How to break into WLRK?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vamedic03

Re: How to break into WLRK?

Postby vamedic03 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Veyron wrote:
I love 0Ls.

You messed up your quoting above.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue May 17, 2011 6:47 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
I love 0Ls.

You messed up your quoting above.

You must not read many of my posts.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue May 17, 2011 6:50 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:51 pm

fatduck wrote:[italianjob]

Been there, done that. Though you've done it with more flair.

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Veyron wrote:
Kimchi_smile wrote:The last I want to do is to become a litigator. Too much speaking.

I love 0Ls.

:oops:

Sorry if I sound really dumb. Litigators go to court right? They...litigate? Why do you love 0Ls because I said too much speaking? :oops:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote: :oops:

Sorry if I sound really dumb. Litigators go to court right? They...litigate? Why do you love 0Ls because I said too much speaking? :oops:

Even litigators barely spend time in court.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 pm

This is like a high school student asking how to achieve a Rhodes scholarship.

Getting a little ahead of yourself.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue May 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Unless you want to do M&A, there are plenty of other firms that do more prestigious work. Yes, WLRK pays high bonuses (a product of deal work), but they are very, very good at one thing (M&A). If you want to litigate, there are better firms; if you want to do Tax, there are better firms; if you want to do regulatory work, there are better firms; and if you want to do a general corporate practice, there are better firms.

Point being - unless you want to do M&A, you should probably be looking at other firms.

I'm a 0L. In doing research about a career in M&A law, I was led to WLRK more or less by their prestige in M&A. I'm also interested in general corporate practice -- what are those "better" firms? Please advise on some. Thanks!

The last I want to do is to become a litigator. Too much speaking.

Don't let that bother you. Law firm lawyers almost never see the courtroom--particularly associates. The main thing you'll be seeing is your desk and the rest of the firm's office. From what I've been told by people at firms/people who've worked at them you basically pump out a ton of memos and do a lot of doc review.

RevolverX

Postby RevolverX » Wed May 18, 2011 3:04 am

I saw a profile of a JD from Ohio State - anyone care to explain then how he got Watchell? Perhaps it was the Order of Coif

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 am

RevolverX wrote:I saw a profile of a JD from Ohio State - anyone care to explain then how he got Watchell? Perhaps it was the Order of Coif

must have been a TLSer. it's the only explanation.

RevolverX

Postby RevolverX » Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 am

Someone earlier adduced that unless you're HYS or so and anything before that if you're not Gandhi in law school then Watchell doesn't recruit you. I don't know why then do they have people even from NYLS in their firm?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 am

RevolverX wrote:Someone earlier adduced that unless you're HYS or so and anything before that if you're not Gandhi in law school then Watchell doesn't recruit you. I don't know why then do they have people even from NYLS in their firm?

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 3:17 am

RevolverX wrote:Someone earlier adduced that unless you're HYS or so and anything before that if you're not Gandhi in law school then Watchell doesn't recruit you. I don't know why then do they have people even from NYLS in their firm?

Seriously, there are top 1/3-top half people from HYS who get Wachtell offers in a given year. There are also people who turn down Wachtell offers for "lesser" firms.

It's not some holy grail for top 10%-ers from HYSCCNP. Their selectivity is magnified only to the degree to which their bonuses make a 2L's package quiver.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 3:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously, there are top 1/3-top half people from HYS who get Wachtell offers in a given year. There are also people who turn down Wachtell offers for "lesser" firms.

It's not some holy grail for top 10%-ers from HYSCCNP. Their selectivity is magnified only to the degree to which their bonuses make a 2L's package quiver.

Truf. I'd never work for WLRK (even if I had the #s), the work they do seem boring as fuck - might as well just go into banking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 am

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Truf. I'd never work for WLRK (even if I had the #s), the work they do seem boring as fuck - might as well just go into banking.

M&A is probably among the most interesting legal work you can do, but keep telling yourself that. It's a lot easier to speculate on what you would do than to actually be in the position to choose.

edit: And, frankly, the people that get into WLRK have their pick of basically any other corporate firm in the world. If M&A was at all boring, these geniuses wouldn't be doing it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 18, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
M&A is probably among the most interesting legal work you can do, but keep telling yourself that. It's a lot easier to speculate on what you would do than to actually be in the position to choose.

Can you choose during OCI or summer associateship the department in which you want to work?

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 am

Are you an alumni at that eagle school? Where is that?
Doesn't look like a school in Virginia.

Yang?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed May 18, 2011 9:35 am

They recruit 90% of their associates from 8 schools:

Harvard: 26
Columbia: 18
NYU: 16
Yale: 12
Stanford: 12
Penn: 11
Chicago: 9
Duke: 6

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

edit: And, frankly, the people that get into WLRK have their pick of basically any other corporate firm in the world. If M&A was at all boring, these geniuses wouldn't be doing it.

*Fails to understand that boring and interesting are completely relative terms*

Never underestimate the willingness of geniuses to do boring things for money (though I'm sure many of them enjoy their work)

Personally, I want to be a lawyer because I want to work on "lawyerly" things, like ummm, IDK, cases? Is that really so difficult to grasp?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed May 18, 2011 11:46 am

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Never underestimate the willingness of geniuses to do boring things for money (though I'm sure many of them enjoy their work)

Personally, I want to be a lawyer because I want to work on "lawyerly" things, like ummm, IDK, cases? Is that really so difficult to grasp?

I'm not the anonymous person who wrote that, but I do agree with him. Just like you, I thought it'd be boring as hell, but Wachtell specializes in (or rather, pioneered in the 1980s through Marty Lipton) a very specific type of target-side M&A takeover expertise. Even if it sounds dull now, when you take Corporations those cases (including the recent developments, like Airgas) involve some of the most interesting developing legal issues around. Keep an open mind until you take the course - I can almost guarantee you it'll be the most interesting topic all semester.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 18, 2011 11:50 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I'm not the anonymous person who wrote that, but I do agree with him. Just like you, I thought it'd be boring as hell, but Wachtell specializes in (or rather, pioneered in the 1980s through Marty Lipton) a very specific type of target-side M&A takeover expertise. Even if it sounds dull now, when you take Corporations those cases (including the recent developments, like Airgas) involve some of the most interesting developing legal issues around. Keep an open mind until you take the course - I can almost guarantee you it'll be the most interesting topic all semester.

*reluctantly agrees to keep an open mind*

*waits with bated breath to start litigation work this summer*

Ironically enough, my best grades tend to be in more corporately oriented classes. Go figure. Knock wood.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed May 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Veyron wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Veyron wrote:

*reluctantly agrees to keep an open mind*

*waits with bated breath to start litigation work this summer*

Ironically enough, my best grades tend to be in more corporately oriented classes. Go figure. Knock wood.

Oh don't get me wrong - this is litigation, too. Wachtell structures their takeover defense so that it's defensible in court, but it also represents them in court to argue these defenses. M&A takeover defenses are transactionally implemented, but they're driven by and in response to the underlying Delaware (i.e., corporate) case law that continues to develop. For an example of some of the issues/considerations in these cases, http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/who-won-in-the-airgas-poison-pill-case/ might be an interesting read. In any event, glad to hear you're staying open to it.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed May 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Kimchi_smile wrote:The last I want to do is to become a litigator. Too much speaking.

I love 0Ls.

:oops:

Assuming you're in the litigation department of a Biglaw firm, you won't be actually speaking in court for a number of years. Of course this doesn't apply if you get a job with a trial practice (which you wouldn't want for the reason above).

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:19 pm

fumagalli wrote:Are you an alumni at that eagle school? Where is that?
Doesn't look like a school in Virginia.

Yang?

That's the symbol for Yonsei University, a prestigious university in Korea that is the most open to exchange students.

Return to “Legal Employment”