SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 am

Stanford4Me wrote:We have a really calm class overall, and the partners/associates do a great job of keeping us calm. It's great that I can come into work and just enjoy working without stressing about whether a partner is going to call me and rip me a new one because I sucked at an assignment (that's not to say I won't get told my assignment sucked), but they've emphasized many times that they're looking to give 100% offers and we have to do some pretty stupid things to get no-offered.

Or maybe I'm just drinking the kool aid. Either way, being calm results in me creating a better work product.


i think this can be/is true. there are some firms that definitely are 'looking to give' 100% offers and have done almost just that last year -- with no reason to change now. a lot of places are expanding their SA class sizes again in TX (where i know you're at S4M lol), but not exploding it out to the gigantic sizes they once were...presumably to keep offer rates 90%+.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:54 am

After this week is over, only three more weeks of work....then it's off to MPRE land.....then flying home to my hubby!!! I am so excited to be going home. It's lonely 3,000 miles apart.

Happy Fourth, everyone!!!

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2779
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby forza » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Are there really only 4 weeks left? Dang.

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:11 pm

forza wrote:Are there really only 4 weeks left? Dang.


Six more for me.....I'm definitely looking forward to the whole one week break between work and school :roll:

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby BunkMoreland » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm

five weeks left here. 12 week program = $$$

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm

What I hate about this is that I can do weeks of good work and in one instant I do something stupid that makes me feel like I've learned nothing. Not a big deal, but if I wasn't working with fairly nice people, it could have been. There's nothing like seeing an outgoing email and going from "Ahh, I'm glad that's done," to, "FUUUUUUUUU--" in the space of four or five seconds.

I've certainly become much more careful since this all began.

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:02 am

Weeks of silence from on high, and today a very positive review. What joy to know I'm not a complete fuck-up. :mrgreen:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Question seeking the wisdom of the crowds:

I have four weeks left as an SA, and then I'm going off to pursue a PhD, a move the firm does not yet know about. I heard of people in the old economy working multiple summers as an SA while getting a PhD. I don't expect that to happen anymore ITE, but I'm not looking to burn any bridges either.

So what's the best timing/method for disclosing my plans to the firm? I'm thinking I might as well let them know before they waste time deliberating about extending an offer--maybe treat this like a two weeks' notice before a resignation. Thoughts? Should I meet in person with HR/partners on the hiring committee? Send a nice just-so-ya-know e-mail?

Thanks.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Rotor » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question seeking the wisdom of the crowds:

I have four weeks left as an SA, and then I'm going off to pursue a PhD, a move the firm does not yet know about. I heard of people in the old economy working multiple summers as an SA while getting a PhD. I don't expect that to happen anymore ITE, but I'm not looking to burn any bridges either.

So what's the best timing/method for disclosing my plans to the firm? I'm thinking I might as well let them know before they waste time deliberating about extending an offer--maybe treat this like a two weeks' notice before a resignation. Thoughts? Should I meet in person with HR/partners on the hiring committee? Send a nice just-so-ya-know e-mail?

Thanks.

This may depend a bit on the dynamic at your firm/office. I know here just sitting down with the hiring partner for a few minutes would be the proper way to go about it.

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Rotor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question seeking the wisdom of the crowds:

I have four weeks left as an SA, and then I'm going off to pursue a PhD, a move the firm does not yet know about. I heard of people in the old economy working multiple summers as an SA while getting a PhD. I don't expect that to happen anymore ITE, but I'm not looking to burn any bridges either.

So what's the best timing/method for disclosing my plans to the firm? I'm thinking I might as well let them know before they waste time deliberating about extending an offer--maybe treat this like a two weeks' notice before a resignation. Thoughts? Should I meet in person with HR/partners on the hiring committee? Send a nice just-so-ya-know e-mail?

Thanks.

This may depend a bit on the dynamic at your firm/office. I know here just sitting down with the hiring partner for a few minutes would be the proper way to go about it.


Definitely this. An email is not the way to do it. Talk first, send a pro forma email after if they ask you to. Just be friendly and direct and as long as you're not disparaging the firm I don't see why they'd be mad, just . You might want to talk to any senior associates or partners you've worked closely with as well, before going to the hiring committee.

Also, good for you for realizing it wasn't your thing and wanting to be courteous.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby weee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:54 am

8 more days... I feel like I just joined this thread not long ago.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 am

weee wrote:8 more days... I feel like I just joined this thread not long ago.


I know!!!! So so crazy. This really flew by. Although at the same time, it feels like it's been forever since I've been home with my hubby and my dog. Distance sucks.

Anyone taking the MPRE in NY on Aug 5??? If so, I'll see you there. :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Tricky situation, would appreciate advice -- 1L sa'ing at a regional firm (non-market salary) that doesn't have intentions of asking 1L's back next summer (and makes no promises to 2L's of offers at the end of summer). This program goes until the middle of August, which is not ideal for 2L on campus interviewing purposes, and as it turns out some of the optional interviewing programming (which I feel like I need to do) occurs on days I need to be working. I brought it up (with a vague explanation, since it's not the all-out lottery interviewing program), but I'm sensing some resistance and will need to discuss it again and more in depth. I spoke to my career services office when planning it all and they had said "it'll be fine!!" How should I handle this?

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby BunkMoreland » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 pm

OCI is vastly more important than working on those days. Obviously you do not want to burn the bridge with your 1L employer, but if it is a dead end, you have to put your career first.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tricky situation, would appreciate advice -- 1L sa'ing at a regional firm (non-market salary) that doesn't have intentions of asking 1L's back next summer (and makes no promises to 2L's of offers at the end of summer). This program goes until the middle of August, which is not ideal for 2L on campus interviewing purposes, and as it turns out some of the optional interviewing programming (which I feel like I need to do) occurs on days I need to be working. I brought it up (with a vague explanation, since it's not the all-out lottery interviewing program), but I'm sensing some resistance and will need to discuss it again and more in depth. I spoke to my career services office when planning it all and they had said "it'll be fine!!" How should I handle this?


You have already made a huge mistake by accepting employment during time that overlapped with any potential 2L OCI stuff. That's on you. Still, you have to look out for number one, so do whatever it takes to make interviews for jobs that might actually lead to offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:07 pm

So far into the summer, I've had a constant stream of work coming in. Today is the first day that I only have one project to work on, and I estimate that I'll be finished with it by tomorrow.

Should I go around and solicit for more work? Or should I sit tight and wait until something comes in? How have you guys handled this situation? I gave off hints to some attorneys that I'm free. I also mentioned to another attorney that I would like to work on something from his practice group.

It's a smaller office, so we don't have any type of database where you can choose projects. We solely rely on the attorney's bringing us work..

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby wiseowl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tricky situation, would appreciate advice -- 1L sa'ing at a regional firm (non-market salary) that doesn't have intentions of asking 1L's back next summer (and makes no promises to 2L's of offers at the end of summer). This program goes until the middle of August, which is not ideal for 2L on campus interviewing purposes, and as it turns out some of the optional interviewing programming (which I feel like I need to do) occurs on days I need to be working. I brought it up (with a vague explanation, since it's not the all-out lottery interviewing program), but I'm sensing some resistance and will need to discuss it again and more in depth. I spoke to my career services office when planning it all and they had said "it'll be fine!!" How should I handle this?


A lot of weasel words here. What is "optional interviewing programming"? If it's an interview, then skip work, no question. If it's fluff from OCS "teaching you how to interview" then I'd skip the programming and go to work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Tricky situation, would appreciate advice -- 1L sa'ing at a regional firm (non-market salary) that doesn't have intentions of asking 1L's back next summer (and makes no promises to 2L's of offers at the end of summer). This program goes until the middle of August, which is not ideal for 2L on campus interviewing purposes, and as it turns out some of the optional interviewing programming (which I feel like I need to do) occurs on days I need to be working. I brought it up (with a vague explanation, since it's not the all-out lottery interviewing program), but I'm sensing some resistance and will need to discuss it again and more in depth. I spoke to my career services office when planning it all and they had said "it'll be fine!!" How should I handle this?


A lot of weasel words here. What is "optional interviewing programming"? If it's an interview, then skip work, no question. If it's fluff from OCS "teaching you how to interview" then I'd skip the programming and go to work.


Yeah, sorry for being vague, but I didn't want to out myself by giving too many details about my school's interviewing programming. They're essentially screening interviews for non-NYC firms (optional because you'd only do them if you want to work in the markets where they are offered). Thanks for the advice, everyone - it was just resolved here with a positive outcome so I am not going to worry about it anymore.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 am

100% offer rate at a V50. Just happened this week.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 am

Last day is today. Bittersweet.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Last day is today. Bittersweet.


Same. Bummed. But happy 'bout 'dat offer! :wink:

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Rotor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:03 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:Last day is today. Bittersweet.


Same. Bummed. But happy 'bout 'dat offer! :wink:

Same here. Except for the offer. ETA 3 weeks for calls to go out.

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby dougroberts » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:23 am

Rotor wrote:Same here. Except for the offer. ETA 3 weeks for calls to go out.


ETA in DECEMBER! for offers here. Even more restless nights...

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Ugh, sorry, doods. I'm rootin' for ya!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Got my offer on the last day of my summer program, and it's an elating feeling. I actually decided I wanted a job like this after coming across TLS in '08 and have been working towards this ever since, it's almost surreal that it's happened.

I think it's awful firms make people wait weeks, much less months, after the program for offers. Good luck everyone still waiting!

Is anybody planning to shop up, or are people with offers mostly content and planning to return?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.