The longest of long shots

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

The longest of long shots

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2011 11:59 am

Hi all. I find myself in a bit of a bind here, and could use any and all possible help.

In short, I took a public interest job this summer. Because it doesn't pay I was depending on summer funding from my school (Boalt). I have just learned that, because of a technicality, I am one of the few that does not qualify (have no fear future Boalties; this is extremely rare, and everyone else I know who applied for the funding has gotten it).

I now find myself in a terrible position: it is May 20th and I need to find a summer job that pays.

I know this is pretty unlikely but I figured I would make use of the always-resourceful TLS network and ask if anyone knows of anything. I don't need to get rich (that is, I don't expect any 1L SA positions to remain). I am just looking for legal work that pays enough to get me through the summer (so I am assuming something hourly).

Does anyone know of anything? If it helps, I have decent grades (~ top 25%, with HH's in both torts and WOA)

Thanks for reading my probably-hopeless post...

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm

I can't imagine any paying 1L job that you will find at this point. It would also be a bad move to skip on the gig you already committed to, and you need to do legal work this summer, even more than you need to make money. It sucks, but if you just gotta pay the rent, tend bar, wait tables, or do temp work on nights and weekends.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all. I find myself in a bit of a bind here, and could use any and all possible help.

In short, I took a public interest job this summer. Because it doesn't pay I was depending on summer funding from my school (Boalt). I have just learned that, because of a technicality, I am one of the few that does not qualify (have no fear future Boalties; this is extremely rare, and everyone else I know who applied for the funding has gotten it).

I now find myself in a terrible position: it is May 20th and I need to find a summer job that pays.

I know this is pretty unlikely but I figured I would make use of the always-resourceful TLS network and ask if anyone knows of anything. I don't need to get rich (that is, I don't expect any 1L SA positions to remain). I am just looking for legal work that pays enough to get me through the summer (so I am assuming something hourly).

Does anyone know of anything? If it helps, I have decent grades (~ top 25%, with HH's in both torts and WOA)

Thanks for reading my probably-hopeless post...


1) Does Boalt offer a practicum so that you get class credit, and therefore loan money?

2) Find a part time job at night.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 pm

It sucks, but if you just gotta pay the rent, tend bar, wait tables, or do temp work on nights and weekends.


I agree with you, and I would do the above. Problem is that the summer job is abroad, and I would not be able to make any money tending bar, waiting tables etc.

I have exhausted pretty much every other option. This is an absolute last resort, and one that I have to take if possible.

(as for bailing on the summer job, I have spoken with them. They understand - I have done tons of volunteer work with them in the past, we have a good relationship)

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I agree with you, and I would do the above. Problem is that the summer job is abroad, and I would not be able to make any money tending bar, waiting tables etc.

Is it in a place you can live super cheap?

Don't know how Boalt covers these things, but you might try your clinics and law school library if you haven't yet. They sometimes have paid jobs to cover cases and busy work that would be done by students during the year. Also any professors you know well who might pay you for RA work. Those are the only things I can think of that might even possibly exist at this late date.

If you're stuck at home in order to make money then, I still recommend working nights and weekends doing anything, and scrambling for an unpaid legal gig locally.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 pm

You may want to consider finding someone who you know really trusts you and is loaded and asking them for a summer loan of say 3k. then use your next semester loan monies to pay it back. you will have to skimp in the Fall to pay cover the difference, but it is better then not having anything on your resume.

or you can go somewhere rent free(your current place? parents?) in the US and knock on doors of legal-aid and NGOs(legal and non-legal) in the area until you find something.

you could also do an independent research project here in the US. talk to one of your profs and see if you can work with them where you are doing the research and publishing, and they are offering guidance.

but if you don't do anything legal related..that is going to be very bad.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby Lawquacious » Sun May 22, 2011 7:36 pm

gwuorbust wrote:You may want to consider finding someone who you know really trusts you and is loaded and asking them for a summer loan of say 3k. then use your next semester loan monies to pay it back. you will have to skimp in the Fall to pay cover the difference, but it is better then not having anything on your resume.

or you can go somewhere rent free(your current place? parents?) in the US and knock on doors of legal-aid and NGOs(legal and non-legal) in the area until you find something.

you could also do an independent research project here in the US. talk to one of your profs and see if you can work with them where you are doing the research and publishing, and they are offering guidance.

but if you don't do anything legal related..that is going to be very bad.


This sounds like a pretty good suggestion to me.. I think getting a personal loan from a non-biz entity (such as family and friends) can be problematic for the relationship with that person, but I'm not sure if you can get a loan from a bank for the summer given that it would probably be handed out on the basis of your regular income (which it sounds like is zero). Hence I think getting a loan through someone you know who is willing to get it, and immediately paying it off with your fall loans, could work.

prawnstar
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby prawnstar » Mon May 23, 2011 1:52 am

hey, I am a 2L from Boalt. A couple of friends last year last minute were able to find summer jobs by RAing for a prof.Those friends still ended up with a firm job so don't worry about that issue.

Ask your torts prof if you can RA for him or one of the other profs who liked you. RAing pays about 15 an hour and you have a chance to write memos and get a writing sample out of it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The longest of long shots

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm

OP here. Thanks everyone for the recommendations - this is all very helpful. I had not considered the RA idea, I will definitely look into that...

Meanwhile, I am wondering if anyone has any immediate insight to offer on the following: I have a couple of leads to follow with local plaintiffs-side firms. If one of those leads came through, how do you all think defense-side firms would view a 1L summer spent plaintiff's side?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.