One great term, one shitty term: OCI impacts? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

OCI Impacts of 1 great/1 shit term, compared to 2 solid ones

No effect
38%
Makes you look better, since you've shown ability to do really well
4%
Makes you look worse, since you done fucked up
58%

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

One great term, one shitty term: OCI impacts?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 1:24 am

Here's the deal:

T10 school. Had a very strong first term (think top 5%), have been decidedly horrid since then (think bottom third). No particular reason, other than not being as excited about the classes I've been taking, the professors I have, etc.

At this point, I'm probably going to go into OCI around top 1/3 in my class. Trying for law review, but who knows. Pretty involved in school. 1L summer firm gig.

Basically, are firms that would normally be solid for a top 1/3 student now out-of-reach (due to lackluster performance after winter break), or will my cumulative record matter more than my individual terms? Could the fact I had a great term give me a slight boost from someone who was more consistent?

flcath

Silver

Re: One great term, one shitty term: OCI impacts?

Post by flcath » Wed May 18, 2011 1:30 am

Very little effect; any effect there is will be negative.

At least you'll be able to effectively prepare for your interviews.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed May 18, 2011 1:31 am

flcath wrote:Very little effect; any effect there is will be negative.
TCR

Disclaimer: 0L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 am

OP here: Any advice on how to respond to the inevitable "what the hell happened after Christmas" question would be welcome.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed May 18, 2011 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Any advice on how to respond to the inevitable "what the hell happened after Christmas" question would be welcome.
Lol. Like I said, at least you'll know exactly what you'll be talking about. I suggest:

"I was so stoked about my first term grades that I spent the entire spring blowing coke off of naked hookers down at La Puta Caliente." **Point in the general direction of the club.** "Figure I'm just prepping for what life's gonna be like when I start with you guyz, AMIRITE?!" **Stand and offer high-fives to the two gentlemen.**

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 am

flcath wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Any advice on how to respond to the inevitable "what the hell happened after Christmas" question would be welcome.
Lol. Like I said, at least you'll know exactly what you'll be talking about. I suggest:

"I was so stoked about my first term grades that I spent the entire spring blowing coke off of naked hookers down at La Puta Caliente." **Point in the general direction of the club.** "Figure I'm just prepping for what life's gonna be like when I start with you guyz, AMIRITE?!" **Stand and offer high-fives to the two gentlemen.**
TCR again, on a roll

hmu2584

New

Post by hmu2584 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 am

Relax. You will have the same prospects as anyone else in the bottom 1/3 of your class.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Relax. You will have the same prospects as anyone else in the bottom 1/3 of your class.
Why is this anonymous?

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed May 18, 2011 2:52 am

174 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Relax. You will have the same prospects as anyone else in the bottom 1/3 of your class.
Why is this anonymous?
Because then he can be a douche without anyone knowing!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 am

I dunno if this was a joke or you misread, but OP is in the top 1/3 overall, bottom 1/3 this semester.

Ideally you'd have had your bad semester in fall and your great semester in spring (that'd probably be better than 2 consistent performances), but I still can't see it being a problem. Bottom third isn't horrendous. It's not like you were the #1 in fall and then cruised in with a 2.6 in spring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

What about the firm that you're summering with? Will this affect their decision to give you an offer to come back for 2L summer?

This is my biggest fear. I was top 5% first semester, got a 1 SA gig, and now I'm deathly worried about my 2nd semester grades coming in as shit.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about the firm that you're summering with? Will this affect their decision to give you an offer to come back for 2L summer?

This is my biggest fear. I was top 5% first semester, got a 1 SA gig, and now I'm deathly worried about my 2nd semester grades coming in as shit.

Anyone have any experience with this?
OP here.

I'm not sure how it'll affect getting a 2L summer offer. I'm just going to do good work and hope they don't care too much. If others have info on this, though, I'd love to hear it.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 18, 2011 3:21 pm

flcath wrote:

This part is definitely TCR.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the real answer to this (not that you should give it in the interview)?

A top 5% to bottom 30% switch doesn't happen for "no particular reason." Hell, it doesn't happen when you quit studying. The only possibility that comes to mind is severe head trauma over Christmas break.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”