SA-ing.....starting tomorrow Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IzziesGal

Silver

SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Post by IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Anyone else totally nervous? I'm really excited, but also want to do a good job.....hence, the nerves. I figure we can all use this thread as therapy for our anxiety. Or to make each other more paranoid. Whatever works. :wink:

patrickd139

Gold

Re: SA-ing.....starting tomorrow

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Worked till at least 8 every night this week, now doing research on a Sunday afternoon for a motion I'm writing.

Taking questions, insults, etc. ...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 2:25 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Worked till at least 8 every night this week, now doing research on a Sunday afternoon for a motion I'm writing.

This is for your summer SA gig?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeah, started last week though, not tomorrow. Haha...Maybe I'm in the wrong thread.

RevolverX

New

Post by RevolverX » Sun May 22, 2011 2:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Yeah, started last week though, not tomorrow. Haha...Maybe I'm in the wrong thread.
Can you give me an example of the kind of work you do, for example anything on the internet that remotely resembles the motion you are currently writing or something corollary to it that would allude to what you do..that's what I am interested in, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Mine starts tomorrow too. I am totally freaked because I am the only 1L in this SA class. I don't worry much about the 2Ls looking down on me, but I worry I won't measure up!!!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 pm

RevolverX wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Yeah, started last week though, not tomorrow. Haha...Maybe I'm in the wrong thread.
Can you give me an example of the kind of work you do, for example anything on the internet that remotely resembles the motion you are currently writing or something corollary to it that would allude to what you do..that's what I am interested in, thanks.

I am interested in this too

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:49 pm

swc65 wrote:
RevolverX wrote:

In vague terms, it's a motion to dismiss. Can't be much more specific than that, but you can google search and find some pretty good examples.

Other stuff I've done this week: two research assignments on employee benefits, document review for an M&A deal, afternoon baseball game and a few wine-and-dine lunches with attorneys at the firm.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun May 22, 2011 2:50 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Anyone else totally nervous? I'm really excited, but also want to do a good job.....hence, the nerves. I figure we can all use this thread as therapy for our anxiety. Or to make each other more paranoid. Whatever works. :wink:
I'm in! Start tomorrow morning. Excited and definitely don't want to screw up. Pretty nervous because of that. Just found out that my firm uses WestlawNext though, so that's one plus for them already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 2:53 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
swc65 wrote:
RevolverX wrote:

In vague terms, it's a motion to dismiss. Can't be much more specific than that, but you can google search and find some pretty good examples.

Other stuff I've done this week: two research assignments on employee benefits, document review for an M&A deal, afternoon baseball game and a few wine-and-dine lunches with attorneys at the firm.
You are already writing motions as a summer? Are you at a non-biglaw firm? It sounds like you've received a lot of work already in the first week....makes me more nervous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Is anyone else nervous about rotating through a transactional group they know nothing about? <eek>

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You are already writing motions as a summer? Are you at a non-biglaw firm? It sounds like you've received a lot of work already in the first week....makes me more nervous.
This isn't atypical. As a 2L at the USAO, I was writing motions in my first week as well. An MSJ, motions to compel doc production, etc....

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 3:07 pm

swc65 wrote:Mine starts tomorrow too. I am totally freaked because I am the only 1L in this SA class. I don't worry much about the 2Ls looking down on me, but I worry I won't measure up!!!
I wouldn't worry too much. I'm a rising 3L and I am totally terrified that I won't know anything. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 pm

It's fine. They don't give you stuff that they don't think you couldn't handle. Just manage your time well and don't be a social ape. Also, the guy staying till 8 is staying way too late.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Sun May 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Pretty nervous. Was excited, but am now worried cause I don't want to screw up.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun May 22, 2011 4:53 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Worked till at least 8 every night this week, now doing research on a Sunday afternoon for a motion I'm writing.

I've never heard of anyone staying until 8pm during a SA job, unless they had a deadline they had to meet. Doing this on a daily basis would probably make you stand out in a bad way (people might start questioning your efficiency if you have to stay that late to get your work done).

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 22, 2011 5:00 pm

What are you all wearing to your first day? My firm is business casual, but at my 1L gig last year (business casual too) everyone showed up in a suit the first day but 1 person and he stuck out in a not-good way. I'm leaning towards just suiting up and seeing what happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 22, 2011 5:01 pm

markymark wrote:Pretty nervous. Was excited, but am now worried cause I don't want to screw up.
This.
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else nervous about rotating through a transactional group they know nothing about? <eek>
I've never taken a transaction focused class or anything tax. A tax partner emailed to welcome me to the firm and said he has a research assignment for me when I get there. I don't even know how to fill out my own taxes.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Suit.

Over-dressed on the first day is 1,000x better than under-dressed.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:What are you all wearing to your first day? My firm is business casual, but at my 1L gig last year (business casual too) everyone showed up in a suit the first day but 1 person and he stuck out in a not-good way. I'm leaning towards just suiting up and seeing what happens.

My firm is business casual and I'm definitely wearing a suit the first day. IMO you can't go wrong in a suit on the first day.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun May 22, 2011 5:09 pm

markymark wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:What are you all wearing to your first day? My firm is business casual, but at my 1L gig last year (business casual too) everyone showed up in a suit the first day but 1 person and he stuck out in a not-good way. I'm leaning towards just suiting up and seeing what happens.

My firm is business casual and I'm definitely wearing a suit the first day. IMO you can't go wrong in a suit on the first day.
Yeah, wear the suit. Unless of course you've been told NOT to wear one.

If the suit ends up being more than what others are wearing, take the jacket off. Better to be safe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun May 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I start in the morning but can't find my SS card...I also left my birth certificate back in NYC, so providing them with originals will take a while. They sent us a schedule of events we're having the first week, looks like it'll be fun.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Sun May 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I start in the morning but can't find my SS card...I also left my birth certificate back in NYC, so providing them with originals will take a while. They sent us a schedule of events we're having the first week, looks like it'll be fun.

Can't you just bring in your passport?

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sun May 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Summers at my firm start tomorrow. I can't wait to see their anxious little faces.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun May 22, 2011 6:05 pm

markymark wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I start in the morning but can't find my SS card...I also left my birth certificate back in NYC, so providing them with originals will take a while. They sent us a schedule of events we're having the first week, looks like it'll be fun.

Can't you just bring in your passport?
Never been outside the US.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem. We sent in our paperwork/copies of our documentation a few weeks ago. I guess they just need originals for verification. I'm requesting my SS card tomorrow, and if they need it quicker I'll head to the courthouse and get another copy of by birth certificate. Long form, of course.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”