Do I need a summer in the public sector?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zephyr36

Do I need a summer in the public sector?

Postby zephyr36 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

I have a few contacts that will almost guarantee me a paid in-house summer position at a major mineral corporation. I also plan to shoot for a firm my 2L year because I am paying sticker and need to minimize my debt load. However, my ideal plan would be to work at a firm for a few years to pay down debt and then move into prosecutor work (dream is AUSA, but whose isn't). Would a lack of public sector experience prior hurt my chances of finding a job is a mid to major market as an ADA? I plan on taking the necessary coursework and clinics, but I really need to make cash in law school. An unpaid internship won't really do that for me obviously.

BlueDiamond

Re: Do I need a summer in the public sector?

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue May 17, 2011 1:45 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I have a few contacts that will almost guarantee me a paid in-house summer position at a major mineral corporation. I also plan to shoot for a firm my 2L year because I am paying sticker and need to minimize my debt load. However, my ideal plan would be to work at a firm for a few years to pay down debt and then move into prosecutor work (dream is AUSA, but whose isn't). Would a lack of public sector experience prior hurt my chances of finding a job is a mid to major market as an ADA? I plan on taking the necessary coursework and clinics, but I really need to make cash in law school. An unpaid internship won't really do that for me obviously.

you need to tell the public sector to go screw itself

A'nold

Re: Do I need a summer in the public sector?

Postby A'nold » Tue May 17, 2011 1:56 pm

If your dream is to become a prosecutor, why not just use the government IBR program and work as a prosecutor directly out of school? Say you'd have 200k in loans after 3 years. Even though it wouldn't work out this way, say you could pay down your tab to 150k by the time you graduate. Both amounts are still substantial. Say you worked 3-4 years in biglaw to pay off the debt. You'd only have 6 years left in the job you already plan on working in for the rest of your career. IBR is income-based repayment and not based upon your debt load. After 10 years of work in the private sector your debt vanishes.

Return to “Legal Employment”