SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dougroberts

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Postby dougroberts » Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 am

What do you think about calling attorneys at the firm who are older than you Mr. X or Ms. Y?
I'm only 23, so I sometimes feel it odd to call a 40 year-old partner Steve for example.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat May 28, 2011 1:45 am

dougroberts wrote:What do you think about calling attorneys at the firm who are older than you Mr. X or Ms. Y?
I'm only 23, so I sometimes feel it odd to call a 40 year-old partner Steve for example.

I often catch myself doing this and I quickly correct myself. I've been told by many people to refer to others by their first name.

DMBFan

Postby DMBFan » Sat May 28, 2011 1:57 am

f7 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
dougroberts wrote:What do you think about calling attorneys at the firm who are older than you Mr. X or Ms. Y?

I often catch myself doing this and I quickly correct myself. I've been told by many people to refer to others by their first name.

No one at my firm calls anyone Mr./Ms. in person. Maybe in an E-mail if you don't know them very well, but that's about it.

That's interesting. Is this pretty much standard? Is it different when speaking to a partner? I was in the military so I will have to try very hard not to call people "sir" or "Mr. X."

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat May 28, 2011 8:33 am

DMBFan wrote:
f7 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

No one at my firm calls anyone Mr./Ms. in person. Maybe in an E-mail if you don't know them very well, but that's about it.

That's interesting. Is this pretty much standard? Is it different when speaking to a partner? I was in the military so I will have to try very hard not to call people "sir" or "Mr. X."

I made this faux pas at my old firm as an admin employee. Everyone there went by first names. Same thing goes for my current firm. I'm also former military, and it is very easy to analogies the partner-associate relationship to that of officer/senior enlisted-enlisted....but fear not, in most places, it is not that rigid or formal. I would guess that many firms try to keep that relationship open and welcoming.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 am

I tend to call everybody Mr./Ms. at my firm, and it seems to be fine. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's expected.

I think it's a good habit (and polite) to call people Mr./Ms., but most folks that don't want to be referred to that way will say, "just call me____." If they do, then you should call them by that. Like you, I'm pretty uncomfortable calling a 40-50 year old by his/her first name, but, if that's what the person wants, it's definitely fine to do it.

As for sir/ma'am, I think that's just a good habit exhibiting politeness that I'd never be able to break even if I wanted to. It's kind of automatic, like saying "thank you" to someone holding a door for you.

Indubitably

Postby Indubitably » Sat May 28, 2011 12:10 pm

I am going to be SA-ing at a firm that has casual Fridays. On those days, can I wear my chain and turtleneck sweater?

Thank you in advance!

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Sat May 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Indubitably wrote:I am going to be SA-ing at a firm that has casual Fridays. On those days, can I wear my chain and turtleneck sweater?

Thank you in advance!

Yes, you can wear this if you want to be no-offered!! At least wear a polo or something.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Sat May 28, 2011 4:22 pm

How many of you take your work laptop homes daily and/or on weekends?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sat May 28, 2011 4:25 pm

dougroberts wrote:How many of you take your work laptop homes daily and/or on weekends?

Not in my first week. I think if I did the firm wouldn't be too thrilled about it.

drylo

Postby drylo » Sat May 28, 2011 5:08 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

I tend to call everybody Mr./Ms. at my firm, and it seems to be fine. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's expected.

I think it's a good habit (and polite) to call people Mr./Ms., but most folks that don't want to be referred to that way will say, "just call me____." If they do, then you should call them by that. Like you, I'm pretty uncomfortable calling a 40-50 year old by his/her first name, but, if that's what the person wants, it's definitely fine to do it.

As for sir/ma'am, I think that's just a good habit exhibiting politeness that I'd never be able to break even if I wanted to. It's kind of automatic, like saying "thank you" to someone holding a door for you.

I agree with you. If a lawyer is over 40 (approx)., I don't think you can go wrong with addressing him/her as Mr./Ms. The worst that happens is they tell you to call them their first name once, and then you do that.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 28, 2011 11:14 pm

drylo wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

I agree with you. If a lawyer is over 40 (approx)., I don't think you can go wrong with addressing him/her as Mr./Ms. The worst that happens is they tell you to call them their first name once, and then you do that.

What if it is a partner in his/her mid 30s (or even early 30s!)? I have a strong tendency to call ppl Mr./Ms. but ive been told that is actually odd. Their introductions of themselves dont help either, it is always "Hi I'm [first name and last name], nice to meet you" lol. I'm pretty sure i wont be dropping the sir's or ma'ams however -- grew up in TX so that one will be hard to get rid of for me :P

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
drylo wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

What if it is a partner in his/her mid 30s (or even early 30s!)? I have a strong tendency to call ppl Mr./Ms. but ive been told that is actually odd. Their introductions of themselves dont help either, it is always "Hi I'm [first name and last name], nice to meet you" lol. I'm pretty sure i wont be dropping the sir's or ma'ams however -- grew up in TX so that one will be hard to get rid of for me :P

Yeah. I'm the same way. Out of habit, I often call people in their late 20s/early 30s Mr./Ms., and I'm in my early 20s. I simply think it's respectful, and I don't see anything odd about it. For that matter, I say ma'am and sir to my waiters and waitresses when I eat (e.g. "thank you ma'am"), so I guess I might just be weird. O well, I'll be a polite weirdo. :D

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun May 29, 2011 4:43 pm

We survived our first weeks! Anyone else more tired than they thought they would be? I'm completely exhausted....mentally and physically. I feel more tired than I did during 1L! But I'm sure I will get into a routine and get used to it soon.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun May 29, 2011 5:37 pm

IzziesGal wrote:We survived our first weeks! Anyone else more tired than they thought they would be? I'm completely exhausted....mentally and physically. I feel more tired than I did during 1L! But I'm sure I will get into a routine and get used to it soon.

Yea, I'll agree that I'm more tired than I expected. Working continuously throughout the day is a little more exhausting than LS when you can set your own study schedule. Plus, coming off of 1L, I still haven't gotten over the tiredness I felt at the end of the semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2011 6:00 pm

IzziesGal wrote:We survived our first weeks! Anyone else more tired than they thought they would be?

Yes. I stayed late at my firm all week trying to find the answer to a question. On Friday, harried and broken, I came before the partner to explain that I had found nothing. It turns out that he expected that, which is why he had suggested that I not spend too much time on it. I have a lot to learn.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun May 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:We survived our first weeks! Anyone else more tired than they thought they would be?

Yes. I stayed late at my firm all week trying to find the answer to a question. On Friday, harried and broken, I came before the partner to explain that I had found nothing. It turns out that he expected that, which is why he had suggested that I not spend too much time on it. I have a lot to learn.

Very common.

SA's are very often put on "loser" assignments -- dead ends and back alleys that the partner and senior associates are 99% aren't going to go anywhere, but just want to tie up.

This is why it is important when you get an assignment to find out how long they expect it to take and then ask, in the meeting they give you the assignment, if it is ok if you check in with them at (fill in an appropriate time, usually about 1/2 through how long they expect it to take to be done). At that point in time you should come back to them with either an outline of what you plan on writing up, or a quick overview of the paths you have taken (if you haven't found anything yet). Ask if you are on the right track. This gives the assigning attorney time to see what you've done and direct the rest of your time so you aren't wasting it and to assure they get the deliverable they want.

Great that you were able to learn this in your first week. It should put you in a good position for the rest of the summer!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun May 29, 2011 7:49 pm

My firms has been very easy on us. I'm just preparing myself to wake up from this dream.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 am

IzziesGal wrote:We survived our first weeks! Anyone else more tired than they thought they would be? I'm completely exhausted....mentally and physically. I feel more tired than I did during 1L! But I'm sure I will get into a routine and get used to it soon.

I have had to work a lot more, in terms of hours, than I did during finals 1L and 2L year. Oddly enough, I feel a lot more energized putting in 12 hour days at work than I do putting in 4 hour days at school. Maybe I just like work a lot more.

lawcraig

Postby lawcraig » Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 pm

All SAs received an email about the first day in which we were told expressly (in bold) to dress business casual on the first day (and rest of the summer). But people often say no matter what wear a suit.

Thoughts?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon May 30, 2011 11:37 pm

lawcraig wrote:All SAs received an email about the first day in which we were told expressly (in bold) to dress business casual on the first day (and rest of the summer). But people often say no matter what wear a suit.

Thoughts?

Normally I'm an advocate of a suit on the first day for a business casual firm when they didn't say anything. However, you were expressly told, in bold!!, not to wear a suit. Do you really want to ignore the very first thing they ask of you? Wear slacks, a button-down shirt, and a tie, and be prepared to take the tie off if no one else is wearing one.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 30, 2011 11:42 pm

lawcraig wrote:All SAs received an email about the first day in which we were told expressly (in bold) to dress business casual on the first day (and rest of the summer). But people often say no matter what wear a suit.

Thoughts?

I got the same email. Wear a suit every day.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:49 pm

f7 wrote:

Thoughts?

Can't hurt to bring a jacket on the first day; you don't have to wear it if you'd be out of place in full on business formal.

Yeah my solution is always wear a suit and take the jacket off. Instant business casual.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon May 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Even during business formal at my firm, no one actually wore their jackets around the office. Assuming this is standard practice (which is a strong assumption), you should be find if you do decide to wear a suit on the first day. I, on the other had, will be enjoying our first day of business casual tomorrow.

Wahoo1L

Postby Wahoo1L » Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 am

Thoughts?

Don't wear a suit. Why would you wear a suit when they specifically tell you not to wear a suit? They're not trying to trick you when they say business casual.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue May 31, 2011 6:38 am

Happy second week, SAs!!! Today is payday for us. I can't express how happy I am to finally be pulling in a paycheck again!!!

Return to “Legal Employment”