Rising 2L mass mailing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Core

Rising 2L mass mailing

Postby Core » Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 pm

At what point in the summer is it wise to mass mail firms/offices/agencies not attending OCI? Thanks.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Rising 2L mass mailing

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Core wrote:At what point in the summer is it wise to mass mail firms/offices/agencies not attending OCI? Thanks.

Per my career services officer, and with absolutely no knowledge of my own: July 15th onward. Something about firms spinning up for hiring around that time. take with a HUGE grain of salt.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm probably going to start around July 21 after journal results come out and when I'm still working at home to do interviews at home.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 pm

not sure if I should ask here, but should we mass mail firms that do come to OCI? for an added "I'm interested"? or is this not done?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 19, 2011 1:55 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:not sure if I should ask here, but should we mass mail firms that do come to OCI? for an added "I'm interested"? or is this not done?

Don't do it, as it is a waste of their time.

Core

Postby Core » Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks. Does anyone know if this holds true for government jobs as well?

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 pm

I wouldn't "mass mail"; rather I'd specifically target and address firms that you are interested in. Make your applications somewhat personalized. I only applied to 20 firms, but I got 3 callbacks by using this method, and it supplemented my OCI results nicely.

If your grades meet the firm cutoffs, and you express a genuine interest, there is no reason why they wouldn't give you a callback. On the other hand, if you send them an obvious general template, your app will go straight to the trash.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Core wrote:Thanks. Does anyone know if this holds true for government jobs as well?

Many, if not most, government jobs have specific applications that you will need to fill out in order to be considered. Government hiring also takes place considerably later in the year than does firm hiring.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:I wouldn't "mass mail"; rather I'd specifically target and address firms that you are interested in. Make your applications somewhat personalized. I only applied to 20 firms, but I got 3 callbacks by using this method, and it supplemented my OCI results nicely.

If your grades meet the firm cutoffs, and you express a genuine interest, there is no reason why they wouldn't give you a callback. On the other hand, if you send them an obvious general template, your app will go straight to the trash.

Do you know of any samples of personalized CL's out there for firms? Or is it just a basic cover letter with stuff included about your interests/background and how it fits with the particular firm? I'm just trying to get an idea of how to successfully structure targeted mailing letters.

Return to “Legal Employment”