Political employment 1L summer - good or bad idea?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
duckmoney

Political employment 1L summer - good or bad idea?

Postby duckmoney » Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 am

I have some contacts in the legal department of a well known and very partisan DC organization that I might be able to turn into a job for 1L summer.

My question is, will it hurt me during the 2L job hunt if a firm sees a very partisan organization on my resume (which they may disagree with politically) or will they just consider it another DC legal job?

Cupidity

Re: Political employment 1L summer - good or bad idea?

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

Are you currently a 1L? If so, dear God lock down something!

If not, it won't harm you, but you could probably do better, keep it as a safety. It does depend what the organization is though, if it is partisan but respectable (think the Heritage Foundation) it will be fine, if it's some strange fringe group, that is different.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks for the tip.

No, current 0L, but I'm trying to get a heads-up on the job search. I was sort of hoping for it to be a backup position, but its good to know that it won't be a blight on my record if it comes down to that.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue May 17, 2011 8:53 pm

You should be alright, I had a lot of political experience on my resume (with one party) before LS and no one brought it up while I applied for 1L SAs.

Return to “Legal Employment”