SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
solotee

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby solotee » Sun May 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm actually splitting my summer. I'll be monitoring this thread until my SA begins in July.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Started last week. First day was probably the single most stressful day of my life. But it got progressively better and better. The substance of the work isn't as hard (at least yet) as learning all the ins and outs of how 'things are done' at the firm. Biglaw seems like a steep learning curve. The social events help ease things along, though (i.e., help integrate you into the firm culture), and are definitely not the things that should be causing your stress.

DeweyWins

Postby DeweyWins » Sun May 22, 2011 6:29 pm

f7 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:What are you all wearing to your first day? My firm is business casual, but at my 1L gig last year (business casual too) everyone showed up in a suit the first day but 1 person and he stuck out in a not-good way. I'm leaning towards just suiting up and seeing what happens.

Suit up.

Hm. Is this the new conventional wisdom? For our first day the firm explicitly said "dress is business casual." So I figured I'd...dress business casual. Ah well.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun May 22, 2011 6:34 pm

DeweyWins wrote:
f7 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:What are you all wearing to your first day? My firm is business casual, but at my 1L gig last year (business casual too) everyone showed up in a suit the first day but 1 person and he stuck out in a not-good way. I'm leaning towards just suiting up and seeing what happens.

Suit up.

Hm. Is this the new conventional wisdom? For our first day the firm explicitly said "dress is business casual." So I figured I'd...dress business casual. Ah well.

biz caz means no jacket no tie. Wear tie, bring jacket. if others wear jacket. put jacket on. PROBLEM SOLVED.

DeweyWins

Postby DeweyWins » Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 pm

PKSebben wrote:
DeweyWins wrote:
f7 wrote:

Suit up.

biz caz means no jacket no tie. Wear tie, bring jacket. if others wear jacket. put jacket on. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Right, I guess I'll just do that.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:49 pm

PKSebben wrote:Summers at my firm start tomorrow. I can't wait to see their anxious little faces.

This just makes me think of Mr. Burns. :)

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:50 pm

SBL's Summer 2011 Quest to Not Get No-Offered officially gets underway tomorrow. In support of my quest, I will be doing things which I do not typically do, for instance (1.) wearing pants and (2.) being at least mildly competent.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun May 22, 2011 6:53 pm

swc65 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Summers at my firm start tomorrow. I can't wait to see their anxious little faces.

This just makes me think of Mr. Burns. :)

it is against the firm's policy to unleash the hounds, but if wishing made it so

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
markymark wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I start in the morning but can't find my SS card...I also left my birth certificate back in NYC, so providing them with originals will take a while. They sent us a schedule of events we're having the first week, looks like it'll be fun.

Can't you just bring in your passport?

Never been outside the US.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. We sent in our paperwork/copies of our documentation a few weeks ago. I guess they just need originals for verification. I'm requesting my SS card tomorrow, and if they need it quicker I'll head to the courthouse and get another copy of by birth certificate. Long form, of course.

Some states use a separate department of vital records, so going to the courthouse may not work. This site can get your stuff pretty fast if you need it quickly http://www.vitalchek.com/

I think you can get a temporary soc. sec. card when you go to the office that should be good enough until you actually get you card.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Started last week. First day was probably the single most stressful day of my life. But it got progressively better and better. The substance of the work isn't as hard (at least yet) as learning all the ins and outs of how 'things are done' at the firm. Biglaw seems like a steep learning curve. The social events help ease things along, though (i.e., help integrate you into the firm culture), and are definitely not the things that should be causing your stress.

Single most stressful day of your life? You are not making me feel any better....ha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Blindmelon wrote: I've never taken a transaction focused class or anything tax. A tax partner emailed to welcome me to the firm and said he has a research assignment for me when I get there. I don't even know how to fill out my own taxes.

I have taken a ton of transaction-oriented classes, just not one pertinent to a group I will be rotating through. Doh!

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:12 pm

What, if anything, should I bring with me on my first day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

When we get a research assignment, what sorts of questions should/can we ask? (Do we have to ask who the client is, etc.?)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 22, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markymark

Postby markymark » Sun May 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Started last week. First day was probably the single most stressful day of my life. But it got progressively better and better. The substance of the work isn't as hard (at least yet) as learning all the ins and outs of how 'things are done' at the firm. Biglaw seems like a steep learning curve. The social events help ease things along, though (i.e., help integrate you into the firm culture), and are definitely not the things that should be causing your stress.

Have you actually had a lot of work the first week? I assumed there would be a lot of computer training, etc.

weee

Postby weee » Sun May 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Starting tomorrow, still working on my write on and I only have a temporary place to live in the city where I'll be working, which I have to semi-move to later tonight.

I am nervous about the whole experience but excited too, mixed emotions definitely.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun May 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When we get a research assignment, what sorts of questions should/can we ask? (Do we have to ask who the client is, etc.?)

My advice is ask everything. The bar for what you are supposed to know of substantive law is very, very low; but they expect your work to look good when you turn it in. So it's better to ask, "what's a stock, and who holds it, and why are they suing?" than to try and teach yourself, get it wrong, and take too long to turn in something bad.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When we get a research assignment, what sorts of questions should/can we ask? (Do we have to ask who the client is, etc.?)

My advice is ask everything. The bar for what you are supposed to know of substantive law is very, very low; but they expect your work to look good when you turn it in. So it's better to ask, "what's a stock, and who holds it, and why are they suing?" than to try and teach yourself, get it wrong, and take too long to turn in something bad.

Oy vey. This is absolutely making me more nervous lol.

And PK Sebben....you're mean. Just really, really mean. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 8:43 pm

I'll be starting at a firm tomorrow too! Our dress code is business casual, but I planned on wearing a suit the first day. For females, does it matter between a pantsuit or a skirt suit? And if a skirt suit is more appropriate, pantyhose are a must, right?

Allure

Postby Allure » Sun May 22, 2011 8:50 pm

For what it's worth, my first day wasn't stressful at all. It really should only be as stressful as you make it to be. The bar is set so low for summer associates, that the summer program is really all about making good connections and being competent with the low responsibilities you're given. Going above and beyond that is welcome, but is in no way required, unless your firm is looking to no offer.

I understand the basis for the stress in this thread, but really this is a well oil machine. Law firms have been welcoming clueless law students for decades now. They know where you're coming from.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun May 22, 2011 8:57 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Oy vey. This is absolutely making me more nervous lol.

And PK Sebben....you're mean. Just really, really mean. :D

I just enjoy awkward moments. And my firm has a lot of awkward partners / associates so social events with the summers are just gold. Historically, my firm doesn't have a 100% offer rate, so I will enjoy the survivor aspect of it. OK. That's kinda cruel. /gets popcorn

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun May 22, 2011 9:04 pm

swc65 wrote:

Some states use a separate department of vital records, so going to the courthouse may not work. This site can get your stuff pretty fast if you need it quickly http://www.vitalchek.com/

I think you can get a temporary soc. sec. card when you go to the office that should be good enough until you actually get you card.

Appreciate it, I'll definitely check it out!

Edit: Actually found out I can pick up at the County Clerk's Office starting at 8:00 (perfect because I have to be at work at 9). Looks like an early morning for me.
Last edited by Stanford4Me on Sun May 22, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 9:11 pm

I realize this question has been asked a million times on here recently....but it's my thread so I don't care and I'm going to ask anyway.

Is a button down for a woman essential, or can I do a cute blouse under my suit? I keep thinking I should be more conservative and go the button down route on the first day, and then do the cute blouse later this week. A former SA told me that she would suggest doing a suit this entire week, but idk about that. Any thoughts?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I realize this question has been asked a million times on here recently....but it's my thread so I don't care and I'm going to ask anyway.

Is a button down for a woman essential, or can I do a cute blouse under my suit? I keep thinking I should be more conservative and go the button down route on the first day, and then do the cute blouse later this week. A former SA told me that she would suggest doing a suit this entire week, but idk about that. Any thoughts?

blouses are very common at my firm and we have a hardcore dress code.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Sun May 22, 2011 11:13 pm

What if your firm allows golf shirts for biz casual? Suit necessary on first day still?
(in a mid-size market, market paying firm).

I suppose I want to look good, but also don't want to look like an overdressed fool if the other SA's don't have suits (and there are only 3 other SA's at the firm with me).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun May 22, 2011 11:16 pm

dougroberts wrote:What if your firm allows golf shirts for biz casual? Suit necessary on first day still?
(in a mid-size market, market paying firm).

I suppose I want to look good, but also don't want to look like an overdressed fool if the other SA's don't have suits (and there are only 3 other SA's at the firm with me).

1) Just wear a suit. If it's too much you can take the jacket off and put it on the back of your chair.

2) Not directed at you, but golf shirts are not business casual. That's like "wear pajamas to work" for a dress code

Return to “Legal Employment”