Question on Cravath Recruiting Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RevolverX

New

Question on Cravath Recruiting

Post by RevolverX » Fri May 20, 2011 3:10 pm

http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

1) Howard is not ranked; do they only do OCI there because of AA?

2) The lowest ranked school on the list is probably Fordham, which is considerably lower than say Indiana University or U Illinois (on a national level); however, do Fordham students have the advantage of gaining a position because of proximity in NY, whereas Indiana folks are at the disadvantage?

That is all.

thickfreakness

Silver

Re: Question on Cravath Recruiting

Post by thickfreakness » Fri May 20, 2011 5:45 pm

You're not getting to Cravath from Indiana, hth.

RevolverX

New

Post by RevolverX » Fri May 20, 2011 7:18 pm

So Fordham, despite being ranked nationally lower tha Indiana for instance, fares a better prospect because it's in NY and in this case, Fordham has stronger regional pull than national weight compared to Indy.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 pm

thickfreakness wrote:You're not getting to Cravath from Indiana, hth.
Statistically, this is closer to the truth. I wouldn't base ANY decisions on where Cravath recruits from.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Fri May 20, 2011 7:33 pm

0L dumb question: it says they have "X school job fairs". What's the difference between their fairs and visits to other campuses?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 pm

RevolverX wrote:http://www.cravath.com/interviewschedule/

1) Howard is not ranked; do they only do OCI there because of AA?

2) The lowest ranked school on the list is probably Fordham, which is considerably lower than say Indiana University or U Illinois (on a national level); however, do Fordham students have the advantage of gaining a position because of proximity in NY, whereas Indiana folks are at the disadvantage?

That is all.
USNWR rankings are irrelevant.

And the legal field is regional, which isn't shocking to say the least.

RevolverX

New

Post by RevolverX » Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Capitalist wrote:0L dumb question: it says they have "X school job fairs". What's the difference between their fairs and visits to other campuses?
Was gonna include that, but its better to hope for a designated visit to a specific school, rather than an annoying job fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Yes. There's more Fordham attorneys at Cravath than Penn. Fordham places really well there, even before they started being relatively unselective.

That said, I still think going to Cravath is one of the dumber moves you can make as a 2L.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm

I didn't look at the Cravath lawyer profiles, but I've noticed that most NLJ250 firms hire staff attorneys from Howard - not associates. Sure, occasionally one gets hired as an associate, but those are few and far inbetween.

All of the recruiting at Howard is a smokescreen meant to confuse the uninformed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Fri May 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That said, I still think going to Cravath is one of the dumber moves you can make as a 2L.
Care to elaborate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Capitalist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That said, I still think going to Cravath is one of the dumber moves you can make as a 2L.
Care to elaborate?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cravath,_S ... ore#Hiring
Entry to the firm is highly selective, generally open to only the most academically successful students from the most elite law schools in the United States and Canada. As with many top law firms, employee turnover is exceedingly high, with many attorneys departing the firm following a relatively brief tenure. As a rule of thumb, a third of an entering class departs by the end of their third year, and another third of those remaining depart by the end of their fifth year.[8]

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
Care to elaborate?
Entry to the firm is highly selective, generally open to only the most academically successful students from the most elite law schools in the United States and Canada. As with many top law firms, employee turnover is exceedingly high, with many attorneys departing the firm following a relatively brief tenure. As a rule of thumb, a third of an entering class departs by the end of their third year, and another third of those remaining depart by the end of their fifth year.[8]
So, you think all of biglaw is a bad idea, then?

RevolverX

New

Post by RevolverX » Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
Care to elaborate?
So, you think all of biglaw is a bad idea, then?
Indeed. To wit:

--LinkRemoved--

"Seriously, law students don't realize how much BIGLAW sucks. You can do it for a few years (I have) but after a while you realize that if you do this for life you will go fucking crazy and miss out on so much shit. I don't admit anyone who's a partner at work- I feel sorry for them. Because 99% of them are tools who just work all the time. They never have time to enjoy their money and they have no hobbies outside work. They are just fucking tools working for corporate America, and their entire life is defined by maximizing their billable hours."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 20, 2011 10:52 pm

RevolverX wrote:
Indeed. To wit:

--LinkRemoved--

"Seriously, law students don't realize how much BIGLAW sucks. You can do it for a few years (I have) but after a while you realize that if you do this for life you will go fucking crazy and miss out on so much shit. I don't admit anyone who's a partner at work- I feel sorry for them. Because 99% of them are tools who just work all the time. They never have time to enjoy their money and they have no hobbies outside work. They are just fucking tools working for corporate America, and their entire life is defined by maximizing their billable hours."
I like to work, and I don't have any hobbies.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Sat May 21, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
If 1/3 of your class is still around after year 5, that's pretty good. Biglaw = high attrition rates; this is nothing new, it's how the business model works.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Sat May 21, 2011 1:43 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Sat May 21, 2011 1:44 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat May 21, 2011 1:54 am

Rock Chalk wrote:
RevolverX wrote:do Fordham students have the advantage of gaining a position because of proximity in NY, whereas Indiana folks are at the disadvantage?
Yes. It's a good school, it's conveniently close, and multiple Cravath partners are Fordham grads. Why wouldn't they go?
Fordham is a NYC biglaw institution. Top dudes at Fordham still get jerbs at the white shoes - WLRK. Indiana folks gonna have a tough time pulling biglaw, period.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat May 21, 2011 1:56 am

FWIW I think there was maybe one student at IU that got NYC Big law (Excluding transfers) much less Cravath

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 21, 2011 1:58 am

PKSebben wrote:Top dudes at Fordham
--ImageRemoved--

RevolverX

New

Post by RevolverX » Sat May 21, 2011 2:07 am

kings84_wr wrote:FWIW I think there was maybe one student at IU that got NYC Big law (Excluding transfers) much less Cravath
I guess then that national rankings are sometimes irrelevant and immaterial, particularly with regard to Cravath hiring methods. According to TLS rankings, Fordham is ranked #30, whereas Indy is #23: http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Like the earlier poster said, there are more Fordham grads than Penn grads in the firm, looks like "regional" schools sometimes have more influence than national ones, and I find that intriguing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 am

RevolverX wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:FWIW I think there was maybe one student at IU that got NYC Big law (Excluding transfers) much less Cravath
I guess then that national rankings are sometimes irrelevant and immaterial, particularly with regard to Cravath hiring methods. According to TLS rankings, Fordham is ranked #30, whereas Indy is #23: http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Like the earlier poster said, there are more Fordham grads than Penn grads in the firm, looks like "regional" schools sometimes have more influence than national ones, and I find that intriguing.
Pretty much.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat May 21, 2011 9:15 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I didn't look at the Cravath lawyer profiles, but I've noticed that most NLJ250 firms hire staff attorneys from Howard - not associates. Sure, occasionally one gets hired as an associate, but those are few and far inbetween.

All of the recruiting at Howard is a smokescreen meant to confuse the uninformed.
My old firm (V50) hires about one new associate each year from Howard, but they're pretty big standouts (and all AA... I doubt an ORM could go to Howard and expect BigLaw recruiters to look at him/her).

And yes, big firms will round out their NY SA classes with Fordham students over those at higher ranked T1s because it's local, respectable, and practically free (cab fare) to send attorneys there.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 am

Renzo wrote:
RevolverX wrote:
Indeed. To wit:

--LinkRemoved--

I like to work, and I don't have any hobbies.

I'm also incredibly boring. That helps.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 am

PKSebben wrote:
Fordham is a NYC biglaw institution. Top dudes at Fordham still get jerbs at the white shoes - WLRK.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”