I'll head to the courthouse and get another copy of by birth certificate. Long form, of course.



Dude you may be SOL. I'm pretty sure federal law requires the person signing your I9 form to see the original docs within 3 or 4 days of your start date. If you don't have your passport, BC, or SS, you may not be able to start work. I had this happen to me last summer. I was about 2 weeks away from starting when I found out. I got expedited service on all three forms and just hoped one would show up in time. My passport arrived the day before.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby dood » Mon May 23, 2011 7:34 am

f7 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:We all need to check in tomorrow and give updates. I need to get to sleep....eventually. But I'm terrified I will sleep through both of my alarms. :D

I have two alarms and a friend who promised to call :lol: .


http://wakerupper.com/

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks, Rotor! And good luck to everyone as well.

Yes, getting up this early sucks. So does not being able to wear flip flops and capris every day. But I am loving my shoe splurge - a pair of black Manolo kitten heels. Super comfy (somehow) and they make me feel like a rockstar.

Also....I'm here like an hour early chilling at Starbucks. From where my family lives, it can either be a 45 min drive or a 2 hr drive into the city. Better to be safe than sorry on day 1!

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:52 am

By the way....this Starbucks has no restroom because "people destroyed it and it cost too much money to constantly fix." Ohh New York, how I've missed you.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 23, 2011 8:07 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dude you may be SOL. I'm pretty sure federal law requires the person signing your I9 form to see the original docs within 3 or 4 days of your start date. If you don't have your passport, BC, or SS, you may not be able to start work. I had this happen to me last summer. I was about 2 weeks away from starting when I found out. I got expedited service on all three forms and just hoped one would show up in time. My passport arrived the day before.

On my way to pick up my birth certificate from the County Clerk. Opens at 8, I'll be there at 8 and work starts at 9 about 15 minutes from the Clerk's office. Thank goodness.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 23, 2011 8:15 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dude you may be SOL. I'm pretty sure federal law requires the person signing your I9 form to see the original docs within 3 or 4 days of your start date. If you don't have your passport, BC, or SS, you may not be able to start work. I had this happen to me last summer. I was about 2 weeks away from starting when I found out. I got expedited service on all three forms and just hoped one would show up in time. My passport arrived the day before.

On my way to pick up my birth certificate from the County Clerk. Opens at 8, I'll be there at 8 and work starts at 9 about 15 minutes from the Clerk's office. Thank goodness.


I love it when a plan comes together! Good luck.....I'm crossing my fingers there's no line or wait. :D

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dude you may be SOL. I'm pretty sure federal law requires the person signing your I9 form to see the original docs within 3 or 4 days of your start date. If you don't have your passport, BC, or SS, you may not be able to start work. I had this happen to me last summer. I was about 2 weeks away from starting when I found out. I got expedited service on all three forms and just hoped one would show up in time. My passport arrived the day before.

On my way to pick up my birth certificate from the County Clerk. Opens at 8, I'll be there at 8 and work starts at 9 about 15 minutes from the Clerk's office. Thank goodness.


oh youre SA-ing in the same place that issued your BC? That's lucky. Good luck!

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby jkay » Mon May 23, 2011 9:09 am

Going against the grain and NOT wearing a suit today. I have spent enough time in the office (they wanted me to come in for two half days of computer systems training) that I know I would be "that guy" in a suit. Not even the senior named partner who is like 150 wears a suit...

/justification

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dude you may be SOL. I'm pretty sure federal law requires the person signing your I9 form to see the original docs within 3 or 4 days of your start date. If you don't have your passport, BC, or SS, you may not be able to start work. I had this happen to me last summer. I was about 2 weeks away from starting when I found out. I got expedited service on all three forms and just hoped one would show up in time. My passport arrived the day before.

On my way to pick up my birth certificate from the County Clerk. Opens at 8, I'll be there at 8 and work starts at 9 about 15 minutes from the Clerk's office. Thank goodness.


I love it when a plan comes together! Good luck.....I'm crossing my fingers there's no line or wait. :D

There was absolutely no line. All-in-all it took about 10 minutes (including entering and leaving the building). I ended up awkwardly driving around town trying to kill time. I feel really awkward right now because the firm I'm working with gave each SA their own office (which I am sitting in right now) and a secretary. What am I supposed to do with that? I also have a nice view of the city (though not a downtown view) from my huge window. I could get used to this...

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby dougroberts » Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm

To all who started today,

What did you wear, and did it look out-of-place?

What did you do on your first day? Any real work, or training only? Did you like it, worried, etc.?

How's the competition?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273376
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2011 6:45 pm

transferguy wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Worked till at least 8 every night this week, now doing research on a Sunday afternoon for a motion I'm writing.

Taking questions, insults, etc. ...


I suggest not doing what this guy is doing. There's absolutely no reason to be staying until 8 every night, especially *NOT* during the first week when 3/4 of the stuff entailed in the first week is hardly substantive. I stayed past 730 at the office doing work maybe 2-3 times my entire summer. You really don't want to be pegged as "that guy" and this is a surefire way to get yourself that title.

As far as what to wear the first day, everyone at my firm suited up and I think that's the best way to go.

Literally literally everyone at my business casual firm suited up.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Everyone but 2 people suited up at my firm. They stuck out. The first day was a lot of meeting with the high ups in the firm so I'm glad I went for the suit.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby jkay » Mon May 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Got thrown a ridiculously substantive letter to write for an attorney to another attorney. Ridiculous. Gave me until Wednesday.

Did I mention it's about two subjects I know nothing about?

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 pm

jkay wrote:Got thrown a ridiculously substantive letter to write for an attorney to another attorney. Ridiculous. Gave me until Wednesday.

Did I mention it's about two subjects I know nothing about?


Could be worse. I have to write a memo on a subject that apparently neither the state supreme court nor any other court has EVER discussed.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 pm

We're business formal until after Memorial Day, so I didn't have to deal with the whole suit/no-suit thing.

No assignments yet because we went through the training process - sexual harassment, insider trading, HR, login information. Tomorrow we're going to spend 3 hours learning how to use our firm's system (great). Assignments should start tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.