Tax Law Specific Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tax Law Specific Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Hey

Looking for useful input on the following:

Rising 3L at GULC, doing the JD/LLM combo in tax, one benefit to this is that I will get another go round at "2L" OCI, grades are solidly in top 1/3 but not inside the top 10%, got 2 biglaw offers last year but neither place had a significant tax department so I took summer employment with an excellent boutique tax firm here in DC (post graduate employment there is doubtful/non-existent as they only make experienced hires), fairly solid at interviews, journal, school involvement, etc. No significant pre law school W.E., but have significant/unusual softs (represented US in an non-mainstream Olympic sport) and went to a decent UG school.

Anyone have any advice on what I should be thinking for bidding strategy? I know that the top tier firms and DOJ tax department are out, but anyone have thoughts on how the LLM factors into the equation? Although I would prefer DC, I really don't care about location

Thanks for any advice

Anonymous User

Re: Tax Law Specific Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 8:23 pm

I did the GULC JD/LLM and did the second go-round OCI. To be honest, most firms think it's a bit odd when you are a 3L interviewing as a 2L, but things are better now than when I did it (in 2009).

My advice is to bid New York and/or a secondary market where you have connections. I get recruiter calls for positions all over the country- but NY is far and away the biggest place where recruiters are looking to fill associate positions. Don't assume top-tier firms are necessarily out- you never know who is in desperate need for a good tax Jr. The issue is that you won't get nearly as many screeners from bidding DC, and there are just not as many openings.

If OCI fails, network with the profs like it's your jobs. They the biggest sources of jobs for LLM people.

Return to “Legal Employment”