What is appropriate courtroom atire

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

What is appropriate courtroom atire

Postby Veyron » Tue May 17, 2011 9:52 pm

About to begin my summer position at a buisness casual outfit. I don't want to be denied the chance to go to court because I'm not rocking a suit on the day that I have the opportunity. Am I fine with any blazer or sport coat or even with just a button-down and slacks or should I keep a suit in the office?

patrickd139

Re: What is appropriate courtroom atire

Postby patrickd139 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Can't imagine you'll have the time to change into a suit if you're not already wearing it.

Keep a navy jacket and tie at the office.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue May 17, 2011 9:59 pm

I think it depends on the court. Around here (not a big city), attorneys only wear suits to court if there is a trial, and even then, there are plenty of SCs in the room.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Tue May 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Oftentimes you'll know ahead of time if you are going to court- so if an attorney says "Hey Veyron I have a hearing on Wednesday, want to come with," you can wear a suit that day. You can also just keep a navy blue blazer (assuming you're a dude) in your office and that will generally go with khakis/slacks to form acceptable courtroom attire. Keeping a blazer around will allow you to take advantages of situations where attorneys randomly pop in and tell you that they have a hearing, which also happens.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm

I thought orange jump suits were the attire of choice for the courtroom but that me be just for the defendants.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Sweet. All right, I'll just leave an old navy jacket at the office and roll up a tie and stick it somewhere.

dibs

Postby dibs » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

today i watched a girl come into court with a t-shirt that read "i love hot boys that party".

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Just keep a suit at the office. While from the perspective of the court it's fine if you wear a blazer (or less for that matter), I'm assuming you are working for a firm in a big city, and I can pretty much guarantee your boss will frown on you not wearing a suit to court (whether or not they tell you that much), and his or her opinion is all you should care about. Lawyers are a conservative profession, and in big cities, all the lawyers wear suits to court, even if you are not involved in the case.

If you're at a new york firm in particular, I think it would be a very, very bad idea to show up to court in anything but a suit.

Also:

patrickd139 wrote:Can't imagine you'll have the time to change into a suit if you're not already wearing it.

Really? It takes five minutes tops to change into a suit.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I always knew at least a day ahead of time when I'd be going to court.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Wear a suit to court.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 pm

I was once in court for a traffic case and a gentleman who was a defendent in the case before me had a t-shirt with the Warner Brothers logo and it said "if you see the police...warn a brother." Not surprisingly, he got a lecture from the judge on proper courtroom attire

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Just keep a suit at the office. While from the perspective of the court it's fine if you wear a blazer (or less for that matter), I'm assuming you are working for a firm in a big city, and I can pretty much guarantee your boss will frown on you not wearing a suit to court (whether or not they tell you that much), and his or her opinion is all you should care about. Lawyers are a conservative profession, and in big cities, all the lawyers wear suits to court, even if you are not involved in the case.

If you're at a new york firm in particular, I think it would be a very, very bad idea to show up to court in anything but a suit.

Also:

patrickd139 wrote:Can't imagine you'll have the time to change into a suit if you're not already wearing it.

Really? It takes five minutes tops to change into a suit.

Big city, but not a particularly dressy one. Think Houston, Dallas, San Diego, that sort of thing.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 pm

PKSebben wrote:Wear a suit to court.

Return to “Legal Employment”