SA-ing.....starting tomorrow Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dougroberts

Bronze

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Post by dougroberts » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my offer on the last day of my summer program, and it's an elating feeling. I actually decided I wanted a job like this after coming across TLS in '08 and have been working towards this ever since, it's almost surreal that it's happened.

I think it's awful firms make people wait weeks, much less months, after the program for offers. Good luck everyone still waiting!

Is anybody planning to shop up, or are people with offers mostly content and planning to return?

I love my firm, but will have to shop around for backups since I won't know about offers for a couple of months

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my offer on the last day of my summer program, and it's an elating feeling. I actually decided I wanted a job like this after coming across TLS in '08 and have been working towards this ever since, it's almost surreal that it's happened.

Couldn't agree more.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm

]
Last edited by 98234872348 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is anybody planning to shop up, or are people with offers mostly content and planning to return?
People told me I should do OCI, but I could come up with no reasons to do OCI other than stroking my ego. I'll be back with my firm next summer and for the next [insert number here] years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 am

Do firms conduct background checks prior to SAs starting? When does it happen? What do these generally entail?

(anonymous because my other posts could out me.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms conduct background checks prior to SAs starting? When does it happen? What do these generally entail?

Yes

Mine was a few weeks after the SA offer

Job history and criminal history for sure, not sure what else

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:08 am

wiseowl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms conduct background checks prior to SAs starting? When does it happen? What do these generally entail?

Yes

Mine was a few weeks after the SA offer

Job history and criminal history for sure, not sure what else
I just have a misdemeanor arrest from high school that I don't want to catch up with me. The charges were dismissed and expunged and I've checked: It does not appear on any official criminal background check. However, the court records still exist and are available if someone was looking that way....

Edit: Charges were dismissed pursuant to a diversionary program after I entered a plea of no-contest.

Thoughts?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 am

I can't say for sure, but if the court records are easily available they will be found. Own up to it if asked; trying to hide things now or sweep them under the rug won't be good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 am

Thank you. I'll definitely tell them about it if it's asked--it's just my second biggest fear right now is getting offered an SA and then having it rescinded because of this. (My primary fear is not getting offered an SA!).

Out of curiosity, what did the jobs check ask for? Just "real" jobs? or EVERY JOB YOU'VE EVER WORKED...Like, including part-time gigs in school/high school and etc...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you. I'll definitely tell them about it if it's asked--it's just my second biggest fear right now is getting offered an SA and then having it rescinded because of this. (My primary fear is not getting offered an SA!).

Out of curiosity, what did the jobs check ask for? Just "real" jobs? or EVERY JOB YOU'VE EVER WORKED...Like, including part-time gigs in school/high school and etc...
They verify everything on your resume. For me it wasn't really an active process at all; I got a phone call from the checking company asking for a contact number for a reference I had listed. I doubt they have the time to go back and look up W2s from the 90s, but I have no idea.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 am

There is no way they would rescind an offer because you were charged with a misdemeanor in high school.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Last day at the firm was today. Got an offer to return next summer right before I left. I have two weeks to decide.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Got an offer to return next summer. A minimum of two weeks and I will be considered for a full time position following that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:02 pm

How long do firms usually give you to respond?

I just got my offer via phone call but the offer letters (with all of the details/dates etc) won't arrive for a few days, just curious.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long do firms usually give you to respond?

I just got my offer via phone call but the offer letters (with all of the details/dates etc) won't arrive for a few days, just curious.
The NALP rules give you until November 1. I think most NALP firms follow that, but I might be mistaken.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”