SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Big Shrimpin

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else kind of hate being a SA? I am constantly on edge and stressing out about disappointing people with my work product... I cannot wait to be back in school without this constant sick feeling of being evaluated and coming up short.

Interesting flame. If serious, you should probably quit now. If you're feeling stressed as an SA, you're going to become clinical if/when you start full-time.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else kind of hate being a SA? I am constantly on edge and stressing out about disappointing people with my work product... I cannot wait to be back in school without this constant sick feeling of being evaluated and coming up short.

Interesting flame. If serious, you should probably quit now. If you're feeling stressed as an SA, you're going to become clinical if/when you start full-time.

0L here but my friend who's SAing at a v20 says the same thing. I think once he has an offer, he won't sweat it.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:

What the fuck is with the incessant calling of flame? Have you ever met a law student? Is it really so impossible that such a neurotic group after the economic Armageddon will have some people stressing like this?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 am

No, you have problems. That's my opinion.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:08 am

thesealocust wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

What the fuck is with the incessant calling of flame?

yikes. sry broski - didnt know "flame" was currently overused tls-parlance. since im at work billing like a BOSS all day/night, i dont have time to megapoast on tls like i used to.

thesealocust wrote:Have you ever met a law student? Is it really so impossible that such a neurotic group after the economic Armageddon will have some people stressing like this?

groundbreaking insight, brother. you're preaching to the choir.

tbf, that poaster is why the attrition rate for junior assoc's is so high.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:26 am

yikes. sry broski - didnt know "flame" was currently overused tls-parlance. since im at work billing like a BOSS all day/night, i dont have time to megapoast on tls like i used to.

You'll have to excuse thesealocust for now. He's taking himself very seriously these days. SILENCE!

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 am

I don't think it's unreasonable for an SA to feel stress especially in this economic climate. But to be fair, the constant evaluation isn't going to end once you get an offer.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm

I can only imagine the stress residents have when they have someone's life in their hands. It's all about relativity for me. 8)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Im a big fan of the firm Im working for. The work is work (with some pretty interesting assignments thrown in), but the people and the QOL is awesome. Not a biglaw firm, but one of the largest in the market. Unfortunately starting pay makes me :cry:. I have been wrestling with the issue of whether QOL or $$$ is more important if I get the opportunity to work at a market paying firm my 2L year. I wish there was a firm that provided both...

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:35 pm

I feel the need to check in since I started this thread and haven't really been back in a while. Anyone have any cool events lately? I know you guys may not want to share at the risk of being outed. I'm definitely working and playing hard, which is unusual for me because I'm normally the old married woman (figuratively not literally) who doesn't hang out during law school. It's exhausting keeping up with the social events!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I feel the need to check in since I started this thread and haven't really been back in a while. Anyone have any cool events lately? I know you guys may not want to share at the risk of being outed. I'm definitely working and playing hard, which is unusual for me because I'm normally the old married woman (figuratively not literally) who doesn't hang out during law school. It's exhausting keeping up with the social events!

Don't you mean literally, not figuratively, you old married woman you!?

The work hard/play hard makes me feel like I'm on deployment again, only we get liberty ashore every night! (In other words, my liver hurts . . .)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Moxie wrote:

I don't think it's unreasonable for an SA to feel stress especially in this economic climate. But to be fair, the constant evaluation isn't going to end once you get an offer.

i felt on edge the first few days too, but after you turn one or two assignments in and get to know the people, the uncharacteristically high anxiety should subside lol

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:00 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I feel the need to check in since I started this thread and haven't really been back in a while. Anyone have any cool events lately? I know you guys may not want to share at the risk of being outed. I'm definitely working and playing hard, which is unusual for me because I'm normally the old married woman (figuratively not literally) who doesn't hang out during law school. It's exhausting keeping up with the social events!

I just started last week (damn SLS' quarter system), but we spent this past weekend in the mountains, which was awesome (and pretty relaxing, even though it felt a little like I had to be "on" all the time, since partners and senior associates were there). We've got a few baseball games, concerts, poker night and a Habitat for Humanity volunteer day in the coming weeks. Honestly, it's a blast.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Lots O' Drunkening at playzez thats kidnof cool. Oh hi occifer.

:lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:15 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I feel the need to check in since I started this thread and haven't really been back in a while. Anyone have any cool events lately?

I got paid 4k after taxes for being slightly less useful than a paralegal.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Just wanted to thank all you guys for the tax advice. For the rest of the summer I will be withholding zero federal taxes :D

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I feel the need to check in since I started this thread and haven't really been back in a while. Anyone have any cool events lately?

I got paid 4k after taxes for being slightly significantly less useful than a paralegal.

FTFM.

I did LOL yesterday when I heard one other SA try to explain to a partner that "Biglaw salaries aren't adequate for a high class lifestyle." :roll: I know people have loans and high rent, but come on, the salary is the one thing you can't complain about in this job.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 am

Yeesh....I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 am

First two weeks...not that tiring. Last week...tiring. This week: ARRRGHHHH

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm

mid-summer reviews coming up...gulp...

weee

Postby weee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:52 pm

So I guess they hand out a report of your billables and how much money you made the firm. Value of work: 0

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

weee wrote:So I guess they hand out a report of your billables and how much money you made the firm. Value of work: 0

Ugh. At the end of the month, accounting tallies all the DTE time and hands bills over to the partners for markups before sending the bills to the client (e.g. red-lining probably 95% of SA work). Around that time, I'll be in my office -- hoping and praying that an angry partner doesn't barge in and demand I leave immediately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Same poster who expressed neuroses about being stressed all the time. Glad to hear that at least some of you feel the same. :D My mental health takes swings and is somewhat better today.

How open are you guys about what practice group you want to be in? I am pretty set about wanting to go into transactional, particularly corporate, but I feel like a lot of my fellow summers try to be more "oh I'm trying stuff out" when this question constantly comes up at lunch and such.

My firm's in a sort of slow secondary market and I'm a bit concerned that they're not going to want to hire anyone into their transactional areas which are tied up with financial institutions, real estate etc. And no offer me as a result, even though we're technically hired by the firm and not by a group.

Thoughts? My firm is deliberately mysterious about any groups experiencing slow downs, but I can't imagine corporate is doing excellent, especially in this market. Should I pretend to be interested in litigation work? On the one hand I really don't want to end up a litigator, but on the other, it would probably beat having no job at all...

Thinking about the double dip is starting to take over my life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Question for other summers.

At orientation, my (non-NYC) firm told all of the SAs that they will not be making any decisions on offers until after labor day. My school's 3L OCI is before that date.

So, I'm guessing that means I should plan on participating in 3L OCI no matter what, right? Anyone else who's not expecting to receive an offer until after their school's job fair? I need to put a bid list together again ... blech.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question for other summers.

At orientation, my (non-NYC) firm told all of the SAs that they will not be making any decisions on offers until after labor day. My school's 3L OCI is before that date.

So, I'm guessing that means I should plan on participating in 3L OCI no matter what, right? Anyone else who's not expecting to receive an offer until after their school's job fair? I need to put a bid list together again ... blech.

yup

Return to “Legal Employment”