List of real salaries across different legal markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Re: List of real salaries across different legal markets

Postby rayiner » Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 pm

strawboy1230 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
but in my opinion NYC is an amazing city to live in as a young professional.

It's a terrible place to live as a young professional. Things you want as a lawyer working 80 hours a week:

1) A nice apartment. The time you spend sleeping, showering in the morning, and brushing your teeth in the evening is going to be a big chunk of your free time. A dirty old NYC studio isn't conducive to maximizing that time.

2) Nice clean subway, nice clean streets. Getting from your apartment to your office each day is also going to comprise a big chunk of your "me time" during the day.

3) Good restaurants, nearby to your office and your house. Meals are going to make up most of the rest of your "me time" during the day.

New York is great for (3), but sucks for (1) and (2). This matters, b/c as an associate, you're not going to have time to go to lots of plays, etc.

New York seems like a great place to be an aspiring actor or musician, artist, or really anyone else who isn't caught up in the rat race and can take advantage of all the art, culture, and attractive people.

Lol you've never been to NYC have you?

I'm here right now. Had a nice salmon dinner at a cute Brazilian place in the east village while staring at the pile of trash across the street.

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm

rayiner wrote:
strawboy1230 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

It's a terrible place to live as a young professional. Things you want as a lawyer working 80 hours a week:

1) A nice apartment. The time you spend sleeping, showering in the morning, and brushing your teeth in the evening is going to be a big chunk of your free time. A dirty old NYC studio isn't conducive to maximizing that time.

2) Nice clean subway, nice clean streets. Getting from your apartment to your office each day is also going to comprise a big chunk of your "me time" during the day.

3) Good restaurants, nearby to your office and your house. Meals are going to make up most of the rest of your "me time" during the day.

New York is great for (3), but sucks for (1) and (2). This matters, b/c as an associate, you're not going to have time to go to lots of plays, etc.

New York seems like a great place to be an aspiring actor or musician, artist, or really anyone else who isn't caught up in the rat race and can take advantage of all the art, culture, and attractive people.

I'm here right now. Had a nice salmon dinner at a cute Brazilian place in the east village while staring at the pile of trash across the street.

Then maybe you should lateral to somewhere else.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

rayiner wrote:
strawboy1230 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

lol. Try Per Se: http://www.tkrg.org/upload/ps_menu.pdf or Daniel: http://www.danielnyc.com/daniel.html if you get a chance.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

strawboy1230 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
strawboy1230 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Then maybe you should lateral to somewhere else.

I'm a summer and am putting up with the layer of filth over everything for the preftige. Because that is one thing NY has going for it: preftige.

Seriously, though, melodrama aside, OP makes a point. NYC is super expensive and lawyers are too busy to really take full advantage of what it has to offer. Some people who really care will make the time, and if you're one of them, then great for you. But most won't, and for them the absolute QOL will be lower than what they could have had in another city.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sun May 15, 2011 10:01 pm

These cost of living calculators tend to vastly underrate how expensive it is to drive in a city like Houston. This gets even more true as you get older and have families. Gas/car payments/insurance/maintenance/parking tickets/parking costs/etc are incredibly large costs if you live in a city that's as spread out as Houston.

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Sun May 15, 2011 10:37 pm

If QoL is so bad and CoL is so expensive in NYC, why do the majority of top law school students aim for BigLaw jobs in NYC? Why don't they just go to LA?

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote:If QoL is so bad and CoL is so expensive in NYC, why do the majority of top law school students aim for BigLaw jobs in NYC? Why don't they just go to LA?

Because most biglaw jobs are in NYC.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sun May 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote:If QoL is so bad and CoL is so expensive in NYC, why do the majority of top law school students aim for BigLaw jobs in NYC? Why don't they just go to LA?

Prestige and most of the T25 is in the Northeast. Additionally, there is a certain segment of the population that simply cannot fathom people want to live somewhere other than New York. That's great and I'm happy for those people, but they often feel the need to foist their rationale for why NY is the greatest place in the history of civilization. That's why every time a thread brings up CoL or QoL, the Yankee brigade comes out of full force.

To those who are talking about arts/restaurants being superior: I hate to break it to you, but you probably couldn't tell the difference between the best sushi place in NY and the best in another city. You probably don't have the ear to hear the subtle differences between a NY and another major city's pianist-in-residence's version of Rachmaninoff, even though the NY version is indisputably better.

If you choose to live there, then that's perfectly fine but for the love of god stop nit-picking at housing and other stuff and admit that it's more expensive to live there.

edit: whoops, this was supposed to go in the NY preference thread, oh well--kind of pertinent after the derail.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun May 15, 2011 11:08 pm

LOL at 1L/0Ls, ITT, saying NYC blows. Wait until OCI ends. You might just end up there.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun May 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Omerta wrote:

Prestige and most of the T25 is in the Northeast. Additionally, there is a certain segment of the population that simply cannot fathom people want to live somewhere other than New York. That's great and I'm happy for those people, but they often feel the need to foist their rationale for why NY is the greatest place in the history of civilization. That's why every time a thread brings up CoL or QoL, the Yankee brigade comes out of full force.

To those who are talking about arts/restaurants being superior: I hate to break it to you, but you probably couldn't tell the difference between the best sushi place in NY and the best in another city. You probably don't have the ear to hear the subtle differences between a NY and another major city's pianist-in-residence's version of Rachmaninoff, even though the NY version is indisputably better.

If you choose to live there, then that's perfectly fine but for the love of god stop nit-picking at housing and other stuff and admit that it's more expensive to live there.

edit: whoops, this was supposed to go in the NY preference thread, oh well--kind of pertinent after the derail.

You're probably right as far as sushi, but that's because sushi isn't typically on the menu at a highest-end restaurant. What might you find? Here's the current tasting menu for the Fat Duck (if you're heading to London it's just over an hour outside the city):

NITRO POACHED APERITIFS
Vodka and Lime Sour, Gin and Tonic, Campari Soda
RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO
Pommery Grain Mustard Ice Cream
JELLY OF QUAIL, CRAYFISH CREAM
Chicken Liver Parfait, Oak Moss and Truffle Toast
SNAIL PORRIDGE
Iberico Bellota Ham, Shaved Fennel
ROAST FOIE GRAS
Rhubarb, Braised Konbu and Crab Biscuit
MOCK TURTLE SOUP (c.1850)
"Mad Hatter Tea"
"SOUND OF THE SEA"
SALMON POACHED IN A LIQUORICE GEL
Artichoke, Vanilla Mayonnaise and Golden Trout Roe
LAMB WITH CUCUMBER (C.1805)
Onion and Dill Fluid Gel
HOT AND ICED TEA
MACERATED STRAWBERRIES
Olive Oil Biscuit, Chamomile and Coriander
THE "BFG"
Kirsch Ice Cream and the smell of the Black Forest

As for Rachmaninoff, he was a composer so there isn't really a "version" of him, but as far as Classical music goes the main draw of New York is that everyone stops there on tour rather than the finite list of musicians who live in New York.

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm thinking of working in NYC for a few years as an associate, then get transferred to HK, where the housing cost is the same but tax is much less. Or maybe Seoul. But Korea's legal market is a shrimp.

What are real salaries in HK, Shanghai, and Seoul?

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:29 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote:I'm thinking of working in NYC for a few years as an associate, then get transferred to HK, where the housing cost is the same but tax is much less. Or maybe Seoul. But Korea's legal market is a shrimp.

That's because the only big cities s korea has are seoul and pusan.

And I don't think it's that easy to just up and work in places like HK and shanghai with an american law degree. They couldn't give less of **** that you went to law school in the states.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:35 pm

quakeroats wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Just one more reason why NYC biglaw is TTT. Note that the adjusted wealth numbers get even worse when you factor in the reality that NYC associates work appreciably longer hours than everyone else, even within the same firms.

A few of many factors that you might want to consider:

New York has more top restaurants than any city in the world (Paris would be a debatable exception, but it wasn't on the secondary-cities list)
New York has better access to arts and culture than any city listed.
Living in New York gives you greater access to people with power.
If you plan on sticking with law, compensation ratios for NY:non-NY partners tends to be higher than for NY:non-NY associates.

Really, you'll rarely find me sticking up for DC vs NY on anything, but...

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Sun May 15, 2011 11:41 pm

strawboy1230 wrote:
Kimchi_smile wrote:I'm thinking of working in NYC for a few years as an associate, then get transferred to HK, where the housing cost is the same but tax is much less. Or maybe Seoul. But Korea's legal market is a shrimp.

That's because the only big cities s korea has are seoul and pusan.

And I don't think it's that easy to just up and work in places like HK and shanghai with an american law degree. They couldn't give less of **** that you went to law school in the states.

Really? I've always been told the opposite. An American JD from T6 is prestigious enough to get a Big Law office associate position in big cities like HK and Shanghai. Can someone verify this?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:LOL at 1L/0Ls, ITT, saying NYC blows. Wait until OCI ends. You might just end up there.

+1.

You go to NYC because there are actually jobs in NYC. But let the median students bid on secondary markets, and then watch the shitshow in this year's OCI thread.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:LOL at 1L/0Ls, ITT, saying NYC blows. Wait until OCI ends. You might just end up there.

Lol at not realizing that moving to a place because you have no other choice has no impact on whether you personally like or dislike it. Also for people attending schools outside of the NYC market they have just as great (actually a greater) chance at ending up in that school's home market--not NYC--contrary to popular TLS belief. If you go to Florida State you're probably going to end up working in Florida, no matter how many biglaw jobs are in NYC. UT-Austin grads are probably going to end up in Texas, UGA grads in Georgia, Colorado grads in Colorado etc.

keg411 wrote:

+1.

You go to NYC because there are actually jobs in NYC. But let the median students bid on secondary markets, and then watch the shitshow in this year's OCI thread.

Lol if the median students go to a school in a secondary market, that secondary market is their best shot at a job. UGA and Florida state median aren't getting jobs in NYC. And for the people who go to top 14 schools but are from secondary markets, that's often their best shot at a job if that secondary market receives most of its competition from regional schools. Not to mention that this comment has no impact on the desirability of working in a secondary market--which was the main point of the thread.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 am

strawboy1230 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Just one more reason why NYC biglaw is TTT. Note that the adjusted wealth numbers get even worse when you factor in the reality that NYC associates work appreciably longer hours than everyone else, even within the same firms.

New York has more top restaurants than any city in the world (Paris would be a debatable exception, but it wasn't on the secondary-cities list)
If you plan on sticking with law, compensation ratios for NY:non-NY partners tends to be higher than for NY:non-NY associates.

This statement is often made by people with absolutely no understanding of art or culture.

It might be snobbishly written, but it's definitely true. You think COL is higher in NY for no reason? It's definitely the center of culture, arts, finance, etc. for the entire east coast. This is just true. There are very few cities that can compare to NYC. I'm glad that everyone's finally happy that they can finally one-up NYC in some way, but in my opinion NYC is an amazing city to live in as a young professional. The other cities might have lower cost of living...but what the hell are you gonna do there?

In the Milwaukee area:
The Milwaukee Museum of Art
The Country's Largest Music Festival
Professional Baseball, Football, and Basketball games. Minor league hockey games. Big Ten sporting events.
Church Festivals (don't knock it till you've tried it - they're a party)
Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Boating, Skiing, Hiking, Skydiving
Tour and Sample dozens of microbreweries
Bar league recreational softball, volleyball, flag football
Drive a car to the places you want to go, rather than being beholden to subway schedules and the perverts that ride them
Habitat for Humanity, Community Gardens
Golfing
etc.

But then again, I'm not a food snob and I don't give a shit about the opera (does anyone actually like the opera, or do they just like thinking they're better than other people because they go to the opera?)

Oh, and plus, with all the money you save living in the midwest, you can afford to save up for a vacation to NYC, visit the art museum, see the statue of liberty, eat overpriced food that tastes like shit, sit in a puddle of piss on the subway, and not have to deal with it for the other 355 days of the year. I'm just sayin'...

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 am

sundance95 wrote:It would be useful in regards to the DC numbers to know what the real income for a DC salary would be in Northern Virginia (Arlington/Alexandria) or Maryland, similar to what you've done with Brooklyn and Queens.

I see now that both Arlington's and Alexandria's COL are already included in the DC numbers. To my mind, that brings that DC number into question for those who wish to live in DC itself, as NOVA is considerably less expensive in many respects than DC, especially housing, and that is likely skewing DC's COL down.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon May 16, 2011 12:24 am

sundance95 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:It would be useful in regards to the DC numbers to know what the real income for a DC salary would be in Northern Virginia (Arlington/Alexandria) or Maryland, similar to what you've done with Brooklyn and Queens.

I see now that both Arlington's and Alexandria's COL are already included in the DC numbers. To my mind, that brings that DC number into question for those who wish to live in DC itself, as NOVA is considerably less expensive in many respects than DC, especially housing, and that is likely skewing DC's COL down.

This could actually be skewing everything.

ie Boston has 1,000,000 suburbs, so if those are included it really skews down housing and everything else for that too. I'm assuming as a young professional you'd want to cut down the commute as much as possible and live closer to the inner city, which is much more comparable to NYC costs.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:27 am

aliarrow wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

This could actually be skewing everything.

ie Boston has 1,000,000 suburbs, so if those are included it really skews down housing and everything else for that too. I'm assuming as a young professional you'd want to cut down the commute as much as possible and live closer to the inner city, which is much more comparable to NYC costs.

TBF, the site explicitly lists the DC category as 'DC-Arlington-Alexandria.'

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon May 16, 2011 1:11 am

Hippononymous wrote:
strawboy1230 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Just one more reason why NYC biglaw is TTT. Note that the adjusted wealth numbers get even worse when you factor in the reality that NYC associates work appreciably longer hours than everyone else, even within the same firms.

This statement is often made by people with absolutely no understanding of art or culture.

It might be snobbishly written, but it's definitely true. You think COL is higher in NY for no reason? It's definitely the center of culture, arts, finance, etc. for the entire east coast. This is just true. There are very few cities that can compare to NYC. I'm glad that everyone's finally happy that they can finally one-up NYC in some way, but in my opinion NYC is an amazing city to live in as a young professional. The other cities might have lower cost of living...but what the hell are you gonna do there?

In the Milwaukee area:
The Milwaukee Museum of Art
The Country's Largest Music Festival
Professional Baseball, Football, and Basketball games. Minor league hockey games. Big Ten sporting events.
Church Festivals (don't knock it till you've tried it - they're a party)
Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Boating, Skiing, Hiking, Skydiving
Tour and Sample dozens of microbreweries
Bar league recreational softball, volleyball, flag football
Drive a car to the places you want to go, rather than being beholden to subway schedules and the perverts that ride them
Habitat for Humanity, Community Gardens
Golfing
etc.

But then again, I'm not a food snob and I don't give a shit about the opera (does anyone actually like the opera, or do they just like thinking they're better than other people because they go to the opera?)

Oh, and plus, with all the money you save living in the midwest, you can afford to save up for a vacation to NYC, visit the art museum, see the statue of liberty, eat overpriced food that tastes like shit, sit in a puddle of piss on the subway, and not have to deal with it for the other 355 days of the year. I'm just sayin'...

Who goes to a music festival simply because it's the biggest? I've tried church festivals; they are no such thing. There are microbreweries everywhere, but there aren't any of note in Milwaukee--there's a cult brewery in Chicago though which just finished selling one of the best beers in the world (Dark Lord by 3 Floyds) the one day they offer it (it's on eBay for $75 or so a bottle if you're interested). I'd sooner ski North Carolina than Wisconson, and there's hunting, camping, fishing, boating, hiking, skydiving, softball, volleyball, golf and flag football everywhere. Have you been on a subway in New York since the Goetz case?

Yes, plenty of people like Opera (start with Verdi and Puccini and then go German), and you probably haven't tried enough food to know whether or not you're a foodie. You're right next to Chicago so stop in at Alinea or Charlie Trotter's; you just might change your mind.

Most of this is in jest, but my point is that New York has a lot more going for it than several posters seem to realize.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:13 am

quakeroats wrote:Most of this is in jest, but my point is that New York really has a lot more going for it than several posters seem to realize.

Truth, but it also has more drawbacks than most NYers are willing to admit.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 am

quakeroats wrote:
Omerta wrote:

You're probably right as far as sushi, but that's because sushi isn't typically on the menu at a highest-end restaurant. What might you find? Here's the current tasting menu for the Fat Duck (if you're heading to London it's just over an hour outside the city):

As for Rachmaninoff, he was a composer so there isn't really a "version" of him, but as far as Classical music goes the main draw of New York is that everyone stops there on tour rather than the finite list of musicians who live in New York.

lol @ your tasting menu. The point was that good restaurants are not an exclusively NY phenomenon. As for Classical music, it's pretty clear that isn't your strong suit since you obviously googled Rachmaninoff and have no idea what I was saying, so that part of New York shouldn't be of concern to you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

sundance95 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:Most of this is in jest, but my point is that New York really has a lot more going for it than several posters seem to realize.

Truth, but it also has more drawbacks than most NYers are willing to admit.

Tcr

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon May 16, 2011 3:11 am

Omerta wrote:lol @ your tasting menu. The point was that good restaurants are not an exclusively NY phenomenon. As for Classical music, it's pretty clear that isn't your strong suit since you obviously googled Rachmaninoff and have no idea what I was saying, so that part of New York shouldn't be of concern to you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

I did actually google him, but not because I didn't know who he was (I'm listening to The Isle of the Dead right now as I put the final touches on my Casenote, I swear! :D). I forgot the preferred transliteration of his surname. I'm partial to Rachmaninov, but wikipedia doesn't agree. Btw, that wasn't a synecdoche any more than I'm Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 am

quakeroats wrote:
Omerta wrote:lol @ your tasting menu. The point was that good restaurants are not an exclusively NY phenomenon. As for Classical music, it's pretty clear that isn't your strong suit since you obviously googled Rachmaninoff and have no idea what I was saying, so that part of New York shouldn't be of concern to you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

I did actually google him, but not because I didn't know who he was (I'm listening to The Isle of the Dead right now as I put the final touches on my Casenote, I swear! :D). I forgot the preferred transliteration of his surname. I'm partial to Rachmaninov, but wikipedia doesn't agree. Btw, that wasn't a synecdoche any more than I'm Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Is your avatar David Foster Wallace? It looks like him (to me at least), but I can't say for certain.

This thing went a little crazy, didn't it? It kind of seems like the basic point has been made, and unmade, and remade again. It just sort of boils down to preference. I think people who listen to Opera still are a joke, that fine dining is a scam, and that what the MOMA largely concerns itself with is being The Museum of Kind of Important, Relatively Recent, and Easily Recognizable Paintings and Stuff."

I could be way off base on all accounts, but for me I'd rather live in Santa Monica, eat at burrito joints on the beach, invest the extra scrilla, and spend the extra time with my family. QOL, for me, couldn't be lower than it is in New York (I hate not seeing the sun for days at a time, streets that exist in near perpetual shadow, expensive fast food, not being able to drive my car, and humidity).

Return to “Legal Employment”