Penn-transferred from ll.m.-bidding advice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mjitbswyd

Bronze

Penn-transferred from ll.m.-bidding advice?

Post by mjitbswyd » Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 am

Just transferred from Upenn's llm to the JD - which means I'm up for 2L OCI this August with no 1L score.. All the courses and seminars I took were upper-levels (except for LW which is not graded) and the only "hard" course was corporation (others were things like 1st Amendment seminar, accounting, etc.). And as a llm I didn't have law review. My llm gpa is 4.0 (grading standard was same as JDs in the same class, though these upper-level courses were not strictly curved except for corporation) and I'm now doing summer internship in a white&case foreign office. I'm not URM.

I have no idea how to bid since my credentials are not very typical.. Any advise would very be helpful. Thanks!

Renzo

Gold

Re: Penn-transferred from ll.m.-bidding advice?

Post by Renzo » Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 am

If you did a year of law school classes at UPenn with a 4.0, even if they were easier than standard 1L fare, your grades aren't going to keep you out of any firms.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 pm

You're a summer associate at a biglaw firm now, and your grades are excellent. Bid high. I'd start at the top and work my way down.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Fri May 20, 2011 1:06 am

Renzo wrote:If you did a year of law school classes at UPenn with a 4.0, even if they were easier than standard 1L fare, your grades aren't going to keep you out of any firms.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. Though I'm still worried about the LR thing and my relatively poor interview and writing skills(due to the fact that I'm not a native speaker).

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Fri May 20, 2011 1:12 am

kurla88 wrote:You're a summer associate at a biglaw firm now, and your grades are excellent. Bid high. I'd start at the top and work my way down.
Thank you.

Well not exactly a SA..I got in through local recuitment, not the Asia SA program (they don't hire SA from llm program). So I'm doing the same thing (actually more because I can use local language) as those SAs but are paid 95% less (before tax)..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”