Rising 3l Job Search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thelawguy

New

Rising 3l Job Search

Post by thelawguy » Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 pm

So for the many of you like me who didnt get a SA. When do you plan to send out you applications? Mid July? earlier? later? Also what type of creds to you think it will take to get a job? Are firms roughly as selective as they were for SA positions or do your grades need to be even stronger than they would have been to get a SA position?
How many firms are you applying to? I am debating sending out more general cover letters to a huge number of firms using mail merge or sending out more targeted letters to a smaller number of firms.

sanpiero

Silver

Re: Rising 3l Job Search

Post by sanpiero » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm

thelawguy wrote:So for the many of you like me who didnt get a SA. When do you plan to send out you applications? Mid July? earlier? later? Also what type of creds to you think it will take to get a job? Are firms roughly as selective as they were for SA positions or do your grades need to be even stronger than they would have been to get a SA position?
How many firms are you applying to? I am debating sending out more general cover letters to a huge number of firms using mail merge or sending out more targeted letters to a smaller number of firms.
Cured a disease, Olympic medalist, Pulitzer, uncle chairs recruiting committee, etc.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:33 pm

sanpiero wrote:
thelawguy wrote:So for the many of you like me who didnt get a SA. When do you plan to send out you applications? Mid July? earlier? later? Also what type of creds to you think it will take to get a job? Are firms roughly as selective as they were for SA positions or do your grades need to be even stronger than they would have been to get a SA position?
Cured a disease, Olympic medalist, Pulitzer, uncle chairs recruiting committee, etc.
I am going to start mailing around August 1. Of the people I know who picked up Biglaw gigs their 3L year at my CCN, they all had much better grades as 2Ls than during their 1L year. However, they all got offers at much better firms than they would have their 2L year. I know of some opportunities that came up during the year at my school, one 3L I met had a Biglaw interview in late April.

The question will be whether there is more 3L hiring this year than last. If c/o 2012 is seeing the new normal class size and c/o 2011 had lower numbers, that doesn't look good for those of us trying to snag a spot as 3Ls. It might also depend on how many SA's trade up and whether those firms they are trading up from try to fill their spots with new hires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Timbs, what kinds of grades did the 3Ls that got jobs as 3Ls (but didn't get jobs as 2Ls) have? Kent? Stone? Also, were they on the flagship law review? I'll be applying for jobs as a 3L from CCN as well, so I'm interested to know. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”